Vertigo VSM-3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MadDogE134 wrote:if i am not mistaken... the loyalty voucher is based not only on the product you have but on what you actually paid for it too. for example... if you have all their plugs but got them all on a $9 sale each then you would not get as much of a loyalty voucher as someone that has all of the plugs and bought the full monty bundle at full price. it IS based on product owned but also on the what you have paid on account. they do keep records :) cheers
Yeah, I got a $75 voucher with 16 products (not including the freebies), all bought in various sales over the past 4 years, but they were all the expensive ones - alpha, XL, Digital etc. So far this year I've got vsm and bax for free, Millenia eq for ¢25.
Looking forward to next month! :D

MadDogE134 wrote:it IS based on product owned but also on the what you have paid on account. they do keep records :)
Is that an assumption, or... ?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Googly Smythe wrote:
MadDogE134 wrote:if i am not mistaken... the loyalty voucher is based not only on the product you have but on what you actually paid for it too. for example... if you have all their plugs but got them all on a $9 sale each then you would not get as much of a loyalty voucher as someone that has all of the plugs and bought the full monty bundle at full price. it IS based on product owned but also on the what you have paid on account. they do keep records :) cheers
Yeah, I got a $75 voucher with 16 products (not including the freebies), all bought in various sales over the past 4 years, but they were all the expensive ones - alpha, XL, Digital etc. So far this year I've got vsm and bax for free, Millenia eq for ¢25.
Looking forward to next month! :D
Ok, that all makes sense...thanks guys

There wouldn't be anyone with all their products, a voucher and nothing to spend it on around, would there? :cry:
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

If you log into your account you can see all your purchase invoices - their system possibly (can't confirm) just adds the totals of those invoices together and calculates your voucher based on that. This would mean that the $20 activation fees are also measured if you bought secondhand, but not the full "retail" prices you didn't pay. That's my guess - it's calculated on actual net spend PA got from you, regardless of RRP.

I think the most I've ever paid was probably $90 ish for anything.
Although, most of the ones in that range, I bought from resellers.
I can't complain, I've gotten some great vouchers from PA anyway.

jens wrote:
MadDogE134 wrote:it IS based on product owned but also on the what you have paid on account. they do keep records :)
Is that an assumption, or... ?
as i recall when they first started giving out the loyalty vouchers (not the monthly) mine were different amounts and i wrote support to ask why. and again... as i recall... that is what they told me in reply it is not only based on the plugs but the amount in which they were purchased. but this was probably a year or so ago

so NO it is not chiseled in stone... just what i can remember :oops:
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Apologies for the necro but I'm a little confused how to apply the wet/dry amounts for the 2nd and 3rd Harmonic distortion sections and so am wondering if someone could help. According to the manual you use the 'THD Mix' dial but it doesn't appear to do anything - I get just as loud additional harmonics if it's set to 0% or 100% - Using SPAN to analyse the signal the spectrum doesn't change at all !

EDIT: Damn, as soon as I hit 'send' I noticed that the THD mixer does work when using any other setting than 'Track' on each harmonic section....

This is a great plugin. Very flexible for what it does. Amoung other things, I have a great trick that uses the VSM to synthesize subharmonics.

mcbpete wrote:Apologies for the necro but I'm a little confused how to apply the wet/dry amounts for the 2nd and 3rd Harmonic distortion sections and so am wondering if someone could help. According to the manual you use the 'THD Mix' dial but it doesn't appear to do anything - I get just as loud additional harmonics if it's set to 0% or 100% - Using SPAN to analyse the signal the spectrum doesn't change at all !

EDIT: Damn, as soon as I hit 'send' I noticed that the THD mixer does work when using any other setting than 'Track' on each harmonic section....
Yeah, it says explicitely in the manual that the % doesn't work in 'track' mode. I honestly have no idea why, maybe it makes sense in the hardware due to the design but it's a kinda silly design decision in a plugin.

dubguy99 wrote:
mcbpete wrote:Apologies for the necro but I'm a little confused how to apply the wet/dry amounts for the 2nd and 3rd Harmonic distortion sections and so am wondering if someone could help. According to the manual you use the 'THD Mix' dial but it doesn't appear to do anything - I get just as loud additional harmonics if it's set to 0% or 100% - Using SPAN to analyse the signal the spectrum doesn't change at all !

Yeah, it says explicitely in the manual that the % doesn't work in 'track' mode. I honestly have no idea why, maybe it makes sense in the hardware due to the design but it's a kinda silly design decision in a plugin.
My guess is it’s a limitation of th original hardware which may have to do with component cost. Or maybe they just didn’t think we’d need it??

I'm going to have to pull a mini-resurrection here and say wowee zowee for this. It's going to be hard to not use this on almost everything. Maybe a silly question, but f you use this on percussion, would you place a transient shaper before or after? I'm not sure if it's more a personal preference or if there's a way that technically works best. I assume it's after, as it sounds fine. Thanks-

Jonathan Shepherd wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:35 pm I'm going to have to pull a mini-resurrection here and say wowee zowee for this. It's going to be hard to not use this on almost everything. Maybe a silly question, but f you use this on percussion, would you place a transient shaper before or after? I'm not sure if it's more a personal preference or if there's a way that technically works best. I assume it's after, as it sounds fine. Thanks-
VSM squashes transients, and can be problematic. So you'd place a shaper after, to try to 'get back' some of what you've lost by using VSM-3.

mholloway wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:24 pm
Jonathan Shepherd wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:35 pm I'm going to have to pull a mini-resurrection here and say wowee zowee for this. It's going to be hard to not use this on almost everything. Maybe a silly question, but f you use this on percussion, would you place a transient shaper before or after? I'm not sure if it's more a personal preference or if there's a way that technically works best. I assume it's after, as it sounds fine. Thanks-
VSM squashes transients, and can be problematic. So you'd place a shaper after, to try to 'get back' some of what you've lost by using VSM-3.
I'd say get your transients right first. If you're adding so much saturation you are ruining your sound, then maybe saturate less, or do it in parallel.

but really - which ever sounds right.

Thanks guys. So if I run it in parallel, should I go in and mix the original attack with the VSM-3 body? Sounds like something to do manually with single percussion samples, yeesh. I'll work on mixing them together in different capacities and just see what sounds good.

there is nothing stopping you from putting one both before and after it and then experiment/adjust to taste
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”