ADSR Doesnt Really Work?

Official English support for: maizesoft.cn
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have been checking out maize sampler with view to create a project,

I have noticed that the Decay and Sustain controls don't actually do anything?

the attack and release work but even with Decay and sustain fully turned off the sound still comes through?

Am i doing something wrong?

P

Can you send me a sample project of yours that shows the problem? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply,

Well you can see what I mean even with the basic player that you get with the free demo,

The controls effect the sound but only in a very minute way,

best,

P

The ADSR works but its effective range seems very narrow. If it would work like a normal ADSR it would be easier to use. As it is, it's usable but kind of confusing.

If you keyswitch, ADSR won't effect the group you keyswitched to it only effects the group that is showing as the current group on the GUI. If you pick the group from the GUI then ADSR will work on that group.

I'm also confused. I do pick the active group via the group select label and when changing attack or release the envelope gets affected. But decay and sustain just do nothing.
electronic music and sounddesign - http://www.marcoscherer.de

Maize Sampler developer told me to set the decay in the sample properties field to 0 to make sure the decay and sustain in the group section are in full effect. You can always contact him directly if you want to know more about Maize Sampler unusual ADSR.

Well, the developer can explain it to me and I may understand, but my users won't. An envelope has to work as expected, no one will read a manual in case it doesn't.

Scherer wrote:Well, the developer can explain it to me and I may understand, but my users won't. An envelope has to work as expected, no one will read a manual in case it doesn't.
You can always make the sounds so good that your users won't be tempted to modify them with the ADSR! It would be perfection right out of the box. :wink:

Seriously thought, if you have enough customers you can always go with the premium route: Kontakt Player compatibility or UVI Engine instruments. It cost money but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Maize is still good for simple drum machines and multiple sound layer instruments.

Well, an ADSR envelope shouldn't be the reason to change the whole development environment. It's such a basic thing and works similar in all synths and samplers, except Maize.

Besides that Kontakt and UVI do not create plugins. That's such a big plus for Maize, which makes it even more unbelievable that the developer doesn't push it more and makes it more comfortable.

Scherer wrote:Well, an ADSR envelope shouldn't be the reason to change the whole development environment. It's such a basic thing and works similar in all synths and samplers, except Maize.
The simple ADSR you find at the top of Reason NN-XT sampler works like Maize Sampler ADSR. There's also some Kontakt instruments who have this bizarre ADSR type. But I agree, I would prefer a standard ADSR, it would make things much more easier. Also, I'd like to be able to input values for Knobs/Sliders. This way, my instruments would be more precise.
Scherer wrote:Besides that Kontakt and UVI do not create plugins.
I know, but when you sell something, what's important is what it mean to your customer, not really what it technically is. A Kontakt Player/UVI Engine instrument is multi-OS + multi-plugin format compatible with pretty much any DAWs, including Pro Tools. This is something you don't get with Maize. Also, NI and UVI manage compatibility issues themselves, so you can concentrate on making cool instruments without having to worry about compatibility issues.

That being said, I love Maize and wish it would evolve more rapidly. I search the net on a regular basis to find an alternative but nothing so far yet, except maybe Hise:

http://hise.audio/

It's pretty good, but much more time intensive than Maize. You can use it for free.

I tried HISE and it works well (it's awesome that it's a freeware sampler), but it's veeeery complex and not 100% stable yet. Plus you have to pay licenses when selling instruments and you have to pay for a JUCE license. And as far I know the developer creates the plugin installers for you. So it's not as easy as Maize.

Scherer wrote:I tried HISE and it works well (it's awesome that it's a freeware sampler), but it's veeeery complex and not 100% stable yet. Plus you have to pay licenses when selling instruments and you have to pay for a JUCE license. And as far I know the developer creates the plugin installers for you. So it's not as easy as Maize.
I just came across this, a year too late maybe, but someone else might come across it too. HISE isn't any more complex than Kontakt, it's just different and it has a different paradigm than Kontakt which seems complex at first to anyone familiar with a Kontakt like sampler (it seemed complex to me at first too). The only thing that is more complex is you need to setup a compiler in order to export VSTs from HISE (but you can't do that in Kontakt anyway although I recall Maize made this very easy).

You don't need to pay for a license to sell instruments. You only need to pay for a license if you wish to sell closed source instruments. You'd have to pay for a JUCE license too if you're earning over a certain amount from your instruments.

The developer can create the installers for you (he might charge for this) but there is nothing preventing you from creating your own installer and you don't even need an installer, you can just put the VSTi (exported from HISE) in a zip file along with the samples and give it to your user.

Return to “Maizesoft”