Sonic Academy new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
kokotte
KVRian
698 posts since 17 Sep, 2014

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:27 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Demoing this synth and it's pretty great! Lovey sound and all kinds of useful features. The presets are excellent as well, I especially love the underworld rez patch, but I always want it to go to the second part of that sequence and it never does! ;)

Anyways a few criticisms I have:
-Much of the text is just too small for this big of an interface, and lots of hit has room to be bigger, especially the mod matrix. I'd resize some stuff to get the text bigger in many areas.
-Some areas of this large interface are very tiny mouse areas that don't need to be so small, like the waveform selector. Why not let the mouse click anywhere where it says Waveform or where it actually says Square or Saw for example. Right now you have to click this tiny little text area. Same with the patch arrows left and right. Why not have a bigger click area with that unused space to each side? I just find having to click tiny little mouse area in a huge interface really annoying personally. I think a lot of improvements can be made here.
-I think the sampler control are pretty whacky. The loop start actaully changes position when you change the sample start or end. The actual parameter itself is changing in the DAW, which is never the case in a synth, it can create all kinds of conflict. This should be rethought. I'd look at things like Ableton's Simpler or TAL Sampler for this kind of thing. But there are several ways to have this work better. For example you could have a loop start and a length parameter, which is relative to the loop start. This would also give another needed improvement which is that with one control yu can change the whole loop position (rather than having to move stat and end separately). However is usefulness in being able to adjust loop start and end separately but it would be good to at least have a link mode or something that ties the end to the start as a relative offset. Perhaps also for loop start being relative to sample start as you may want those related or indpendent. But you should NOT have a control changing all over the place based on other controls.

I'm actually hoping you do some kind of stretch/granular type thing with a position knob as well for scrubbing through. Again TAL Sampler is a good example to check out for simplicity of positioning in a sample without crazy granular capabilities.

And of course... MPE support please! This synth would make great use of it.
Thanks!
+1

Phil Sonic Academy
KVRist
482 posts since 10 Aug, 2006

Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:02 am

We will be doing some work on the sampler section shortly... will rework the loop controls.. they could Defo be more intuitive.

We hope to add timesretching and multisample / keyzones too.

We will probably do a “big window” mode like the g-env.

We have also been working on a filter in / out gain trim that sounds really cool with some of the non linear filters.

Examigan
KVRAF
4455 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:30 am

Phil Sonic Academy wrote:We will be doing some work on the sampler section shortly... will rework the loop controls.. they could Defo be more intuitive.

We have also been working on a filter in / out gain trim that sounds really cool with some of the non linear filters.
:tu:
Sounds great!

Maybe at some point can you also add some type of granular functionality?

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6188 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Examigan wrote:
Phil Sonic Academy wrote:We will be doing some work on the sampler section shortly... will rework the loop controls.. they could Defo be more intuitive.

Sounds great!

For a synthesizer I would actually do that before multisampling. Even if it’s just really basic, like a single speed knob that can be turned down right to zero, and allowing the playback position to be modulated. It’s the single most versatile function of a sample playing synth. Of course you can get into other parameters too like grain size and fades etc. as well depending on how complex it should get.

Some other nice examples to draw from for relatively simple granular playback would be alchemy and new sonic arts granite.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Examigan
KVRAF
4455 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Examigan wrote:

Sounds great!

For a synthesizer I would actually do that before multisampling. Even if it’s just really basic, like a single speed knob that can be turned down right to zero, and allowing the playback position to be modulated. It’s the single most versatile function of a sample playing synth. Of course you can get into other parameters too like grain size and fades etc. as well depending on how complex it should get.

Some other nice examples to draw from for relatively simple granular playback would be alchemy and new sonic arts granite.
I agree.

I really like ANA 2, but can you imagine a few little improvements on the synthesis side here and there, and then some cool granular functions on the sampling side? I hope they can do all of that. :)

nordickvr
KVRian
935 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Examigan wrote:
Phil Sonic Academy wrote: ...
Sounds great!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:...

+++++1
ANA2 with some granular would be really, really amazing.

DavidCarlyon
KVRist
80 posts since 17 Mar, 2018

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:58 am

AWESOME! Time stretching would be sick! Multi Sample also would be great. I already have massive workstation synths that do that, and I do like the quick nature of the simple sampler....so time stretch, for me, would be the most welcome. But hey, all sounds great to me.

Am I tripping or are the filters on this thing AWESOME? I have all the soft synths under the sun, but there is something about the filters on this one that just gets me every time.

Phil Sonic Academy
KVRist

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm

DavidCarlyon wrote:

AWESOME! Time stretching would be sick! Multi Sample also would be great. I already have massive workstation synths that do that, and I do like the quick nature of the simple sampler....so time stretch, for me, would be the most welcome. But hey, all sounds great to me.

Am I tripping or are the filters on this thing AWESOME? I have all the soft synths under the sun, but there is something about the filters on this one that just gets me every time.
If you have the cpu try them at higher sample rates.. they can sound even better.

The guy that did the filters is Ivan Cohen... he has PhD in circuit modelling. Very smart dude.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 pm

is MPE on the radar for ANA2?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Coockie1176ln
KVRian
1107 posts since 30 Jun, 2015

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:06 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:is MPE on the radar for ANA2?
doubt it, i mean its a bit late to implement mpe, they would have to reconfigure the whole engine. That´s something they would have to do from start. Sure there is allways a small chance but not big enought to give anyone any hopes up

Phil Sonic Academy
KVRist

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:30 am

I don’t think it would take an engine rewrite. Our modulation system is polyphonic so would just need to create a MPE modulation source with hook ups to the right midi specs.

We also use JUCE framework which I believe has some stuff prebuilt. Defo something we will look at once the new midi spec is nailed down and has some more adoption.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:34 am

Phil Sonic Academy wrote:I don’t think it would take an engine rewrite. Our modulation system is polyphonic so would just need to create a MPE modulation source with hook ups to the right midi specs.

We also use JUCE framework which I believe has some stuff prebuilt. Defo something we will look at once the new midi spec is nailed down and has some more adoption.
The midi spec is official now, has been for a couple months hasn't it? And there is lots of adoption. There are lots of new controllers supporting. Not just Roli and linnstrument, but Sensel Morph, KeithMcMillan stuff, plenty of new ones. A half dozen DAWs have implemented it.

I'd like to see it sooner than later!
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:37 am

Coockie1176ln wrote:
doubt it, i mean its a bit late to implement mpe, they would have to reconfigure the whole engine. That´s something they would have to do from start. Sure there is allways a small chance but not big enought to give anyone any hopes up
Where would you get an idea like that? that's kind of absurd. How would you explain so many synths that added it after the initial synth was released, like The legend, Strobe, Synthmaster, Falcon and plenty more.

Coockie1176ln
KVRian
1107 posts since 30 Jun, 2015

Post Sat May 05, 2018 1:39 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Coockie1176ln wrote:
Where would you get an idea like that? that's kind of absurd. How would you explain so many synths that added it after the initial synth was released, like The legend, Strobe, Synthmaster, Falcon and plenty more.
MY FAULT.. Sry i thought it wasnt easy to implement and that its something that needs programming from start. Just ignore what i said ;)

gummo
KVRist
66 posts since 6 Apr, 2007

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:09 pm

I tried ANA2 well recently.
Small fonts are hard for my eyes, but browsers and designs are wonderful.

Do you plan to add Unison function to the sampler?
It is an easy and very favorite trick for CPU saving. :)

Return to “Instruments”