One FX plugin (self-)challenge - guess the plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Guenon wrote:Okay, it's......

MConvolutionMB by MeldaProduction :D
I think I even have it... but as far as I know it's not capable of doing anything non-linear, right? The processor I used is highly non-linear. :-D

Okay, here's some further hints:

it's a single-page completely non-modular plugin (no pulldown-menues or something like that at all). :-D
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I would certainly like to have more guesses and discussion about what it's doing to the sound (both positive and negative) before I will reveal what it is. :-D

I want to know what people hear before they know what it is.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:I think I even have it... but as far as I know it's not capable of doing anything non-linear, right? The processor I used is highly non-linear. :-D
My thoughts exactly, as I have the plugin as a sort of a sleeper in my plugin folder as well. Before I made the guess, I checked and it does indeed have separate stages for distorting the signal and the like, and even a couple of guitar speaker presets as a proof of concept. Definitely not its main use, more of a curiosity. Quickly tried to recreate the sort of sounds you have going on there, including the modulation :), and got "sort of close but eh but dang I'm still gonna guess this one."

Trying to figure out something surprising and out of the box here :D

Oh, I see - tbh it's been years since I last tried it - i got it when it was on sale (its intro sale iIrc) but never really used it.

As I kind-of mentioned before, your out-of-the-box thinking in general is absolutely the right attitude here.

It sounds a bit like XLN RC20 to me but i thinks that's an obvious answer, Need to listen properly when i'm not on my work laptop with one earphone in :)
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

N/M

bob swans wrote:It sounds a bit like XLN RC20 to me but i thinks that's an obvious answer, Need to listen properly when i'm not on my work laptop with one earphone in :)
A nice guess, but while I have it, I consider the RC20 to be a multi-fx (and two of the FX even have pulldown-menus to choose bewteen various algorithms), so that would have been cheating.

Gonna guess a delay plugin with a nice saturation section, definitely feels like there's some major spatialisation in the wet mix that you'd need delay or reverb to achieve. If the instruments weren't DI'd I might have guessed some really aggressive compression with a Disto or something to bring the room sound up and increase the perceived sense of space, but not sure how you would have got that from a DI...

EDIT: Just noticed the obvious delay tails near the end so I'm gonna go for Echoboy (or a Waves delay as there's been a bit of Waves hinting in the thread, but I've never used Waves plugins so wouldn't know where to start).

EDIT2: Ohwait noticed post above re: dropdown menus - maybe not Echoboy then but I stand by my general assumption.

Nice post - thanks for that! :-D

B.t.w.: if you listen to the dry version I posted a few posts below my original one, you will hear that it really sounds completely dry without the plugin. :-)

SKnote Roundtone 4

Cool track and nice challenge!

My guess would be some kind of tape plugin or something else which basically emulates some sort of "colorized buffer". There are a bunch of delay and saturation things going on, basically, which would be exactly what a tape would be good for.

I have no idea which one though, as I only really know Satin.

More Feedback Machine

ferox

All good guesses - you're getting closer! :-D

Ubermod?i don't remember what the saturation sounded like in that,but the washy spacial stuff reminds me of Ubermod.i think it would sort of qualify as one page no drop down menus too.it does have tabs though,so maybe not
I

Return to “Effects”