Urs & Co. (Please release a full blown wavetable synth already)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, Massive X is going to be released soon, so yeah...
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Nielzie wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I think there are already enough very good wavetable synths and this would be exact the last thing i need in a synth now.
But i would like to draw everything from hand....envelopes, waveforms, filters, FX and whatever.
I disagree on both points. 1. We can't have enough wavetable synths. They provide a very easy way to get - movement in your sound (at least when they properly interpolate); get a lot of versatility due to the amount of included waveforms; and most wavetable synths also provide extra functionality, like, modulating the spectrum, or waveshaping, pitch sifting, or applying FM (OK, that's not limited to wavetable synths alone, still, most provide that). 2. If then, i'd wish that there would be wavetable synths which allow waveshaping as well, and allow you to save the resulting waveforms as "snapshots", and create wavetables from those (why didn't anyone do that yet? Seems like an obvious thing.).

And, regarding the drawing of waveforms by hand, i never found that very target-aimed. Let's pretend you draw yourself a nice looking waveshape... and then you press a note, and find out that it sounds like utter crap, and something you would never have looked for in the first place. IMO, waveshaping is much superior to waveform drawing. It isn't as tedious, you can experiment with the waveshapers, and, you can quickly get a sound you like, or the one you were looking for, while drawing, you probably only produce something "accidentally". At least, that's not the way i want to make music. And, with waveshaping, you can even modulate the waveshapers (at least that'd be the way i'd implement it), so, even without a wavetable, you already get a lot of movement in your sound.
Cinebient wrote: I own Curve 2 but mmhhh, the sound isn´t meaty enough :D
I used to have Curve 2 CM installed, but, never really got warm with it... sounds too digitally cold IMO.
Well that's kinda inherent with drawable waveforms I think. It's a digital technology. You can't draw certain analog sounding characteristics.
You actually can draw most analog characteristics. Having built plenty of anolog stuff from scratch the waves aren't too special, just not necessarily what you'd think.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Wavetables... why do you need them if you can have a waveshaping synth which does the same thing but in a more versatile way? But if its a waveshaping synth, it must have many LFOs.

Nielzie wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I think there are already enough very good wavetable synths and this would be exact the last thing i need in a synth now.
But i would like to draw everything from hand....envelopes, waveforms, filters, FX and whatever.
I disagree on both points. 1. We can't have enough wavetable synths. They provide a very easy way to get - movement in your sound (at least when they properly interpolate); get a lot of versatility due to the amount of included waveforms; and most wavetable synths also provide extra functionality, like, modulating the spectrum, or waveshaping, pitch sifting, or applying FM (OK, that's not limited to wavetable synths alone, still, most provide that). 2. If then, i'd wish that there would be wavetable synths which allow waveshaping as well, and allow you to save the resulting waveforms as "snapshots", and create wavetables from those (why didn't anyone do that yet? Seems like an obvious thing.).

And, regarding the drawing of waveforms by hand, i never found that very target-aimed. Let's pretend you draw yourself a nice looking waveshape... and then you press a note, and find out that it sounds like utter crap, and something you would never have looked for in the first place. IMO, waveshaping is much superior to waveform drawing. It isn't as tedious, you can experiment with the waveshapers, and, you can quickly get a sound you like, or the one you were looking for, while drawing, you probably only produce something "accidentally". At least, that's not the way i want to make music. And, with waveshaping, you can even modulate the waveshapers (at least that'd be the way i'd implement it), so, even without a wavetable, you already get a lot of movement in your sound.
Cinebient wrote: I own Curve 2 but mmhhh, the sound isn´t meaty enough :D
I used to have Curve 2 CM installed, but, never really got warm with it... sounds too digitally cold IMO.
Well that's kinda inherent with drawable waveforms I think. It's a digital technology. You can't draw certain analog sounding characteristics.
You actually can draw most analog characteristics. Having built plenty of anolog stuff from scratch the waves aren't too special, just not necessarily what you'd think.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Igro wrote:Wavetables... why do you need them if you can have a waveshaping synth which does the same thing but in a more versatile way? But if its a waveshaping synth, it must have many LFOs.
Can the waveshaping synth import audio samples and resynthesize them?

Sign up for the u-he newsletter if you want to know about any special offers, which come around rarely. If you don't then I can say I told you so when you miss out, and I would love to say I told you so. :cry: :hihi:

https://u-he.com/newsletter/
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

bmrzycki wrote:Zebra and http://synthtech.com/waveedit/ are all I need to explore wavetable synthesis. The tool imports serum wavs and exports zebra osc presets. The editor is open source and has a ton of options to make all sorts of fun transitions.
Can you export wacetables for Zebralette aswell? I dont own Zebra.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:Zebra and http://synthtech.com/waveedit/ are all I need to explore wavetable synthesis. The tool imports serum wavs and exports zebra osc presets. The editor is open source and has a ton of options to make all sorts of fun transitions.
Zebralette can load OSC *and* MSEG presets since it has one full Z2 oscillator and one full Z2 MSEG. It's powerful stuff.
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
Zebralette can load OSC *and* MSEG presets since it has one full Z2 oscillator and one full Z2 MSEG. It's powerful stuff.
Yes but can it load wavetables you made in Waveedit or similar app?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
You can:

1. Create wavetables in Wave Edit
2. Export them as .wav files
3. Open the .wav files you just saved in Wav2Zebra (found here - https://sites.google.com/site/wav2zebra2/ )
4. Export them as Zebra Osc presets
5. Load them in Zebra/Zebralette

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
You can:

1. Create wavetables in Wave Edit
2. Export them as .wav files
3. Open the .wav files you just saved in Wav2Zebra (found here - https://sites.google.com/site/wav2zebra2/ )
4. Export them as Zebra Osc presets
5. Load them in Zebra/Zebralette
Cool thanks :)

What I would like to see is not so much a wavetable synth as an wavetable-like additive synth with a lot more work done with harmonic deconstruction (via FFT), algorithmic warping and interpolation, and harmonic filtering (with the harmonic filter also having 2D movement). Thorn comes close to this, but it just scratches the surface of what's possible.

Zebra2 interpolates between the 16 waveforms so smoothly in the Spectro modes that 256 is overkill storage-wise. I think people just want to drop their serum tables into Zebra and use the OSC FX on them, which is valid

Return to “Instruments”