Orb Composer - Generative music app

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Orb Composer Artist S Orb Composer Pro S

Doesn't seem like any composers are gonna be put out of work :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Doesn't seem like any composers are gonna be put out of work :tu:
I fully agree, this has lots of room for improvement and still a long way to go.
Or as I put it in the comments to one of the videos:
In my opinion this program won't replace Williams or Zimmer anytime soon.

HiEnergy wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Doesn't seem like any composers are gonna be put out of work :tu:
I fully agree, this has lots of room for improvement and still a long way to go.
As a proof of concept, it's mildly interesting. However, that's a lot for money for "mildly interesting". You think it has a long way to go, whereas I am not sure it's ever going there.

I might be wrong.

Thanks for putting it through it's paces. I imagine you might be saving quite a few people a lot of cash :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Thanks for putting it through it's paces.
My pleasure.

This short playthrough videos of an ambient music track done with Orb Composer shows the result getting better when more effort is put in and Orb Composer's musical decisions are doubted every now and then.
The track in the linked video took me about two hours to make. As screencasting the "making-of" of such a beast is too lengthy, I merely did the play-through.
Enjoy watching and listening...

Thanks so much HiEnergy, for this lo energy piece! :D Its a great demo, and there are a couple of nice melodic lines in there.
HiEnergy wrote:he result getting better when more effort is put in and Orb Composer's musical decisions are doubted
Brian Eno did a video for BBC Click, "Behind the Reflection" showing how he programs a generative sequence in Logic, listens to it in the background, then tweaks it bit by bit, over a long period of time.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Doesn't seem like any composers are gonna be put out of work :tu:
Composers are fine and don't need a replacement. This thing could help people such as me to compose things I wouldn't be able to create on my own.

Results are pretty decent. Keep in mind that it's played back by sampler - life performance or proper modulation would give much better results.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
HiEnergy wrote:
As a proof of concept, it's mildly interesting. However, that's a lot for money for "mildly interesting". You think it has a long way to go, whereas I am not sure it's ever going there.

I might be wrong.

Thanks for putting it through it's paces. I imagine you might be saving quite a few people a lot of cash :tu:
I watched these and the developer's videos with an open mind. At the outset I was hopeful. Now ... nah. Nothing personal, HiEnergy, but I've yet to hear a piece made with it which I would choose to listen to again.

I've nothing against compositional aides, and in fact have coaxed some decent stuff out of BIAB and EZ-Keys. But this just sounds dull and robotic to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Although it's still far from becoming a superhit, I've done a new playthrough screencast.
It's here: Orb Composer Flute Demo Playthrough

@HiEnergy, thank you for your videos. I understand that you're not at all affiliated with the company, but your videos are great and very informative, and I appreciate all your work making them.

And from watching those videos (and the official company videos), I just don't understand the pricing on this. I do feel like Orb Composer could be a useful inspirational tool. But $400 to $800 for the Artist or Pro versions? That seems way too expensive for most hobbyists, and the results aren't impressive enough that I'd think many pros would spend that much for the quality provided.

Maybe at $250/$400 for the two versions, with occasional heavy sales, I could see this going places. But I'm not going on anything but gut instinct. Perhaps they're already selling tons of copies at the current pricing, and I'm severely underpricing the market. In which case, good for them; they should do whatever maximizes their revenue.

SirkusPi:
But $400 to $800 for the Artist or Pro versions? That seems way too expensive for most hobbyists, and the results aren't impressive enough that I'd think many pros would spend that much for the quality provided
This is really a good question, I have thought about it a lot too :hihi:

The thing is: it is clearly MADE from (only/mainly ???) an orchestral composer view, if you try to use it (as I do) as a hobby composer for electronical music you stumble over this on evry corner. And there is a statement somewhere (dont remember exactly where I have read it) that it is meant to be "exclusive". Develloping time and prize clearly goes in that direction.

The advertising/presentation goes in a (for me) different direction "Five easy steps to your next hit". And if you look on the comments in another more serious professional composer forum it seems nobody of the profs would ever touch something like this (on the other hand: would anybody ever admit that he uses something like that :hihi: ).

I am really, really curious in which direction this will go. Are there the hundreds of professional composers to buy this stuff for the actual prize and intention of the devs ? Or may they re-think and sell it to the (potentially) thousands of hobby-musicians who would really benefit from such a tool.....

I am sure more chapters to come in this story :D

am I understanding this correctly .... people are pre-ordering this without demoing it first ?

The demo was not available until the pre-order phase ended. The pre-order was for receiving the full version for the price of the light version (which only does 4/4 meter and merely has major and minor triads for chords).
Daags wrote:am I understanding this correctly .... people are pre-ordering this without demoing it first ?

HiEnergy wrote:The demo was not available until the pre-order phase ended
Huh? If you take the risk of buying the light version without a demo, you are rewarded by receiving the full version. But if you want to try it first, you are punished by having to pay more. Why?
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

HiEnergy wrote:The demo was not available until the pre-order phase ended. The pre-order was for receiving the full version for the price of the light version (which only does 4/4 meter and merely has major and minor triads for chords).
Daags wrote:am I understanding this correctly .... people are pre-ordering this without demoing it first ?
I see. thanks for clarification.

Michael L wrote:
HiEnergy wrote:The demo was not available until the pre-order phase ended
Huh? If you take the risk of buying the light version without a demo, you are rewarded by receiving the full version. But if you want to try it first, you are punished by having to pay more. Why?
marketing 101 .... to get people to buy 'a pig in a bag' you need to make the deal seem sweet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”