Ableton Live 10.0.2: AU users, please update to 10.0.3

Official support for: u-he.com
User avatar
Urs
u-he
24304 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:45 am

Hi all,

We have received a few reports of our AUs (possibly also AUs from other manufacturers) running sluggish in Ableton Live 10.0.2 - our initial tests suggest that VST versions run fine.

We can not say yet whether it's our recent update or theirs, but we're in contact with Ableton to see what's going on.

For the time being we suggest to use VST instead of AU.

We'll keep you posted,

- U

UPDATE: June 17 - Looks like 10.0.3 is available (beta? final? What happened to their website?) and seems to fix the issue.

dermage
KVRian
573 posts since 23 May, 2016

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:13 am

they have stated somewhere in their open beta forums that 10.0.2 has known issues with AU and they pushed the release out. 10.0.3 will fix these issues.
not sure if these are the exact same problems people experience though.

edit:
mal wrote this:
I am sad to say we will release 10.0.2 with 3 known issues. We will release the 10.0.2 since we have seen numerous drag and drop issues fixed which we have received more complaints about than the following 3 bugs:
- Changing presets in some but not all AU plugins will crash live
- At times it will not be possible to drag audio to M4L devices
- Changing presets with Push 2 connected can results in smaller stalls, but not the to extent Live will freeze.

- you do not need to report these issues, we have all the data we need on these topics

We are working on all 3 issues for the next 10.0.3 beta, and we pland to have the first beta released 1-2 weeks after the release of 10.0.2

User avatar
Urs
u-he
24304 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 am

Thank you.

Pushing a release with a regression like that leaves me a bit speechless.

dermage
KVRian
573 posts since 23 May, 2016

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:33 am

Urs wrote:Thank you.

Pushing a release with a regression like that leaves me a bit speechless.
it's not the only regression. Live freezes the GUI on Windows after opening some plugins when your refresh rate is > 60hz.
Workarounds possible: Minimize Live after freezing or set refresh rate to 60hz.
One time it even crashed when i inserted ACE, i'm almost sure this was related (but not reproducible)

They are working since 3 months on that patch and I reported the bug 2 months ago.
As I am a software developer myself i can only say :dog:

User avatar
Yorrrrrr
KVRian
839 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from Cartagena - Colombia

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:17 am

Yes, it would've been better to go straight to 10.0.3 or release a 10.0.2 with everything fixed, no matter if it takes a month (or whatever) longer.

BTW, here u-he VST plugins are running great in 10.0.2

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
31160 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:18 am

dermage wrote:they have stated somewhere in their open beta forums that 10.0.2 has known issues with AU and they pushed the release out. 10.0.3 will fix these issues.
not sure if these are the exact same problems people experience though.

edit:
mal wrote this:
I am sad to say we will release 10.0.2 with 3 known issues. We will release the 10.0.2 since we have seen numerous drag and drop issues fixed which we have received more complaints about than the following 3 bugs:
- Changing presets in some but not all AU plugins will crash live
- At times it will not be possible to drag audio to M4L devices
- Changing presets with Push 2 connected can results in smaller stalls, but not the to extent Live will freeze.

- you do not need to report these issues, we have all the data we need on these topics

We are working on all 3 issues for the next 10.0.3 beta, and we pland to have the first beta released 1-2 weeks after the release of 10.0.2
Looks like they released it with 4 known issues as aupreset support is still broken too even though they claim it is fixed in the release notes

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php ... 8f65620f72

perpetual3
KVRian
1189 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:44 am

Urs wrote:Thank you.

Pushing a release with a regression like that leaves me a bit speechless.
Especially considering how much money they charged for the upgrade.

perpetual3
KVRian
1189 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:45 am

Urs wrote:Thank you.

Pushing a release with a regression like that leaves me a bit speechless.
Looking forward to the U-He DAW before I die. :D

User avatar
teilo
KVRist
427 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:25 am

So it's not just me. Quite a test suite you have there, Ableton. Oh, you knew? And you did it anyway? My job would be on the line if my dev team pulled a stunt like this. This amounts to: "Yeah, we knew this latest release would break about half of our customer's workflow, but we decided to push it out anyway."

I mean, have you ever heard of blocking bugs?
macOS | Bitwig 3.x | Logic Pro X | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | Melda all | TAL synths | Komplete 12 Ult. Coll. | Arturia V 7 | Fabfilter Pro all | Rapid | countless others

Winstontaneous
KVRAF
1729 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:26 am

teilo wrote:So it's not just me. Quite a test suite you have there, Ableton. Oh, you knew? And you did it anyway? My job would be on the line if my dev team pulled a stunt like this. This amounts to: "Yeah, we knew this latest release would break about half of our customer's workflow, but we decided to push it out anyway."

I mean, have you ever heard of blocking bugs?
Hey, it's (fr)Agile Development! :dog:
OLOKUN - Survival Kit - now on iTunes, CDBaby, and Spotify

Videos: The Beat | Crossing to Safety

evertonfan
KVRist
40 posts since 29 Oct, 2008 from England

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:53 am

Oh I am deeply, deeply, deeply unhappy about this.....Live 10.0.1 was great! No issues, worked like a dream! I upgraded to 10.0.2 on Friday & have had my weekend (& an important song I was working on) ruined! Live 10.0.2 has constantly crashed, a lot of my AU plugins have not worked correctly (I had two Zebra2 channels, playing the same preset sounding different). Bounced audio files from my AU plugs then not working properly....And of course Live 10 now auto updates! So I have been down grading to 10.0.1 & Live has been merrily updating itself!

I am not a developer, I am just a user & having worked with Ableton for years safe in the knowledge that the platform has been very stable.....& then for this to happen. Really? Releasing a version with a known bug that is going to cause its users problems.....sorry have I missed something here? And I am more upset about the fact that I am a huge fan of Ableton Live.....but seriously, what the.......

tasmaniandevil
KVRian
818 posts since 22 Mar, 2005 from Germany

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:02 am

evertonfan wrote:And of course Live 10 now auto updates! So I have been down grading to 10.0.1 & Live has been merrily updating itself!
In Live's preferences, at the bottom, there is a 'Licenses and Maintenance' tab.
You can disable automatic updates there, so you can continue to use 10.0.1 until they fix the problems and release a stable update.

evertonfan
KVRist
40 posts since 29 Oct, 2008 from England

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:13 am

That's great, thanks for letting me know.....unfortunately I learned the hard way, after Live had updated itself at least twice before I then figured out how to disable the auto update feature.

User avatar
teilo
KVRist
427 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm

evertonfan wrote:I am not a developer, I am just a user & having worked with Ableton for years safe in the knowledge that the platform has been very stable.....& then for this to happen. Really? Releasing a version with a known bug that is going to cause its users problems.....sorry have I missed something here? And I am more upset about the fact that I am a huge fan of Ableton Live.....but seriously, what the.......
What it means is that they consider Mac users second-class citizens. They released 10.0.2 early to address the drag-and-drop bugs. Those were annoying, but they didn't make Ableton crash. And it's not like the crash is a rarity on Mac. You can't change a f*ing preset!

At least we know where we stand.
macOS | Bitwig 3.x | Logic Pro X | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | Melda all | TAL synths | Komplete 12 Ult. Coll. | Arturia V 7 | Fabfilter Pro all | Rapid | countless others

User avatar
teilo
KVRist
427 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Re: Ableton Live 10.0.2: Please use VST, not AU!

Post Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:47 am

FYI - the 10.0.3 beta has fixed this issue.
macOS | Bitwig 3.x | Logic Pro X | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | Melda all | TAL synths | Komplete 12 Ult. Coll. | Arturia V 7 | Fabfilter Pro all | Rapid | countless others

Return to “u-he”