Colour Copy as good as Strymon TIMELINE?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it just me or the new plugin Colour Copy from u-he sound amazing? I just played with it in the last few days and I'm really impress. I own Strymon TIMELINE and to be honest, Overall it's sound as good as TIMELINE.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Cheers

Seriously, I had planned NOT to try this plugin because I have too many delays in my arsenal, but your topic made me change my mind. It seems this one has something special, the words I read about it are simply incredible for what I considered just another delay. I'll try it today.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Not sure how much of it is the usual u-he hype here though.

chk071 wrote:Not sure how much of it is the usual u-he hype though.
This was my main reason for not having only consider to try it yet.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I'm one of those U-He fanboys and I like Colour Copy a lot.

It's certainly not the delay to rule them all, but it does what it does really well. If you are into slowly disintegrating organic delays, I'd definitely give it a shot. It also does other things like choruses, flangers, key tracked delays and other stuff really well, but I think those lovely coloured long feedback delays are its biggest strength.

I posted this a bunch of times already, but oh well.
This is just one instance of ACE through Colour Copy:
https://soundcloud.com/deltasign/colour-copy-test-02

I'd maybe compare it to the excellent Strymon El Capistan instead of the Timeline. The El Capistan is a tape delay emulation (the most lovely sounding one there is, if you ask me), while Colour Copy is a BBD delay emulation, but they are both very good at coloured delays.

My main plugin for this kind of thing has been Übermod for a long time, and that's not going to change (I simply don't have the money to buy Colour Copy, otherwise I certainly would).

As always, don't listen to others (including me), just download the demo and judge by yourself.

Delta Sign wrote:...
Really nice chords. But diffucult to tell how much the delay adds.

But I think you have one point. CC is a BDD delay. When you're looking for tape dub delays is not specially designed for this.

The OP is right, it's an exceptional sounding delay. I had no intention of buying it, but then I started comparing it to my other delays and it just sounds better. The echoes blend in with the source better, and seem to retain their transients better than other delays, and the way they fade away just also sounds fantastic. It wasn't any kind of scientific testing, but I put up some synth chord stabs with a 50% wet, 50% feedback setting in Coco and then compared it with other BBD delays at similar settings. Coco won out each time. Things I checked out were EchoBoy in the Memory Man and DM-2 modes, Dubstation (was my next favorite), Bucket-500 (this one still sounds great on guitar though), and Bloom.

If you haven't checked it out cause you don't need another delay, I suggest running similar tests against what you already have. If it doesn't win out, or you don't notice the difference, then you don't need it.

Delta Sign wrote:I'm one of those U-He fanboys and I like Colour Copy a lot.

It's certainly not the delay to rule them all, but it does what it does really well. If you are into slowly disintegrating organic delays, I'd definitely give it a shot. It also does other things like choruses, flangers, key tracked delays and other stuff really well, but I think those lovely coloured long feedback delays are its biggest strength.

I'd maybe compare it to the excellent Strymon El Capistan instead of the Timeline. The El Capistan is a tape delay emulation (the most lovely sounding one there is, if you ask me), while Colour Copy is a BBD delay emulation, but they are both very good at coloured delays. I definitely think there is room in one’s arsenal for Color Copy, along with whatever other delays they might already own.

My main plugin for this kind of thing has been Übermod for a long time, and that's not going to change (I simply don't have the money to buy Colour Copy, otherwise I certainly would).

As always, don't listen to others (including me), just download the demo and judge by yourself.
Timeline does most of what El Capistan does (tape delay) and a whole lot more. I haven’t actually used a Timeline, but I suspect Color Copy probably sounds a lot closer to that. It certainly doesn’t have much at all in common with El Cap. In fact, U-he already had Satin, which is an actual tape delay emulation, but again, neither really sounds much like El Cap.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:The OP is right, it's an exceptional sounding delay. I had no intention of buying it, but then I started comparing it to my other delays and it just sounds better. The echoes blend in with the source better, and seem to retain their transients better than other delays, and the way they fade away just also sounds fantastic. It wasn't any kind of scientific testing, but I put up some synth chord stabs with a 50% wet, 50% feedback setting in Coco and then compared it with other BBD delays at similar settings. Coco won out each time. Things I checked out were EchoBoy in the Memory Man and DM-2 modes, Dubstation (was my next favorite), Bucket-500 (this one still sounds great on guitar though), and Bloom.

If you haven't checked it out cause you don't need another delay, I suggest running similar tests against what you already have. If it doesn't win out, or you don't notice the difference, then you don't need it.
English is not my first language so it's hard to me to explain like you just did but I have to said that you described it very well.

Some people mention the hype was not there for this plug-in but after I tried it and compared to my Strymon TimeLine, it's a exceptional software. It is really soft and sound amazing. I don't really use my TimeLine as much I should do for the price I paid and few weeks ago I was considering to sell it because I used Soundtoys as well. But Colour Copy released, I don't think I need TimeLine anymore and I will use the money to buy something else.

Unlike many other delays, CC can also be easily used as a "color box" type effect. Set delay time base to .001s, regen to zero, mix to 100% so you get only wet signal but no feedback. Now choose the type of signal coloration from the 5 choices and voilá - simple analog coloration.

Surely it sounds great.

But I already have more delays than I need :help:
Also, is anybody going to notice the difference in a dense mix? Maybe in ambient yes, but not in layered trance lead. :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

It's NOT made for layered trance leads. Made with Dune 2. Sorry. Your expectations are unrealistic. Sorry. This is one device you have to use properly. Go listen to some Zoviet France from the 80's.

Not sure there is much point in me grabbing this given that I have Helix Native from Line 6, an actual Strymon Timeline, Source Audio Nemesis, and Boss DD-500, plus EchoBoy and nummmmeerrroooussss other delays. But I *am* liking what I'm hearing in the demo tracks!
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

I didn't try Colour Copy yet, because I'm afraid my 2011 Mac Mini won't bear it and, honestly, I already have a good amount of delays... but the demo tracks are really good.
Maybe it's a little bit more clean/hifi than my MF-104M (from what I can hear from the laptop speakers), but I should try the demo to have a better opinion... not a bad thing anyway, sometimes I find the hardware has too much character. Plus, this is stereo...

I don't need it, but it's tempting me...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

bbtr wrote:It's NOT made for layered trance leads. Made with Dune 2. Sorry. Your expectations are unrealistic. Sorry. This is one device you have to use properly. Go listen to some Zoviet France from the 80's.
Seriously, wot? :lol:

Return to “Effects”