New power supply receptor pro jr. 1 c "can I use this?"

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
I have order a new power supply for my receptor pro jr.
(HEC PSU FLEX-ATX 160Watt 100-240V active PFC max.)
but now I am in doubt.

The old supply said:
Output 121 W max. On +5V and +3,3V combined power: 80 W max.
(Elan Vital model no. evn 1216 e)

The new one said:
Output 160W max. On +5V and +3,3V combined power: 61 W max.
(HEC PSU FLEX-ATX 160Watt 100-240V active PFC max.)

Can I use the new one or should I cancel the order??

Best regards and thank you for your help.

Jesper

Receptor Power Management
Receptor has an auto-ranging, auto-power-factor correcting power supply. As such the unit is designed to operate from 85VAC to 250VAC, 50 / 60 Hz. All you need is the correct mains power cable to use the Receptor anywhere in the world. Depending on the age of the unit, it either uses a 125W ElanVital power supply, or a 200W 80+ Energy Star SparklePower power supply. Both power supplies are “switching” type, which means they directly modulate the incoming line voltage, rectify, filter and regulate the power that is used by the Receptor. Receptors are very efficient, and the Athlon based units (Rev A and Rev B) require a maximum of 90W, while the more efficient Rev C and Rev D units require a mere 65W in normal operation.

Here it say's that Rev C and Rev D units require a mere 65W in normal operation. But which Watt ? the output max. or the combined watt???

jottesen wrote: while the more efficient Rev C and Rev D units require a mere 65W in normal operation.
Because they have lower ghz cpus. Of course you will need more power for the 2.4 ghz ML-44 Turion in the Pro Jr., but not much. I actually put one of those in my Rev C and it runs fine with the anemic power supply that was in there.

The way I understand it is that each "pipe" (or colored wire) has it's own limitation, and the combined limitation of the 5v and 3.3v pipes is 61 watts, but the psu can handle 160 watts total. Most of that wattage is for the 12v pipe for the cpu and gpu, and the rest is for ram, motherboard, fans, etc. The Receptor does have one internal fan, and the front panel takes power, but there is no CD/DVD or pci cards (other than the audio), and an ssd takes less power than a spinning HD. It could work.

This post explains it pretty good.

I don't think you would damage anything if that's what you are thinking. However, if you're like me, you might worry about it forever, so you should cancel and get a supply that is rated at least what the psu that was in there was rated.
Last edited by johnrule on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi John

Thank you for your reply, I get another one.

Jesper

You can purchase an off-the-shelf Sparkle Power SPI220LE and modify the connectors on them to work with Receptor. Basically, you need to clip off the old four conductor connector that goes to the front panel and connect that to the power supply. Basically, the power connectors are as follows:

ATX power to Mobo (20 pins, multiple conductors)
12V ATX power to Mobo (yellow and black)
IDE power to drive (or) Sata power to drive
5VDC to FRONT PANEL using the 4 pin connector from the old power supply (connect to one of the drive power lines since the PS has many of them)
Power switch connector from front panel to motherboard (Black and white, two pins, standard ATX power switch connection to the FPNL connector on the mobo)

Anything you do is at your own risk. If you aren't sure, get a computer tech to help you.

jottesen wrote:Hi John

Thank you for your reply, I get another one.

Jesper
That was the best thing to do Jesper.

I bet the audio card takes a big chunk of that power on those 3v 5v pipes when every single adat channel (i.e. lightpipe) is used, so you may or may not have maxed the psu. It probably would have worked, but when you really wanted to push the routing, your Receptor would have just shut off.

I really like the routing of the Receptor, and I have two M-Audio Profire Lightbridge interfaces because of that :)

Somebody should really make just a simple lightpipe interface for the pc. As far as I know, the ProFire is one of only a few interfaces that focuses on lightpipes (it has 8 ADAT I/O!) while most interfaces have gobs of audio I/O. I don't have 10 keyboards or a dozen mics in my studio, do you? But, I do have a dozen instruments going on each pc (that's at least 2 lightpipes per instrument) so a 24 channel ADAT interface for $200 would be perfect.

Thanks again John and Bryan.

The Rev Cs were amazing in how little power they actually consumed. The ML and MT series of processors were remarkably low power… about 25 to 35W, so the total power consumption of the unit with drive was about 50W. The audio subsection takes almost no power… As a result, the Rev Cs run incredibly cool, and withstand very high operating temperatures, and last a very very very very long time. Power supplies and drives are the only thing that fail through time in my experience with these units.

The Sparkle power supplies are form / function compatible, but they do require drilling the rear panel and a small bracket in front of the power supply (where the cables come out) to properly secure it:

https://www.amazon.com/Sparkle-Power-SP ... entries*=0

This is a small and easy project for someone handy, but could be disastrous for someone with no tech experience. Whatever you do make sure that no metal shavings from drilling the back make it in to the case or you'll be sorry.

Thanks for helping me!!! My old receptor pro jr. are working again!!!!

Jesper

jottesen wrote:Thanks for helping me!!! My old receptor pro jr. are working again!!!!

Jesper
Hey Jesper, did you buy the off-the-shelf PSU and modify it, per Bryan's notes above? If so, what was the experience like? Did you take any photos of the modifications?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Muse Research and Development”