[SOLVED] MDrummer - does not sync to host

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Just got MDrummer. I'm aware there are a lot of possibilities and a lot of documentation and learning to do and I'm looking forward as I think it'll be quite rewarding.

One question in the meanwhile. In Bitwig, I load a drumset, I load a rhythm and I press play. The beat plays. Bitwig is at 85 BPM. MDrummer shows a tempo of 120. What is the way to quickly sync MDrummer to the DAW host at this point ?

UPDATE: Going through the documentation it appears that MDrummer automatically syncs to the DAW host.

Well, it does not.

All other Melda plugins can sync to the Bitwig host but not MDrummer. I would have expected that such a basic thing would work. I also tried in Harrison Mixbus32C and it does not sync either there.

Why is there a difference in syncing between the regular plugins and MDrummer ?

There are no buttons to enable syncing to the host.

What to do ?

And here's the screenshot:
MDrummerSync.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mevla on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

OK, got it. The Play button on MDrummer must also be pressed when Bitwig is playing for MDrummer to sync to Bitwig.

Not so much of a bad thing, it's OK. One would have expected to see the sync happening automatically, like really automatically and see the MDrummer tempo indicator reflect the right BPM as soon as it's loaded, but pressing play once is no big deal.

What a thread - went from 'problem' to 'solved' in your sleep !

Cheers.

Not quite.
MD will sync to DAW as soon as it receives a MIDI command; regardless of MD's previously set internal tempo.
Sure, with no active MIDI commands, if you want to quickly set MD's internal tempo to DAW tempo then as you say, hit PLAY in DAW then PLAY in MD.
But PLAY in MD essentially has nothing to do with the way MD syncs and is triggered in a DAW...think of PLAY in MD as just auditioning the drums (at whatever tempo).

goldglob wrote:Not quite. MD will sync to DAW as soon as it receives a MIDI command; regardless of MD's previously set internal tempo.
I still have to configure MIDI I guess. I play notes, Bitwig shows that they are received for the device, but MD does nothing. The displayed keyboard does not show any note pressed. The track in which MD sits is the default 'all ins' which means all MIDI channels.

What is meant by 'MIDI command' at the basic level ? Is it a MIDI note from a keyboard that thereafter MD will interpret as a command to play a break, etc... ? Or is it another type of MIDI event ?

Cheers.

Yes, a MIDI command is a MIDI note that will tell MD to play a beat or a break etc and at what level. Level doesn't mean just volume. See the 12 keys marked BEAT...that's 12 levels...12 boxes to put loops in. The usual thing is that as you increase the level (go up the keyboard) the loops get more complicated. Load a factory rhythm, click on the different boxes and look at the patterns. These MIDI notes can come from your keyboard, but the usual way is to write the notes (commands) into your DAW. Writing just one short note will activate a beat at a certain level which MD will keep playing until it encounters another note.
There's a notename file in your installation ("mdrummer_Reaper_notenames.txt") that REAPER can just load so that your MIDI editor has the keys named according to beats/breaks etc. I don't know how Bitwig handles this sort of thing. Can you create your own note names? The Reaper notenames file is just a txt file; you could use that info.
Happy to help but seems like you need to have a good look at the manual/ videos. And I'm not saying RTFM! because I don't think there is any one place where you can get absolutely clear and quick step by step info about all this because MD is so deep and multifaceted.
BTW, be aware that for MD to play something from MIDI commands you do have to load some drums as well as load a rhythm.
Last edited by goldglob on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks. Yes, as I've stated at the beginning, there's a good deal of learning to be done. The question is, is it worth it ? I believe that with MD, considering the brief overview of the capabilities along with the previous experience with the design of the Melda plugins and their level of sophistication when it comes to both quality and creative possibilities, it is full worth it. I like manuals when they are well written and presented, and this is the case with the Melda documentation. If something very minor could be said, is that a plugin's general introduction text as found on the web site, could be added at the beginning of a manual to summarize the capabilities of the product before delving in.

The triggering of patterns and other behaviour via MIDI is one of those neat features. BItwig can import MIDI data and MIDI notes can easily be written and manipulated. There's no problem there. Not sure about the concept of the 'note names' though.

This said, having a few 'quick' questions is all right... Which makes me think, I have made an improv with MD running some simple shakers chosen out of the blue. I reckon there are many save/packaging options. What would be the best way to quickly save that simple thing as I learn more and do more improvs at the same time ?

Cheers, and thanks again, much appreciated.

By the way, MDrummer as well as all other Melda plugins are running in Linux using the wine-staging Windows emulation layer and the linVST VST bridge.

Here's what loading the note names file does in Reaper's MIDI editor:
Note names.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mevia,
yes there are many levels of saving from top level preset (saves everything), through just saving the rhythm or the drumset, down to saving small things like just one small loop etc etc. Before I suggest how to quickly save what you have done can you tell me a bit more about "I have made an improv with MD running some simple shakers". Are you driving MD with MIDI commands or are you simply in Drum Pad mode?

Neither, I simply pressed play, after loading a drum set and a rhythm. I wouldn't mind saving from top level at this time though.

I also added some reverb and autopan. The teaser video mentions that MD FX are available from Melda Production although I loaded some FXs that I haven't bought and MD did not show any 'demo expired, noise will be produced' or any other indication that the FX will not work. Does MD comes with its own set of FX ?

Cheers.

OK, probably best to save a preset (top level)..scoops up everything (including FX settings). I believe all the FX you see do indeed come with MD (and pretty much cover all Melda's FX)...but I'm not absolutely sure about that because I have the Total Bundle as well. From what you say though looks like they do.
Now that you have a rhythm and drumset loaded, next step would be to tackle MIDI commands I guess.
TIP:
When you create a MIDI item (don't know what BW calls it) into which you intend to write commands make sure the item is snapped to grid.
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=138&t=503238&start=15

BTW, worth searching this Melda forum with seach term 'MDrummer'. You'll get all the MD stuff without having to pick through all the other Melda stuff.

Thanks ! Much appreciated. Haven't done much on MD today, looking forward.

Cheers.

I plan on making a basic intro video on MDrummer soon and after that more videos on how to use it , etc. If there is anything you’d like explained let me know and I’ll try to put it into a video.

Chandlerhimself wrote:I plan on making a basic intro video on MDrummer soon and after that more videos on how to use it , etc. If there is anything you’d like explained let me know and I’ll try to put it into a video.
Hi,

Well, there's the MIDI interface ... How to get commands working in Bitwig. Maybe in can be better explained. I watched the current video two times and did not get the use of two tracks. See my other post.

Cheers.

I agree with the O P

Sorry posted in the wrong thread

Return to “MeldaProduction”