Programming: Does having a hardware background help, hinder, or have any effect at all?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Being older, I come from a hardware synth background. Many younger people have probably only worked with soft synths.

I feel extremely comfortable grabbing a soft emulation of....say.... a Juno/Jupiter or Minimoog, because I worked with the hardware versions so long and know how to get what I want out of them, without thinking too much.

That being said, some soft synths, especially ones not based on the traditional subtractive model, seem a bit cumbersome with workflow.

Is this a valid complaint or placebo?

It surely helps i would say. The thing is, many of the soft synths feature monsters won't fit all parameters on one page, so, obviously, you can't expect the same direct access you have on a hardware or software synth with only a few parameters. If that is the issue.

Sorry, what does any of that have to do with programming?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

stvrsz wrote:Being older, I come from a hardware synth background. Many younger people have probably only worked with soft synths.

I feel extremely comfortable grabbing a soft emulation of....say.... a Juno/Jupiter or Minimoog, because I worked with the hardware versions so long and know how to get what I want out of them, without thinking too much.

That being said, some soft synths, especially ones not based on the traditional subtractive model, seem a bit cumbersome with workflow.

Is this a valid complaint or placebo?
I'd say it's a valid observation. Some soft synths can do stuff that none of the classic hardware could do. A super deep feature set means workflow is not going to be as immediate.

Makes you appreciate what is possible and whinge less. What do you mean, it takes 30 seconds to add an FX unit? Only 8 compressors possible per channel?!
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

deastman wrote:Sorry, what does any of that have to do with programming?
Meaning I can program more quickly when I am using something that is modeled after what I have actually owned as hardware.

stvrsz wrote:
Meaning I can program more quickly when I am using something that is modeled after what I have actually owned as hardware.
well isnt it common sense youd find something familiar easier to get to grips with?

vurt wrote:
stvrsz wrote:
well isnt it common sense youd find something familiar easier to get to grips with?
I was speaking as to the translation to the machine world: the interface, using a mouse, variations in the software from the hardware and such.

Which raises another question. What software developers actually model from a hardware piece? u-he does. Massive is really easy to use, but doesn't have a direct hardware model.

Is it easier to program a sound with a trackball(Gary Numan), mouse, track pad or other input device?

you ask a lot of questions.
are you a data-bot sent by the ai to mine useless information from synth nerds?

vurt wrote:you ask a lot of questions.
So much stuff has happened in my lifetime I am just trying to figure it all out. I try and wrap my head around why some synths are easy to use(Spire) and some are strange(Zebralette, ZebraCM, Sytrus) and don't make much sense. I guess if you deem that useless, then it is what it is. I like to see how other people feel about synthesis and where it is going. Imogen Heap uses electronic gloves as controllers for her music for example. Madrona Labs creates beautiful wooden controllers and makes synths that are incredibly unique. I don't know if I am necessarily a "synth nerd." I would term myself "synth obsessed." I don't know what makes devs create VA replicas that cost as much to run as going out and buying an actual DSI Prophet Six. I don't know why synths have to sound analogue or digital. I don't know why we have to make another iteration of the supersaw for the umpteenth time.

stvrsz wrote:I don't know why we have to make another iteration of the supersaw for the umpteenth time.
Agreed. The car was invented in 1885. Why we need new ones is beyond me.

stvrsz wrote:
vurt wrote:you ask a lot of questions.
So much stuff has happened in my lifetime I am just trying to figure it all out. I try and wrap my head around why some synths are easy to use(Spire) and some are strange(Zebralette, ZebraCM, Sytrus) and don't make much sense. I guess if you deem that useless, then it is what it is. I like to see how other people feel about synthesis and where it is going. Imogen Heap uses electronic gloves as controllers for her music for example. Madrona Labs creates beautiful wooden controllers and makes synths that are incredibly unique. I don't know if I am necessarily a "synth nerd." I would term myself "synth obsessed." I don't know what makes devs create VA replicas that cost as much to run as going out and buying an actual DSI Prophet Six. I don't know why synths have to sound analogue or digital. I don't know why we have to make another iteration of the supersaw for the umpteenth time.

was just asking dude, cant be too careful these days :scared:
the ai is everywhere :o

Mushy Mushy wrote:
stvrsz wrote:I don't know why we have to make another iteration of the supersaw for the umpteenth time.
How is a car similar to a waveform?
Can we devote 125 years of development to a better supersaw experience?
The master had a stab at it and inexplicably left off a PWM and forgot the warm boost that Reveal Sound figured out after a couple of updates. To hear the selfsame synth from a company devoted entirely to painstakingly recreating analog technology down to the original voltages used in circuits, have one of their new products described as "digital sounding" is strange indeed.

What a strange world.

stvrsz wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
How is a car similar to a waveform?
Can we devote 125 years of development to a better supersaw experience?
The master had a stab at it and inexplicably left off a PWM and forgot the warm boost that Reveal Sound figured out after a couple of updates. To hear the selfsame synth from a company devoted entirely to painstakingly recreating analog technology down to the original voltages used in circuits, have one of their new products described as "digital sounding" is strange indeed.

What a strange world.
People have different views on how it should sound so develop it further. Who cares anyway? Use the one you prefer the sound of.

stvrsz wrote: How is a car similar to a waveform?
when is a raven like a writing desk? :ud:

Return to “Instruments”