TAL Mod

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Mod The Shining Stars Soundset

mholloway wrote:Guys, I changed the colors and now I can't restore the (actual) default...??? The "default" button on the Colors screen is NOT the actual default the program originally opened with (the light blue color one). Now, even after a re-installation, it always loads the last color I had selected....how do I just get back to the original one?? is there a prefs file somewhere I can trash?

please help out, it looks so fugly now... :(

thanks,
-M
There is an XML file which includes the color settings, to be found here, at least on my computer:
C:\Users\my username\AppData\Roaming\ToguAudioLine

mholloway wrote: Unrelated, is it just me, or does the "Saturation" knob on the filter do practically nothing? The readout says it's "filter drive" but it's changing the output very minimally for me....

-M
It merely kills the resonance. In a quite abrupt way. Not the most usefull parameter I agree.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:
mholloway wrote: Unrelated, is it just me, or does the "Saturation" knob on the filter do practically nothing? The readout says it's "filter drive" but it's changing the output very minimally for me....

-M
It merely kills the resonance. In a quite abrupt way. Not the most usefull parameter I agree.
That's what filter drive does ffs
It's part of the internal feedback of the filter structure , and thus lowers the resonance when input gain is high or drive is increased .
That's how an overdriven filter sounds.
Dowload cytomic 'the drop' and increase filter drive , exactly the same happens..and this plug is a top notch modelled filter .

It's a standard feature on any other GOOD analogue modeled filter and thus also in talmod .
IT's NOT a post filter drive.

Don't you guys make TAL change this , because you expect something else and /or lack knowledge on this matter .

Keep up the good work TAL :tu:
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

yikes, chill out @gentleclockdivider, nobody's asking for changes and there's no need for this angry know-it-all attitude.

I own plenty of other synths where the Filter drive / saturation knob has a really drastic effect on the sound of the synth (just try it on Sylenth, for example). So it's odd to encounter a saturation / drive knob (the text in the info screen refers to it as Drive, not saturation, fwiw) that has such a subtle effect.

and whether I or other users find it "not very useful" is an *Opinion* and should not start you shouting about "real analogue" and how we're threatening to change shit we don't understand (we're not).

sylenth filter is almost identical to zebra xmf filter in analogue mode ( that's the second mode , try it ) increase drive / self osc/
Download the drop , increase filter drive +resonance.
All latest reaktor 6 blocks that have input drive , same stuff .
It's called 'good modelling , that's all ..
I don't have an angry know -it -all attitude , just pointing some thing out , where people expect something that isn't there in the first place .
I assume the filter drive is a tanh curve in the filter feedback loop , and yes attenuates the resonant peaks when input is increased
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote:Would love to see a triplet option in the sequencer
And a Ratcheting setting per step. Or a Skip button for each step.
ImageImage

gentleclockdivider wrote:sylenth filter is almost identical to zebra xmf filter in analogue mode ( that's the second mode , try it ) increase drive / self osc/
I don't have an angry know -it -all attitude , just pointing some thing out , where people expect something that isn't there in the first place .
I assume the filter drive is a tanh curve in the filter feedback loop , and yes attenuates the resonant peaks when input is increased
Maybe...and still other synths with drive pre filter does it much better for me and or offer different kinds of saturation/drive pre and after the filter (also polyphonic).
For me this effect is just too subtle. Maybe the most subtle i ever heard in a synth yet.
Sorry, i´m simple....i just hear what i hear :D

Cinebient wrote:
gentleclockdivider wrote:sylenth filter is almost identical to zebra xmf filter in analogue mode ( that's the second mode , try it ) increase drive / self osc/
Maybe...and still other synths with drive pre filter does it much better for me and or offer different kinds of saturation/drive pre and after the filter (also polyphonic).
For me this effect is just too subtle. Maybe the most subtle i ever heard in a synth yet.
It's not a PRE or POST drive , It's internal .
It's part of the filter topology , A 24db filter are 4 '1pole' filters in serial /then inverted --->feedback , routed back to the first pole .
In the feedback loop there's a 'tanh' curve .
Talmod is probably a lot more complex since it's a zd filter and all ...

Take u-he tyrell synth , set reso to max , oscilattor mix to full and tweak cut-off , result is decreased resonance .
Same as TAL-mod .
Just accept it that this is actual ' FILTER DRIVE ' and that the oscillator volume also plays a big role
Eyeball exchanging

It Would be great if we had a sampled noise wavetable osc ('single cycle ) amongst the other waveforms .
This way we can do synced noise .
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote:It Would be great if we had a sampled noise wavetable osc ('single cycle ) amongst the other waveforms .
This way we can do synced noise .
With wavetables we aren't any more in a vintage analog world. This modular synth is clearly focused at trying to recall the old analog modular tastes... which were already excellent for many things. If we begin to ask for emulations of digital modules, then we can ask for everything... and the initial goal (a Vintage Analog taste) is lost.

Thus, wavetables are definitely not the kind of things that I would like to have in such vintage analog modular synths. On a much more modern modular synth such as Bidule or KarmaFX or MUX or Tassman or Zebra, yes... but on a VA modular such as TAL-Mod or Bazille or Modular V or SoloRack or XILS 4, no. Let's have synths which are made for different things and for different tastes and different genres of music rather that having everything in each single synth. Modular doesn't mean "Everything in a same synth for any music".

And... what do you mean by "synced noise"?
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
It's not a PRE or POST drive , It's internal .
It's part of the filter topology , A 24db filter are 4 '1pole' filters in serial /then inverted --->feedback , routed back to the first pole .
In the feedback loop there's a 'tanh' curve .
Talmod is probably a lot more complex since it's a zd filter and all ...

Take u-he tyrell synth , set reso to max , oscilattor mix to full and tweak cut-off , result is decreased resonance .
Same as TAL-mod .
Just accept it that this is actual ' FILTER DRIVE ' and that the oscillator volume also plays a big role
Well, of course i accept it but i just saying (like some others too) that it is very subtle.
And ZD filters are nothing special really these days. The filters are great indeed but also not my favorites so far :wink:
I mean i like Tal-Mod but still searching for a reason to buy it finally.....i really try hard but it just needs a bit more compared to what is already there.
So far microtuning is the best reason on this.
The price is really good and i bet it´s a great value. Maybe i just have too much synths which overlaps.
Have a nice day and i appreciate your info really.

Cinebient wrote:Well, of course i accept it but i just saying (like some others too) that it is very subtle.
And ZD filters are nothing special really these days. The filters are great indeed but also not my favorites so far :wink:
I mean i like Tal-Mod but still searching for a reason to buy it finally.....i really try hard but it just needs a bit more compared to what is already there.
The price is really good and i bet it´s a great value. Maybe i just have too much synths which overlaps.
Since Mod is not an emulation of any hardware, a more effective saturation might not hurt, even if it is less authentic. I think many people expect that nowadays.
With resonance it is the other way round. It seems very strong on Mod. Even very low amounts already lend that nasal character. I rarely use much resonance on my sounds, but it does sound good and pleasant in the case of Mod :)

Same here, while I like the sound as such a lot, I guess I am just not enough into crazy modulations to buy it after all, regardless of the price (both 40 and 60 dollars is little for that sound quality and flexibility, and the excellent track record of that developer in terms of updates and bug fixes). The basic synth sounds I like to make such as background or brass pads or synth basses I also get from Sylenth1, the difference in sound quality is minor, but the difference in CPU efficiency huge.
But if I were a synth enthusiast like so many here, I would surely buy it :)

When the OSCs or the Noise are not routed through the filter they going raw through the amp and one has to disable the generator instead. Is this intended or a bug? And the CPU consumption is higher compared to previous versions. :help:
Last edited by Autobot on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit in a hole

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Well, of course i accept it but i just saying (like some others too) that it is very subtle.
Since Mod is not an emulation of any hardware, a more effective saturation might not hurt, even if it is less authentic. I think many people expect that nowadays.
With resonance it is the other way round. It seems very strong on Mod. Even very low amounts already lend that nasal character. I rarely use much resonance on my sounds, but it does sound good and pleasant in the case of Mod :)

Same here, while I like the sound as such a lot, I guess I am just not enough into crazy modulations to buy it after all, regardless of the price (both 40 and 60 dollars is little for that sound quality and flexibility, and the excellent track record of that developer in terms of updates and bug fixes). The basic synth sounds I like to make such as background or brass pads or synth basses I also get from Sylenth1, the difference in sound quality is minor, but the difference in CPU efficiency huge.
But if I were a synth enthusiast like so many here, I would surely buy it :)
I´m all for crazy modulations as long as they mostly sounds good in any way.
A reason i love still P900 and Dune 2 so much (i just hate using Reaktor, otherwise it would be in my top too). Some crazy audio rate stuff is great to achieve "organic" like timbres and certain effects.
Saturation/distortion/feedback...whatever is very important for me.
The tube saturation per voice in P900 might be my favorite and so i´m biased here.
It´s also very subtle if you don´t use high levels and/or resonance but then it starts to really pronounce sounds in a very musical and still detailed way i didn´t heard anywhere yet.
Yes, i have no clue what´s going on exact in the background but i just like what i hear and it sounds just right for me.
The Model D app does also a great job, especially if you gain stage and use a good amount of resonance, otherwise it´s subtle too. It´s not like the feedback on a real Minimoog at all but i like it even much more since it´s useful in a musical context while some kinds of saturations just sound overdistorted (the feedback emulation even runs as an own kind of engine beside the synth engine).
Sometimes you have to go another route for software since it´s anyway not possible to do it in software or it would eat up every cpu.
The filter drive in Tal-Mod is always very subtle.
Maybe i´m searching for just another thing about saturation/drive here of course and i have to accept it this way or leave it. I just want to be impressed when i turn it up :)

yeah a post filter Drive would be a nice addition. Considering there's 2 filters + 1 EQ I wonder if the HigPass effect could be replaced with a Drive knob. Otherwise there may be space for it in the Master section.
Anyway till the envelopes remain so cramped can't use it :(

Return to “Instruments”