AKAI VIP 3.0 released

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
bojanboyss
KVRist
64 posts since 13 Jun, 2009

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:46 am

I noticed that sometimes I have to select midi map before my already mapped controller starts working. Maybe because I sometimes open when controller is not connected. Maybe you should try to see if you didnt missed that step (after step 3 in the above post):

Ofcourse if you are sure VIP sees your controller. Try in standalone
Last edited by bojanboyss on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzz00m
KVRian
1293 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: AKAI VIP 3.0 released

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:34 am

For testing, always best to use VIP standalone, to isolate any DAW specific issues.

Then always make sure your controller (and driver, if necessary) is turned on and connected before launching VIP. Then confirm that your controller is recognized in the VIP settings > 'Audio/MIDI Settings'. Ensure that there is a checkmark next to your active MIDI inputs in VIP.

Some MIDI controller drivers may create more than one MIDI input port, so you will need to make sure they are all selected, say for example if your keyboard data gets sent over a MIDI port 1, and your encoder and fader data get sent over a MIDI port 2. I actually have a Roland USB keyboard that does this. If port 2 is not enabled in VIP, or any host, the control surface will not work at all, but the keys will be fine.
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

chk071
KVRAF
17044 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:50 am

zzz00m wrote: Some MIDI controller drivers may create more than one MIDI input port, so you will need to make sure they are all selected, say for example if your keyboard data gets sent over a MIDI port 1, and your encoder and fader data get sent over a MIDI port 2. I actually have a Roland USB keyboard that does this. If port 2 is not enabled in VIP, or any host, the control surface will not work at all, but the keys will be fine.
I think you are right. I enabled the Impulse, AND MIDIIN2 (Impulse) ports now, and it seems to work. :) Thanks so much for pointing that out.

zzz00m
KVRian

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:54 am

chk071 wrote:
zzz00m wrote: Some MIDI controller drivers may create more than one MIDI input port, so you will need to make sure they are all selected, say for example if your keyboard data gets sent over a MIDI port 1, and your encoder and fader data get sent over a MIDI port 2. I actually have a Roland USB keyboard that does this. If port 2 is not enabled in VIP, or any host, the control surface will not work at all, but the keys will be fine.
I think you are right. I enabled the Impulse, AND MIDIIN2 (Impulse) ports now, and it seems to work. :) Thanks so much for pointing that out.
:tu: :tu: :tu: :party:
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

dune_rave
KVRian
1143 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Currently planning to get a new midi keyboard, and plugin integration looks good, but:
- Ni Komplete Kontrol has some features but not enough
- AKAI VIP maybe offers more, but with ILOK protection ( i don't like such protection)

Is there any alternative where you can select patches of plugins from the midi keyboard, and perhaps creating splits of different plugins?

It seems the best way for me is to get Komplete Kontrol software without the keyboard,
and get another quality keyboard...like this: https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/sl-studio/

aMUSEd
KVRAF
29660 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:50 pm

dune_rave wrote: It seems the best way for me is to get Komplete Kontrol software without the keyboard,
and get another quality keyboard...like this: https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/sl-studio/
You'd get the patch management but not be able to control it though using another keyboard.

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
2816 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 am

I didn't update VIP yet just because it has that iLok protection :?

That being said, it should be indifferent for me since I already use it with some iLok plugins.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Topcheese
KVRist
118 posts since 12 Nov, 2017

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:48 am

DJ Warmonger wrote:I didn't update VIP yet just because it has that iLok protection :?

That being said, it should be indifferent for me since I already use it with some iLok plugins.
I've never had any real problems with it, and I've been able to use it on four different machines. I"m thinking I may have a problem with the first computer that was wiped, but for the most part I was able to update VIP offline.

djmino02
KVRian
668 posts since 24 Nov, 2011

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Anyone tried the mpk49 w/ vip 3.x?

zzz00m
KVRian

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 pm

djmino02 wrote:Anyone tried the mpk49 w/ vip 3.x?
VIP will work with any MIDI keyboard that sends generic standard MIDI data. So you can map controls such as rotary encoders, sliders, pads, etc.

But you will only get the integrated two-way messaging with a VIP enabled keyboard, such as the Advance though.

djmino02
KVRian
668 posts since 24 Nov, 2011

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Ok. So it won't auto assign knobs?

makingmusic
KVRer
4 posts since 11 Aug, 2018

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:36 am

i think you have to do that yourself if you don't have one of the supported models

zzz00m
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:17 am

VIP 3.1 has factory MIDI maps for various Akai and M-Audio controllers, including MPK249, available in the MIDI learn mode. I don't have the MPK series, so I cannot say how well this works. Plus you can create and save multiple user maps.

chris.r
KVRist
261 posts since 29 Dec, 2007

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi there, I have a question to you VIP3 gurus.

Is there a way, under win8.1, to make VIP3 autostart with all my carefully selected plugins preloaded and ready to gig without even need to touch the mouse/pc keyboard and look on the screen?

I would need to use some CPU hungry plugins so I'm looking either for a way to switch them on/off with a hardware controller buttons on the fly (if they all need to be loaded at once), or use my hardware controller for browsing through the VIP3 presets/patches each with carefully layered plugins (what's it called multis?). Again, all that without even touching the pc mouse/keyboard (cause I don't plan bringing the pc monitor with me on the gigs).

I will use a third party hardware controller and the manual only says how to operate the Akai Advanced controller.

I tried to start VIP3 with the multi or set file but no luck.
Any wisdom much appreciated.

zzz00m
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:30 pm

You can set a VIP multi to autoload when VIP starts up by right-clicking on the multi name in the list, and select "Set as autoload". Using one multi will limit you to the eight instrument slots in one multi. These slots are easily selected when using the VIP enabled keyboard.

By using VIP setlists, you can create chains of 128 multis, but I don't know how you would select multis within the setlists except for using a VIP enabled keyboard knob, or the PC mouse/keyboard.

As for starting programs when Windows starts up, there is this: https://www.howtogeek.com/208224/how-to ... ndows-8.1/

Not sure I would risk a headless Windows PC for a live performance. Windows sometimes pops up with something you must click away, and that could be a nuisance. So are blue screens of death. That does happen sometimes... As well would a VIP crash.
Last edited by zzz00m on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”