Organizing User Banks & Presets

Official support for: kv331audio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is anyone else having trouble organizing their presets. With other synths you can easily create and delete banks and presets in the browser of your OS but it doesn't seem to be the same with Synthmaster.

I want to delete a bunch of duplicate banks that I now have for some reason, and be able to transfer some of the presets in those duplicates to the banks that I plan to keep. Is there an easy way of doing this?

How do you guys keep your presets and banks tidy?

Thanks

Hey Tony what OS are you using? If your on a Mac the presents are kept in the following locations.

Stock presents in:
MacHD/Library/KV331 Audio/SynthMaster/Presets

User built presets are saved to:
"yourHomeDirectory"/Documents/SynthMaster/Presets

You can move/delete from here.
Cheers

I have this question as well. Yes, there is a Synthmaster (2.9) folder in Documents, on Windows, with a single Presets folder, not bank folders though. Must be for user presets, but it may be from the demo install - adding presets there does nothing (unless I do so one at a time by using "save as" - which would be tedious indeed if I were to try and create a bank this way. Also at this location there is an XML document that describes the factory presets.

On the other hand, at Program Files\KV331 I have Synthmaster and Synthmaster One folders as well, and this appears to be where all the factory banks are, in folders, with their individual presets inside. But when I add presets or try to add bank folders here and then reboot the plugin, I am seeing nothing.

So I am at a loss since I don't see the procedure for creating user banks described in the manual - unless I am looking for it using the wrong search terms. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, after digging around and trying things, and re-loading Synthmaster each time, I figured out that if I created folders and did create a new bank folder manually, during the save preset menu action, then the presets would show up. Then, once the bank folder is there, I am able to copy multiple presets into it (that I may have saved elsewhere one at a time). Not sure if this is correct, but it works for me this one time.

what is exact location to put presets on windows or mac for synthmaster2 please?

deejay2 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:41 am what is exact location to put presets on windows or mac for synthmaster2 please?
Should be these:
macOS: /Library/Application Support/KV331 Audio/SynthMaster/Presets
Windows: \Program Files\Vstplugins\SynthMaster\Presets
a set of teeth attached to a rotating chain driven along a guide bar :D

deejay2 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:41 am what is exact location to put presets on windows or mac for synthmaster2 please?
Hi,

You can put your own presets to Documents / Synthmaster / Preset folder for both Mac and Windows. You can see them under Browser / My Presets folder on Synthmaster interface.

talking of presets, are there any user-made freebies out there, I'm getting started with Synthmaster

I have found it absolutely impossible to organise Banks and Presets in both Synthmaster 1 & 2 iOS. All my projects from a couple of years ago rely on midi prog changes to minimise the number of SM instances, this was a BIG BIG mistake. Every time I purchased a new preset pack and allocated them to a bank number, ALL my previous presets in every bank would rearrange themselves automatically because these new presets slotted alphabetically in all banks, so all midi prog change numbers now select wrong presets.
Talk about duplicates! The majority of my banks now contain two of each saved preset. One of my particular banks only had 19 presets (I have to add index numbers to them to keep them in order), but now there are 40? If I create a new preset and add it to this bank, I have to delete the original bank and then reallocate this new bank to its original position, but all the doubled up presets now have new positions in this bank and now the wrong presets are called up with midi Prog numbers.
I have reported this issue so many times, I am then reassured that this will be fixed!! It has never been fixed. The only way to securely use individual presets in a track, is to FREEZE it, but this is no use to anyone who wants to use Synthmaster for live playing situations, imagine performing a synth prog rock style composition, you get to the main solo expecting to play a powerful lead synth with mind bending vibrato and pitch bend……..instead you get a tinker bell piano in its place 🤯
So, the final answer to the main question of “how do you guys organise your banks and presets”, you just can’t……. period.

Bank and preset management for program changes is completely broken in SynthMaster 2 IOS app.

Be warned everyone. Trying to organize user presets is an absolute nightmare which is RIDICULOUS considering how many presets you can own.

It’s a shame. Possibly a short term fix for the dev would be to store presets visibly in finder or iCloud to allow us to manually organize them?

In any case, look elsewhere if you want to avoid huge preset messes.

I have been saying this to the KVAUDIO team for the past couple of years, I started off reporting preset management issues with Synthmaster One, then when Synthmaster 2 was released I was hoping this issue would be fixed 🎊 but sadly that wasn’t to be🙁

Developers please understand this, Synthmaster 1&2 have beautiful powerful sonic presets, the synths are a dream to manipulate, in my honest opinion- there isn’t any other app that can outperform them.
For the sake of all of us SM users, please fix the preset data base…..and whilst you’re at it please fix the vanishing Midi Learn issue I have complained about many many many many times.

This is a crosspost from another thread I responded to, but it's a better place to leave this information in case anyone needs it.

Here's the best summary I can do of the iOS preset management problems.

I recently recovered from preset hell and discovered some things. I would say very likely it's all internal database issues with Synthmaster 2.

This is what has been going wrong for me:
- When you save a new preset a dialog pops up with an option to make a new bank. If you make a new bank, or save a preset into a bank in that dialog, it will save, BUT, if you go to the new preset and check it's info - no bank info is there. Eventually what happened to me is that half the presets left the bank only to be found in "my presets" and half continued to still show up in the bank for some reason.
- The problem is worse if you add a bank name to an existing preset by using the info window and re-saving. You end up creating a duplicate that can't be deleted or even selected.
- Trying to delete a preset generally doesn't work, but sometimes does inexplicably.
- There is no way to delete the names of banks from the save preset dialog, even if the bank itself is already deleted.
- The presets are organized alphabetically, but the browse window rarely refreshes. So you can work for quite a while with your presets organized one way, and then suddenly it refreshes and moves everything. Things can get really confusing when you add presets to a program (to use program changes)and then they later reorganize.

Basically, there seems to be a problem with that save preset dialog not actually adding bank names and the database getting messed up. Possibly that's why presets can't be deleted most of the time too. Database can't find them properly because not all the info is there.

------------------------

I've found some tedious workarounds, to clean up the database and seemingly save presets properly. Would be amazing to get a fix though.

This is the best way I've found to save a preset:
- When you're ready to save, open the info dialog and change the author name and bank name to whatever you want.
- Then hit save preset and open the save preset dialog
- DO NOT choose a new bank or make a bank, leave the bank slot as "empty". (Remember that you just put the bank name in the info window) Rename your preset keeping in mind the bank will alphabetize them at some point.

If you need to delete a preset that can't be deleted - deleting a bank by using "delete presets" from the browse window (cog icon menu) seems to always work so:
- Open the info window and change the bank name of the preset you want to delete to anything else, like "delete"
- Save the preset, this will make a duplicate
- Delete the new bank, using the delete presets option in browse window (under the cog icon)
- This will delete BOTH copies of that preset and the bank
- If you need to save that preset but move it to new bank, first change the bank in the info dialog then save it as new preset with a new name. Then add the old one to a new bank and save it normally making a duplicate. Then delete the new bank.

As you can see working this way in iOS is incredibly tedious but I haven't found any other way that's reliable. I imagine this is why people on desktop organize presets using the Windows or Mac explorer folders instead of the browse window in Synthmaster, but that option isn't available for iOS.

I hope this helps somebody, I lost over 10 hours figuring this much out and trying to clean up the database and reorganize things in preparation for a show, but Synthmaster is such an excellent thing that I had to try to make it work. So far this method is working for me.

[This is the best way I've found to save a preset:
- When you're ready to save, open the info dialog and change the author name and bank name to whatever you want.
- Then hit save preset and open the save preset dialog
- DO NOT choose a new bank or make a bank, leave the bank slot as "empty". (Remember that you just put the bank name in the info window) Rename your preset keeping in mind the bank will alphabetize them at some point.]

The above is a preset saving solution suggested by Tentype on Friday 12 May.

I have to say…..IT WORKS….IT WORKS…..IT WORKS 😀
One thing I do now religiously is to number all my saved presets, so they no longer slot in alphabetically.
One other thing, once you have saved a preset to an existing bank using the above method, in Stand-alone mode open Browse, tap the cog tab/Manage Banks and delete the bank you have just added a preset to, then reselect Browse/cog tab/Assign Presets and add the updated bank (containing the new preset) to the deleted space, and as I joyfully mentioned above…..IT WORKS🎊🏹🥂
Thank you Tentype 🍻🙂

Fantastic, glad hear this works for you too!

Honestly, this really should be enough information to diagnose the issue. I hope they get to it soon.
Having a functional workaround is nice, but having a fully working product is way better. Especially for such a preset heavy synth.

Return to “KV331 Audio”