One FX plugin (self-)challenge - guess the plugin

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
jens
KVRAF
18751 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:17 am

Guenon wrote:Okay, it's......

MConvolutionMB by MeldaProduction :D
I think I even have it... but as far as I know it's not capable of doing anything non-linear, right? The processor I used is highly non-linear. :-D

Okay, here's some further hints:

it's a single-page completely non-modular plugin (no pulldown-menues or something like that at all). :-D
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey

jens
KVRAF

Re: One FX plugin (self-)challenge - guess the plugin

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 am

I would certainly like to have more guesses and discussion about what it's doing to the sound (both positive and negative) before I will reveal what it is. :-D

I want to know what people hear before they know what it is.
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey

Guenon
KVRian
1485 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:36 am

jens wrote:I think I even have it... but as far as I know it's not capable of doing anything non-linear, right? The processor I used is highly non-linear. :-D
My thoughts exactly, as I have the plugin as a sort of a sleeper in my plugin folder as well. Before I made the guess, I checked and it does indeed have separate stages for distorting the signal and the like, and even a couple of guitar speaker presets as a proof of concept. Definitely not its main use, more of a curiosity. Quickly tried to recreate the sort of sounds you have going on there, including the modulation :), and got "sort of close but eh but dang I'm still gonna guess this one."

Trying to figure out something surprising and out of the box here :D

jens
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:42 am

Oh, I see - tbh it's been years since I last tried it - i got it when it was on sale (its intro sale iIrc) but never really used it.

As I kind-of mentioned before, your out-of-the-box thinking in general is absolutely the right attitude here.

bob swans
KVRist
125 posts since 16 Sep, 2007

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:14 am

It sounds a bit like XLN RC20 to me but i thinks that's an obvious answer, Need to listen properly when i'm not on my work laptop with one earphone in :)
Presets available for DSI P12 , U-he Repro-5, Audiorealism ABL Pro and Madrona Labs Virta here https://sellfy.com/BoBSwanS

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
23007 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:29 am

N/M

jens
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:54 am

bob swans wrote:It sounds a bit like XLN RC20 to me but i thinks that's an obvious answer, Need to listen properly when i'm not on my work laptop with one earphone in :)
A nice guess, but while I have it, I consider the RC20 to be a multi-fx (and two of the FX even have pulldown-menus to choose bewteen various algorithms), so that would have been cheating.

Hez
KVRist
492 posts since 10 Dec, 2013

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 am

Gonna guess a delay plugin with a nice saturation section, definitely feels like there's some major spatialisation in the wet mix that you'd need delay or reverb to achieve. If the instruments weren't DI'd I might have guessed some really aggressive compression with a Disto or something to bring the room sound up and increase the perceived sense of space, but not sure how you would have got that from a DI...

EDIT: Just noticed the obvious delay tails near the end so I'm gonna go for Echoboy (or a Waves delay as there's been a bit of Waves hinting in the thread, but I've never used Waves plugins so wouldn't know where to start).

EDIT2: Ohwait noticed post above re: dropdown menus - maybe not Echoboy then but I stand by my general assumption.

jens
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:26 am

Nice post - thanks for that! :-D

B.t.w.: if you listen to the dry version I posted a few posts below my original one, you will hear that it really sounds completely dry without the plugin. :-)

Kr3eM
KVRist
364 posts since 1 Sep, 2007

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:06 pm

SKnote Roundtone 4

Delta Sign
KVRist
434 posts since 22 Jun, 2018

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Cool track and nice challenge!

My guess would be some kind of tape plugin or something else which basically emulates some sort of "colorized buffer". There are a bunch of delay and saturation things going on, basically, which would be exactly what a tape would be good for.

I have no idea which one though, as I only really know Satin.

pekbro
KVRAF
1968 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 pm

More Feedback Machine

funky lime
KVRian
1116 posts since 17 Sep, 2002

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:37 pm

ferox

jens
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:59 am

All good guesses - you're getting closer! :-D

TIMT
KVRian
632 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:36 am

Ubermod?i don't remember what the saturation sounded like in that,but the washy spacial stuff reminds me of Ubermod.i think it would sort of qualify as one page no drop down menus too.it does have tabs though,so maybe not
I

Return to “Effects”