Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Vector synthesis. Tee-hee! :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote:This will be so epic...but I really don't want to get excited. That much stuff has got to take serious time and effort to set up. My control voltage inputs get overloaded just reading that list. :hyper:
A whole lot of this stuff is nearly ready to go. Most of it simply needs to be polished. A lot of work ahead, but not nearly as much as a year or two ago.

The Curve and Waveform editors are the main hold up, I simply couldn't get around finishing them. That's also why nothing was ever visible. So I have passed the spline based curve editor over to the capable hands of another developer.

Which currently let's me concentrate on waveform manipulation and playback, i.e. the deep stuff below the surface of these editors. So if we see an update to Hive soon which adds significant wavetable capabilities, it's in fact preparation for Zebra3 that materializes.

Ways of separately triggering each column in the modules grid? So that we could have some semblance of multitimbrality? i.e. having an arp per column would be bloody awesome.

EvilDragon wrote:Ways of separately triggering each column in the modules grid? So that we could have some semblance of multitimbrality? i.e. having an arp per column would be bloody awesome.
Arp per column = no, since lanes can interact, and even more so in the future.

Separate triggering of many things = yes, but not necessarily over keys.

Urs wrote:
spunkmuffin wrote:This will be so epic...but I really don't want to get excited. That much stuff has got to take serious time and effort to set up. My control voltage inputs get overloaded just reading that list. :hyper:
A whole lot of this stuff is nearly ready to go. Most of it simply needs to be polished. A lot of work ahead, but not nearly as much as a year or two ago.

The Curve and Waveform editors are the main hold up, I simply couldn't get around finishing them. That's also why nothing was ever visible. So I have passed the spline based curve editor over to the capable hands of another developer.

Which currently let's me concentrate on waveform manipulation and playback, i.e. the deep stuff below the surface of these editors. So if we see an update to Hive soon which adds significant wavetable capabilities, it's in fact preparation for Zebra3 that materializes.
That's actually really good to hear! given the lack of screenshots, it's really hard to get a real sense of how much progress has been made on Zebra3, but it sounds like you guys have definitely been busy ^^

Actually, I can’t wait to hear it (and, of course, to play it) ! An updated Zebra, with all the new features Urs listed (!!!), with - I suppose - a sound quality to rival/surpass RePro... would be my favorite synth, ever.

Ps: of course I’d love to see a screenshot or two... or ten ^^
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Hi Urs,
I am so exited about ZEBRA 3 and I wish for you it will become the dream-synth you had in mind when planning it years ago and that it will become enormous popular :love:

I know it´s written on the first entry of this thread but that was years ago and it coud have changed...so I am curious about if there maybe is a chance, that the DIVA-filters will make it into ZEBRA3 (maybe they don´t fit perfectly into the concept)?

One important note at the end:
Thank you very much for the generous upgrade price for Z2 owners! That´s simply amazing...like your activity and information habits on the forum.

Have a joyful time.

P.S.
"Wavetable-function" in HIVE? Maybe in the end it will become an interesting synth for me one day. I own it already like all your synth but to be honest, I find it too limiting at the moment. Thank you for further developing HIVE :party: :tu:

Why does it take so long to develop this synth? Its announced 6-7 years ago and its still not finished and not even on the horizon of being finished if I understand correctly?

Anyway, I am looking forward to it...

MorpherX wrote:
Urs wrote:
_al_ wrote:Here's a thought which may interest you:
In Surge (yep, i still use this), i can load waveforms of (i think) unlimited size, as long as it's a multiple of the size of a single cycle. So if a single cycle is 1048, you can load a vocal sample which is 32 or 64 times that length, and have a waveform that actually sounds like a vocal sample when you scan through it.
Would be a nice little touch for the synth to end all synths
Unlimited size would be overkill IMHO, but up to, say, 256 cycles might be useful. Especially if you prefer external editors like Xfer Serum or Synthtech WaveEdit:

http://synthtech.com/waveedit/

Please, please give an option to the user so that he/she can deside how many single cycles are created when importing/resynthesize a sample, best up to 512.

Why ?
Some sounds are simple structured and without any tonal changes in loudnes and / or pitch; for this sounds 4, 8 or 16 singles cycles are enough. But complex sound effects and vocals may need 256 or even more like 400 or 500 singles cycles to be resynthsized in a high quality manner.

Please give us high quality resynthesis without compromises witch lower down the quality !!!
Maybe, than you should look for other synth when that is a such important feature for you. ICARUS and INFINITE PRO have very good re-synthesis options.

I understand the decision of U-HE and I think that will not be the main focus for ZEBRA 3. Okay but I like it lo-fi and when a re-synthesized sound is mangled in a way it's becoming something totally different than it's original base. :hihi:
Last edited by nichttuntun on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HcDoom wrote:Why does it take so long to develop this synth? Its announced 6-7 years ago and its still not finished and not even on the horizon of being finished if I understand correctly?
Development takes time. Plus, stuff happens in the meantime that takes greater precedence.

And you're not understanding correctly. Read above post from Urs: viewtopic.php?p=7118925#p7118925

Yes EvilDragon. That's an obvious point and if we consider that U-HE provides high end sounding quality and very deep modulateable plugins I think it is a good decision to not rush things. They have worked out a great reputation and the can't afford to come out with a third part of one of the already best synth on the market and than suck. That would be catastrophe. And as I am aware Z3 isn't the only thing U-HE is putting time into development. :hihi: :party:

Honestly, i don't even think about Z3, even though i know it will be my number 1 synth.
There's lots of things in this world i want but don't have, so i'm not gonna waste my valuable time worrying about it.
yeah we all want Z3, but i don't think any amount of bitching is gonna make it arrive any faster

Do you plan to include modal synthesis in Zebra 3?

goleat wrote:Do you plan to include modal synthesis in Zebra 3?
Yes.

Urs wrote:
goleat wrote:Do you plan to include modal synthesis in Zebra 3?
Yes.

:love: :party:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “u-he”