Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Stefken
KVRian
661 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:57 am

It is a strange choice, aspecially considering this is a very nice vst.
I for one think you won't be disappointed.
There ARE numerous reports of high cpu usage, so you better have a good cpu/computer.

There are some demo videos around with either the app or the vst.

https://www.google.com/search?q=korg+od ... ms&tbm=vid

User avatar
BlackWinny
KVRAF
3500 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:06 am

Stefken wrote:It is a strange choice, aspecially considering this is a very nice vst.
I for one think you won't be disappointed.
There ARE numerous reports of high cpu usage, so you better have a good cpu/computer.

There are some demo videos around with either the app or the vst.

https://www.google.com/search?q=korg+od ... ms&tbm=vid
I think that they don't want the users of their hardware Korg Odyssey resale it to purchase the software one after having simply demoed it. That way, the first tentation is to purchase the software edition without being able to demo it... then eventually keep also the hardware one.
:hihi:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7200 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:44 pm

That would be a poor strategy because if you can afford the hardware, you won't blink at buying the VST, so it would only delay selling the hardware, not prevent it.
Bump1 wrote:I have a Korg Odyssey hardware unit right here....is there a demo of the plugin?? If so, (and if it hasn't been offered yet) is anyone interested in some 1:1 comparisons on some patches???
I really couldn't care less. It certainly evokes the sound of the original, and then some, which is all that should matter to anyone. It's also polyphonic and has Unison, so it goes well beyond the hardware.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

Bump1
KVRist
242 posts since 3 Oct, 2009

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:36 pm

BONES wrote:That would be a poor strategy because if you can afford the hardware, you won't blink at buying the VST,

Unless, of course, you already have the hardware.....
Fixed it for you...

Next time maybe you should blink before hitting "submit"

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7200 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:17 am

Nice try but the hardware doesn't store sounds so the VSTi could come in handy as nothing more than a patch library for those with the hardware. I'd have been all over it if the hardware had a patch memory, even if it was just a handful. A dozen would get you through a live set and that's all I'd need. They managed it for Minilogue and Monologue, I don't see why they didn't do it for Odyssey. It's plain stupid. As it is, though, it is literally useless to us.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

Cinebient
KVRAF
3748 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:13 am

BlackWinny wrote:It is even probably one of the most impressive unison features that I ever heard in my already long life.
Indeed. Everytime i use the unison and begin to spread and detune it, it just sounds really massive and not so thinned out and phased like in most other synths with unison.
For me Arp Odyssey has the best unison sound.
Only maybe ES2 is even better.

Bump1
KVRist
242 posts since 3 Oct, 2009

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:25 am

BONES wrote:Nice try but the hardware doesn't store sounds so the VSTi could come in handy as nothing more than a patch library for those with the hardware. I'd have been all over it if the hardware had a patch memory, even if it was just a handful. A dozen would get you through a live set and that's all I'd need. They managed it for Minilogue and Monologue, I don't see why they didn't do it for Odyssey. It's plain stupid. As it is, though, it is literally useless to us.
Because A/D/A conversion would have drove the price up significantly. And they probably wanted to also maintain a pure analog experience.

Patch recall is trivial if you're a good programmer....I certainly do not care. *I* don't see the value in buying the plugin just to recall patches.

Stefken
KVRian
661 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Bump1 wrote:And they probably wanted to also maintain a pure analog experience.
.
They wanted to stay true to the original (schematics) which didn't include digital control.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7200 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:37 pm

But they didn't do that anyway, because they added all three filters, as well as pure digital features like MIDI and USB, not present on the original. And once you put MIDI in there, you may as well put in a patch memory at the same time.
Bump1 wrote:Because A/D/A conversion would have drove the price up significantly.
You're an idiot. Why would you need to do any AD/DA conversion just to have a patch memory? And why would Odyssey be three times the price of a Monologue, which is made by the same company and has a patch memory? All you need to do is digitally store/retrieve values read from the analogue circuitry.
And they probably wanted to also maintain a pure analog experience.
There are plenty of vintage analogue synths with patch memory, like the Prophet V and OB-X. And if that was teh case, why put in MIDI and USB? What matters is the signal path, everything else, even things like LFOs, can be digital and it won't ruin the "analogue experience" at all.
Patch recall is trivial if you're a good programmer...
Pig's arse! Try going from a nice resonant bassline to a screaming lead on stage with lights and smoke machines and an audience waiting for you to be ready so you can start the next song. Yes, the Odyssey's layout was specifically designed around making it easy to change the sound on the fly but it's still a big effort to actually do it on stage. I know, I had to do it for two years before I could afford a full MIDI set-up. Even something as basic as an SH-101 can be a challenge when you're in a hurry.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, MicroMonsta, Uno

User avatar
braj
KVRAF
9090 posts since 5 Feb, 2004

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17 pm

I think Korg made the Odyssey more as a geek toy than a performance synth. It would be really wonderful if they made a version that was 1:1 the plugin, with patch memory, the sequencer, effects, and full midi implementation. It is not 1974 and the new ones are not 1:1 the vintage synths anyway.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

User avatar
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
4716 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:07 pm

BONES wrote:
Bump1 wrote:Because A/D/A conversion would have drove the price up significantly.
You're an idiot. Why would you need to do any AD/DA conversion just to have a patch memory?
Yay, more name calling from BONES.

How do you propose

A. making digital signals change analog settings, and

B. storing analog settings as digital data,

without AD/DA conversion?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Stefken
KVRian
661 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:42 pm

A few answers from Korg

https://youtu.be/nKFLNOzBhHo

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
17159 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:06 pm

BONES wrote:
Bump1 wrote:Because A/D/A conversion would have drove the price up significantly.
You're an idiot. Why would you need to do any AD/DA conversion just to have a patch memory?
Before you start slandering somebody, perhaps educate yourself on how patch memory is actually done on a synthesizer. :idea:

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
8040 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:27 am

Guys, this is about the Korg Legacy Collection, NOT the Korg (ARP) Odyssey. :borg:

Please stop before entering an endless discussion about the virtues and faults of the modern Korg Odyssey, which would be pointless to this thread. It's much better to keep discussing what Korg should do to improve and expand the KORG LEGACY COLLECTION (you know... THE PLUG-INS)
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
4716 posts since 7 Jan, 2005 from Corporate States of America

Re: Korg updates its Legacy Collection with a new Arp Odyssey emulation

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:33 am

fmr wrote:Guys, this is about the Korg Legacy Collection, NOT the Korg (ARP) Odyssey. :borg:

Please stop before entering an endless discussion about the virtues and faults of the modern Korg Odyssey, which would be pointless to this thread. It's much better to keep discussing what Korg should do to improve and expand the KORG LEGACY COLLECTION (you know... THE PLUG-INS)
Has anyone mentioned that the GUIs need to be redrawn at a larger scale? ;-) :-) :-D
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Instruments”