How to make a noise: Free Book

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was wondering on 2017 Soulwax Essential Mix there is an amazing sound 3-7 minutes at the start of the mix that I reckon is a osc1 Square oscillates and Noise osc 2 :tu: :) sound I would like to recreate that sound but 2 octaves higher and in the Key of A how do you tune noise when PW is 100% value and FM is 0 I can't get the sound to tune higher I have the right LFO speed Frequencies but Amount is very important

I use Wasp please help. :) :pray:

HardTranceRevolution wrote:I was wondering on 2017 Soulwax Essential Mix there is an amazing sound 3-7 minutes at the start of the mix that I reckon is a osc1 Square oscillates and Noise osc 2 :tu: :) sound I would like to recreate that sound but 2 octaves higher and in the Key of A how do you tune noise when PW is 100% value and FM is 0 I can't get the sound to tune higher I have the right LFO speed Frequencies but Amount is very important

How? Honestly...don't have a clue.

I always have difficulty with these questions. You want the sound to be the same, but different (the same sound, but pitched up two octaves and in the key of A). You're also going to want to recreate a sound to use in a different context.

It's not the answer you want to hear, but the better approach to your problem is to create a sound that works perfectly within the context of the mix of your own track. Spend your energy creating THAT sound rather than spending time copying something else.

Simon_Cann wrote:
HardTranceRevolution wrote:I was wondering on 2017 Soulwax Essential Mix there is an amazing sound 3-7 minutes at the start of the mix that I reckon is a osc1 Square oscillates and Noise osc 2 :tu: :) sound I would like to recreate that sound but 2 octaves higher and in the Key of A how do you tune noise when PW is 100% value and FM is 0 I can't get the sound to tune higher I have the right LFO speed Frequencies but Amount is very important

How? Honestly...don't have a clue.

I always have difficulty with these questions. You want the sound to be the same, but different (the same sound, but pitched up two octaves and in the key of A). You're also going to want to recreate a sound to use in a different context.

It's not the answer you want to hear, but the better approach to your problem is to create a sound that works perfectly within the context of the mix of your own track. Spend your energy creating THAT sound rather than spending time copying something else.
Hey Simon, you are a good teacher! Have you considered writing a new book that takes the basic principles of synthesis, and spins them around the current environment for sound design? The modern tools available have exploded in capability since your earlier efforts, but there are probably many users just starting out now that didn't have the opportunity to start with the basic elements. A lot has changed in the market in the past 14 years. Maybe the time is right for a fresh look?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:Hey Simon, you are a good teacher!
Thank you!
zzz00m wrote:Have you considered writing a new book that takes the basic principles of synthesis, and spins them around the current environment for sound design? The modern tools available have exploded in capability since your earlier efforts, but there are probably many users just starting out now that didn't have the opportunity to start with the basic elements. A lot has changed in the market in the past 14 years. Maybe the time is right for a fresh look?
Head over to Noise Sculpture https://noisesculpture.com. I've written quite a few books since 2004--quite a lot of them are sound related and with newer/different takes or with a more specific focus on certain areas.

The SSL certificate on noisesculpture.com has expired -- I can't access the site.

FigBug wrote:The SSL certificate on noisesculpture.com has expired -- I can't access the site.
It expired on May 31st. Your browser is set to block unsecure sites by default, but you can use the advanced option to bypass the warning in Firefox or Chrome. The site is still there.

zzz00m wrote:
FigBug wrote:The SSL certificate on noisesculpture.com has expired -- I can't access the site.
It expired on May 31st. Your browser is set to block unsecure sites by default, but you can use the advanced option to bypass the warning in Firefox or Chrome. The site is still there.
Sorry 'bout that. Should be all fixed now.

All the best

Simon

Simon_Cann wrote:
zzz00m wrote:
Sorry 'bout that. Should be all fixed now.

All the best

Simon
:tu:

zzz00m wrote: :tu:
Enjoy your reading!

Thanks so much for this!

Just wanted to say that I took fresh look today at this book while playing with SynthMaster One. The only synth covered by the book that I actually have is z3ta+, which is a classic.

But I wanted to see if the tutorials could be accomplished with a modern synth.

So I just finished the chapter one tutorial using SynthMaster One to create my sounds with. Even played the MIDI file and added a few insert effects to my tracks in the DAW. :party:

It worked out well, except the only thing to be aware of is that with some of the time parameters used for the envelopes you need to move the decimal point for the units given in the book, for example to convert milliseconds to seconds in some cases. Just pay attention to the units being used by the synth UI, but you can get into the ball park. And use your ears, if the sound you are getting is distorting, just adjust to your liking. :D

a Comprehensive Guide to Synthesizer Programming is perhaps the most widely ready book about synthesizer sound programming. It is a comprehensive, practical guide to sound design and synthesizer programming techniques using:

subtractive (analog) synthesis
frequency modulation synthesis (including phase modulation and ring modulation)
additive synthesis
wave-sequencing
sample-based synthesis

Thank you so much!
:phones:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this in this thread....

One of the (soft)synths used by Simon Cann in his book(s) and (patch) examples has recently gone FREE and open source

Vember Audio - Surge
viewtopic.php?t=512006
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/surge-by-vember-audio

Kwurqx wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:59 am Not sure if anyone mentioned this in this thread....

One of the (soft)synths used by Simon Cann in his book(s) and (patch) examples has recently gone FREE and open source

Vember Audio - Surge
viewtopic.php?t=512006
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/surge-by-vember-audio

Nice one! Thanks for the heads-up! :tu:

Return to “Sound Design”