Pelicanomicon
KVRist
33 posts since 29 Sep, 2015

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:46 am

Synthesizer V
Demo available at https://synthesizerv.com/

Vid from 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW6x6EMACbg
Based on a hybrid of artificial neural networks and concatenative synthesis, Synthesizer V delivers natural voice from a small amount of sampled data. Our patent-pending Low Level Speech Model (LLSM) separately processes vocal folds and vocal tract features, thereby allowing for high-fidelity and flexible manipulation of voice timbre.
Synthesizer V Technical Preview +
Eleanor Forte (English voice) Bundle

This technical preview offers a peek into the next generation synthesizer’s capabilities. On supported platforms, it runs out-of-box without installation. The package also includes a quickstart guide covering the most frequently used features.

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 or above (32/64 bit)
Ubuntu 16.04 or above (64 bit)

Disk Space
300 MB

Kelvin92
KVRist
54 posts since 13 Dec, 2017

Re: Synthesizer V - New voice synthesizer for Windows & Linux

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:22 am

Is this a standalone or also vst?

Pelicanomicon
KVRist
33 posts since 29 Sep, 2015

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:21 am

Kelvin92 wrote:Is this a standalone or also vst?
Standalone only. It allows for importing an instrumental to time the vocal. What is it about this type of syntesis that makes DAW integration so difficult, I wonder?

Comments after a brief tryout:

this will feel familiar to anyone who's dabbled with older versions of Yamaha's VOCALOID.

I like that it's portable, no installation required. Download is tiny!, only 116MB including one female voicebank. They're using a typical anime mascot to promote it, but the voice isn't egregiously, uhh, "anime-sounding." IMO English pronunciation is on par with VOCALOID4 Cyber Diva, but more...musical? Less "talk-singy", which is :tu:

Really lightweight, it renders edits FAST

Doesn't recognize my ASIO device, only options are Windows Audio and DirectSound.

Synthesis parameters are
  • Pitch deviation
    Vibrato envelope
    Loudness
    Tension: = VOCALOID1 Harmonics and VOCALOID5 Exciter, simulates intensity of the vocal
    Breathiness
    Voicing: = VOCALOID2-4 Openness and VOCALOID5 Mouth, simulates openness of the mouth/throat
No Growl analogue.

English phonemes are based on Arpabet coding. No documentation in the guide, you are gonna have to wiki it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPABET

Lyric input feels less elegant than Vocaloid, which smartly distributes syllables of a single word over notes of different pitches and assigns the phonemes. So for example if I'm directly entering lyrics over four notes and type "Daisy [tab] Daisy [tab]", Vocaloid will break this up per note as "[dh eI] [z i:] [dh eI] [z i:]" for me. AFAICT, Synth V won't do this? I have to 2xclick the first note, type "Day", and click off; 2x click the second note, type "zee", click off, etc. --ETA: :dog: watched the promo vid again, you can 2x click successive notes to enter but this is still more cumbersome than Vocaloid's tab to next note.

one pleasant advantage is "Sync-Parameter" mode. With this enabled, you can move selected notes AND their associated parameter envelopes together. Still can't do that in Vocaloid.

All in all it's pretty impressive for a preview, you're basically getting a free Cyber Diva. If nothing else, you can always use it as a modulator for vocoding :)

mevla
KVRAF
1652 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:44 am

This sounds great ! The English voices are great, Japanese quite good also. The Chinese male voice not so good, but the Chinese female voice is much better. And it's also on Linux.

Not sure if this is ready to be used, but this is certainly extremely promising ! Please make it in such a way that it can be easily used in a common DAW.

Don't need no Rolls-Royce.

Your TED talk is also interesting.

Cheers.

NoirSuede
KVRist
47 posts since 20 Jul, 2016 from Tangerang, Indonesia

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:04 pm

wagtunes wrote:So Vocaloid is still the Rolls Royce of vocal synthesis.
so what do you think of this so far?

tbh the most interesting thing so far is how contrasting it is with Emvoice, because while Emvoice is trying to look clean and professional, SynthV is wholly embracing the Vocaloid community that's built up over the years.

wagtunes
KVRAF
13623 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:07 pm

NoirSuede wrote:

tbh the most interesting thing so far is how contrasting it is with Emvoice, because while Emvoice is trying to look clean and professional, SynthV is wholly embracing the Vocaloid community that's built up over the years.
Sonically, I don't think it's as good as Emvoice. Of course given it's not a VST, doesn't matter. Have no desire to even download it.

Someday Vocaloid will be topped or they'll finally get it as right as they can. Either way, that day has not yet come and these two don't even come close.

NoirSuede
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:08 pm

wagtunes wrote:
NoirSuede wrote:

Sonically, I don't think it's as good as Emvoice. Of course given it's not a VST, doesn't matter. Have no desire to even download it.

Someday Vocaloid will be topped or they'll finally get it as right as they can. Either way, that day has not yet come and these two don't even come close.
Have you tried CeVIO yet? they just added English localization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1GL3LFYJas

NoirSuede
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:36 pm

No VST is pretty painful for us producers, but you guys gotta remember that SynthV is built and targeted for the casual Vocaloid users whom only makes covers and doesn't even use a DAW most of the time, so no VST is a non-factor to them.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10681 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:53 pm

NoirSuede wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
NoirSuede wrote:

Blimey :o :tu:

NoirSuede
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:00 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
NoirSuede wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
NoirSuede wrote:

she's pretty neat, isn't she? she's pretty nostalgic to me bc she's the one that got me into music production haha

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10681 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:14 pm

NoirSuede wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
NoirSuede wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
NoirSuede wrote:

she's pretty neat, isn't she? she's pretty nostalgic to me bc she's the one that got me into music production haha
Emvoice already seemed to be a clear improvement on Vocaloid, but this seems to push the envelope even further :tu: The chorus is almost flawless.

NoirSuede
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:19 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Emvoice already seemed to be a clear improvement on Vocaloid, but this seems to push the envelope even further :tu: The chorus is almost flawless.
Ironically the engine itself came out wayy before Emvoice, around 2013-ish:
https://cevio.wikia.com/wiki/Sato_Sasara

ENV1
KVRAF
2363 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:20 pm

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Emvoice already seemed to be a clear improvement on Vocaloid, but this seems to push the envelope even further :tu: The chorus is almost flawless.
Agreed, thats probably the best synthesized female voice ive heard so far.

Real good.

fisherKing
KVRAF
1721 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:29 pm

i know, for myself, i would never use any plugin, no matter how good, to replace a real singer. i want it to be another effect, an 'android' voice, or... some combination of those things.

i can see, tho, for song demos, the benefit of having a 'better' voice...
Last edited by fisherKing on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
always one plugin short of perfection...

Return to “Instruments”