Hive 1.1 latest build - revision 7485

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:Some additional facts about the roadmap for an official release of Hive 1.2:
  • final tagging of 2700+ presets
  • we're adding NKS support
  • addition of macro controls in hexagon
  • More Waveforms
  • possibly one of the new skins we were working on
^^ this is what we're gonna work on in the next few weeks!

Stay tuned,

- U
Can't wait for that NKS support :)

Urs wrote:Hmmm, honestly, I'm not sure if that makes much sense to me. In my opinion feedback from VCA to VCF only really makes sense in analogue modelling synths, which sacrifice CPU for accuracy. In Hive it might not nearly come out as interesting as anticipated.
Iam not sure if I understand this corretly but this is what I meant:

Having this in Hive would be sweet. There is a native synth in Bitwig Studio called "Polysynth" and it has dedicated knob for this effect and it sounds awesome on x16 sounds. Its a very simple and superlight synth so I thought it would be easy to implement same thing in Hive ( as a single additional knob ).

This kind of feedback only makes sense if you have some kind of cool non-linearity in the filter or somewhere else, otherwise it won't behave much different than a volume knob that also kills the resonance, which is why it's mostly useful in synths that model analog behavior in some way.

Ok, made a very little audio demo.

https://u-he.com/urs/HiveSync.mp3

This is, well, "-1 + 2 * frac( phase * 8 * ( table + 1 ) )", which is a term in a waveform sculpting language I'm currently working on. Think Serum formula parser, but with a list (or layers) of expressions and photoshop-like "blend modes" between layered waveforms. So you can actually stitch a few waveforms together and blend/morph from one to another. Creating sync sweeps, fm sounds, bells, synth choirs... piece of cake. Initial results are utterly promising, now just homing in on it to the point where it's safe to say "yep, this is coming".

Still working on the interpolation algorithm though, and on keeping CPU usage as low as you#d expect from Hive.

Woooooot! Love the concept, and sounds very promising indeed! Go team U-he!

Urs wrote:Ok, made a very little audio demo.

https://u-he.com/urs/HiveSync.mp3

This is, well, "-1 + 2 * frac( phase * 8 * ( table + 1 ) )", which is a term in a waveform sculpting language I'm currently working on. Think Serum formula parser, but with a list (or layers) of expressions and photoshop-like "blend modes" between layered waveforms. So you can actually stitch a few waveforms together and blend/morph from one to another. Creating sync sweeps, fm sounds, bells, synth choirs... piece of cake. Initial results are utterly promising, now just homing in on it to the point where it's safe to say "yep, this is coming".

Still working on the interpolation algorithm though, and on keeping CPU usage as low as you#d expect from Hive.
Sounds very cool! You may even want to make mention of it in the Zebra 3 thread since this will eventually work it's way over.

Sure, but Zebra3 will have an editor for waveforms, while Hive won't. For Hive it'll be more crucial for us to bundle a good load of great sounding waveta... ehhhmm waveforms.

Urs wrote:Sure, but Zebra3 will have an editor for waveforms, while Hive won't. For Hive it'll be more crucial for us to bundle a good load of great sounding waveta... ehhhmm waveforms.
Oh yeah, bring it on...

Urs wrote: blend/morph from one to another. Creating sync sweeps, fm sounds, bells, synth choirs...
Very unique approach Urs :clap:
So there's a wavetable slots, and a blend modes, in those blend modes "sync" can be? It means like it's going to apply a "transition" between "frame 1" and "frame n", I mean it's not a traditional type of vintage synthesis, right?

phreaque wrote:
Urs wrote: blend/morph from one to another. Creating sync sweeps, fm sounds, bells, synth choirs...
So there's a wavetable slots, and a blend modes, in those blend modes "sync" can be? It means like it's going to apply a "transition" between "frame 1" and "frame n", I mean it's not a traditional type of vintage synthesis, right?
No, hehe, "sync" isn't a blend mode... blend modes are more like replace, add, subtract, multiply, divide, max, min. A sync sweep is best created be some formula. But two sync sweeps can be merged together using a blend mode. They then appear like one single waveform.

A transition is good for cases where a formula does not create a nice sweep. Let's say, you have two formulas which create an interesting waveform each, but there's no easy maths to go from one to the other. Then you can apply a transition to create a crossfade or even a more dramatic sounding sweep between the two.

Note that, while it will certainly be possible to create and edit your own scripts, it's not anything that Hive users will commonly have to deal with. For a Hive user it'll look and feel like any other waveform. This just makes Hive extensible.

Urs wrote:No, hehe, "sync" isn't a blend mode... blend modes are more like replace, add, subtract, multiply, divide, max, min. A sync sweep is best created be some formula.
It was my understanding that there would be no math.

https://vimeo.com/65921206

Urs wrote:
phreaque wrote:
No, hehe, "sync" isn't a blend mode... blend modes are more like replace, add, subtract, multiply, divide, max, min. A sync sweep is best created be some formula. But two sync sweeps can be merged together using a blend mode. They then appear like one single waveform.
Sounds logical & straight forward.
A transition is good for cases where a formula does not create a nice sweep. Let's say, you have two formulas which create an interesting waveform each, but there's no easy maths to go from one to the other. Then you can apply a transition to create a crossfade or even a more dramatic sounding sweep between the two.
That can make the sound - if carefully sculpted - very organic :love:
Note that, while it will certainly be possible to create and edit your own scripts, it's not anything that Hive users will commonly have to deal with. For a Hive user it'll look and feel like any other waveform. This just makes Hive extensible.
Absolutely a fantastic addon would be. Thanks Urs :pray:

Hi, love the new update!

Is there a way to add custom tags? I play Synthophone windcontroller and tagging my patches with Breath Control (or Breath or BC) would be very helpful.

Thanks,

robosax

ps-> I'm stunned at how much I've fallen in love with the sound of Hive and how well it responds to breath control, and how quick & easy it is to program for breath. thank you! :tu:

No custom tags (and that won't happen IIRC).

You can add whatever info you want as text in the Description field, and that can also be searched through (by using desc:wordyouwanttosearchfor)

or simply reserve a favourites colour for your search...

Return to “u-he”