Klanghelm DC8C3 and DC1A3 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DC1A DC8C

Richard deHove wrote:I already have MJUC. Can anyone give me a quick lesson of which other territory this covers?
if MJUC is a 'character' compressor with a more vintage vibe, DC8C is more modern and flexible... can easily be a 'go-to' comp

fluffy_little_something wrote:What is the CPU load like? The previous version was quite demanding with oversampling on...
I have a feeling that this new version is a bit lighter on the CPU..

As a comparison, on my system if Fabfilter Pro-C2 takes around 0.15 to 0.17% on "clean" mode, DC8C3 takes 0.14-0.15 with the easy-snap mode (CPU load gets even lower if disabling saturation)

4x oversampling ...
Pro-C2 - 0.34%
DC8C3 - 0.42% ( 0.32 if turning off saturation)

.. so it's safe to say they are very similar in CPU consumption which is fairly low

fluffy_little_something wrote:What is the CPU load like? The previous version was quite demanding with oversampling on...
I have an i7 4790k running @ 4ghz per core, and running Windows + Reaper 5.91, the host reports:

1x Oversampling: between 0.4% and 0.7%
2x Oversampling: between 0.8% and 1.4%%
4x Oversampling: between 1.4% and 2.4%
8x Oversampling: between 3.0% and 3.6%

This was in an otherwise empty project where I quickly recorded a short, mono (audio) bass track. I also used Reaper since it can easily show the per-plugin usage and anyone can download Reaper to compare for themselves.

I was using DC8C 3 in Snap mode with no Saturation and a bit of gain reduction. Quickly checking at 8x oversampling, adding saturation didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Seems like perfectly efficient CPU usage, however, this is about what I get with version 2 also. Not a huge change in CPU usage. YMMV based on your PC, setup, DAW, etc.

I last used v2 on my previous AMD computer and it was terrible, much more demanding than the Toneboosters bus compressor.

Wow... I was just comparing v2 vs v3 with the easy modes... the new version is definitely smoother and more refined.. so if you liked v2 you may love v3! :)

the CPU usage is about the same... the new version always seem to take about 0.1% more but that's nothing especially if you take into account the added benefits (btw I have an i7 8700K and also testing in Reaper)

3ee wrote:Wow... I was just comparing v2 vs v3 with the easy modes... the new version is definitely smoother and more refined.. so if you liked v2 you may love v3! :)

the CPU usage is about the same... the new version always seem to take about 0.1% more but that's nothing especially if you take into account the added benefits (btw I have an i7 8700K and also testing in Reaper)
Gotta save that extra overhead for the likes of iZotope. :wink:

djscorb wrote:Very generous as a free upgrade for existing owners. Thank you! :)
Absolutely!

3ee wrote: 4x oversampling ...
Pro-C2 - 0.34%
3ee wrote:(btw I have an i7 8700K and also testing in Reaper)
LOL it's at 3.5% on my system at 4x oversampling, on REAPER too (1024 spls).
I decided months ago that I was going to upgrade to an i7 8700K in the very near future, now I can't wait. :hihi:

But regardless of my system, and comparing to other plugins, the DC8C was never a CPU hog, rather light actually.
Last edited by Niowiad on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you so much for the generous update and, more generally, the accessible pricing. I really appreciate it.

Niowiad wrote:
Pro-C2 - 0.34%
I decided months ago that I was going to upgrade to an i7 8700K in the very near future, now I can't wait. :hihi:

But regardless of my system, and comparing to other plugins, the DC8C was never a CPU hog, rather light actually.
I'm using an Audient iD4 ASIO driver, 44.1k @ 256 samples buffer (they improved the driver recently with regards to low latency performance.... still not enough for large project tho, that means I can use my CPU only to about 60% of it's capacity more or less, regardless of the buffersize.. I got my eye on an RME interface... but darn it, the price! ) ... anyway, back to the plugin, lovely so far! :love:

3ee wrote:
Niowiad wrote:
Pro-C2 - 0.34%

I'm using an Audient iD4 ASIO driver, 44.1k @ 256 samples buffer (they improved the driver recently with regards to low latency performance.... still not enough for large project tho, that means I can use my CPU only to about 60% of it's capacity more or less, regardless of the buffersize.. I got my eye on an RME interface... but darn it, the price! ) ... anyway, back to the plugin, lovely so far! :love:
I should note that the figures I posted above (I was getting about 1.4-2.4% at 4x OS) were with an almost 15 year old RME Fireface 800 at 64 samples latency. So not too shabby for an older i7 and ancient interface. I'm thinking about pickup up a newer RME interface and keeping my Fireface around for extra I/O.

Thanks Tony

A very useful update.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

3ee wrote:
I have a feeling that this new version is a bit lighter on the CPU..

As a comparison, on my system if Fabfilter Pro-C2 takes around 0.15 to 0.17% on "clean" mode, DC8C3 takes 0.14-0.15 with the easy-snap mode (CPU load gets even lower if disabling saturation)

4x oversampling ...
Pro-C2 - 0.34%

.. so it's safe to say they are very similar in CPU consumption which is fairly low
The more features you disable and the more controls you set to zero, the more CPU consumption can be saved. Here's a preset which has the lowest possible CPU load. On my 2017 MBP it registers 0.09% in Reaper. DC8C2 with similar settings shows 0.13% here.
In addition to disabling the saturation, setting CH SEP and the PROG DEP for both attack and release to 0 should have the biggest impact.

To try out this preset, just copy it into clipboard and then click on the preset name in DC8C3 and select <paste from clipboard>

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<KlanghelmDC8C3 presetname="light CPU"  SaturationAmount="0.0" OperationMode="2"
                Ratio="4.0" NegativeRatios="0" RatioNegative="-4.0" FeedBackMix="0.0"
                Threshold="0.0" Range="50.0" Attack="2.00" AttackX10="0" AttackSMOOTH="2.56"
                AttackPUNCH="2.56" AttackSNAP="2.56" AttackCRUSH="2.56" AttackProgramDependency="0"
                Release="250" ReleaseSMOOTH="565" ReleasePUNCH="565" ReleaseSNAP="565"
                ReleaseCRUSH="565" ReleaseProgramDependency="0" Shape="0" ShapeAmount="0"
                RMSTime="0.0" PreAttack="0.0" HoldTime="0.0" GRSmoothing="0.0"
                Saturation="0" SaturationPosition="0" ChannelSeparation="0" SCurveAttack="0"
                SCurveRelease="0" SmoothDetector="0"  SidechainListen="0"
                HPfreq="20" HPF12dB="0" LPfreq="20000" LPF12dB="0" Tilt="0.0"
                InputGain="0.0" OutputGain="0.0" Mix="100.0" Clip="0" AGC="0"
                View="1" Bypass="0"/>

Loving it so far! Glad there was a choice to go back to the VU meters!

One thing I'm finding off but could just be to do with the improved compresson algorithims, is the release time on the VU meter, it seems irratic at some times, like playing a kick loop, at some speeds it behaves as one might expect, like fast release it clamps down quickly(Infact even with DC8C2 I'm using to the VU GR meter reducing slowly) but some places in the 200+ms range It's bouncing around at the bottom in a way that seems buggy.

Anyone else getting this?

Definetely worthy of being a paid update! I would have loved to see faster release times(for 1176 style compression) but after all it is meant to be a clean compressor and also being able to move togglepre/post Sat with one click instead of having to have a click down menu. The omission of the input knob on the easy modes seems a bit strange.

Anyway once again, many thanks, it's pretty much the sole compressor I use, so I'm a fan! :)

Great update Tony! If only other companies could be more like Klanghelm! :clap:
Last edited by iosys on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”