Syntronik Deluxe available now - 5 new synths added

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syntronik 1

SJ_Digriz wrote:so, there was a sale and I decided to get Syntronik. A couple of things I'm confused about.

It seems pan is backwards on all the instruments. Has anyone reported that?
And, I don't seem to be able to select a oscillator waveform. I am only getting the waveform that is loaded with the patch. For example if I load a OBXa patch and click one of the waveform buttons, nothing happens. Shouldn't the clicked on waveform load?

the pan works properly, I just checked it.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:so, there was a sale and I decided to get Syntronik. A couple of things I'm confused about.

It seems pan is backwards on all the instruments. Has anyone reported that?
And, I don't seem to be able to select a oscillator waveform. I am only getting the waveform that is loaded with the patch. For example if I load a OBXa patch and click one of the waveform buttons, nothing happens. Shouldn't the clicked on waveform load?

the pan works properly, I just checked it.
Odd, its backwards for me .. what about loading waveforms?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

So, that system uses samples for oscillators and models for filters?
Do you have all those synths including the CS80? :o
Why not develop a model for analog oscillators? Would probably be faster and less tedious to adopt the algorithm to different synths than to sample so much content.
Not to mention download issues on the customer's side.

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, that system uses samples for oscillators and models for filters?
Why not develop a model for analog oscillators? Would probably be faster and less tedious to adopt the algorithm to different synths than to sample so much content.
Not to mention download issues on the customer's side.
And go Arturia?

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, that system uses samples for oscillators and models for filters?
Why not develop a model for analog oscillators? Would probably be faster and less tedious to adopt the
I'm not questioning the product. There are plenty of software solutions to the space. There are lots of sample solutions. And this fits in the hybrid area. I'm ok with that.

I'm just asking those that have the product if I'm "doing it wrong"...

So again, go to the OBXa and load a patch. Now push any of the waveform buttons like from sine to triangle or saw. For me the waveform does not change.

They are for the LFO - have a look at 4.4.1 in the User Manual.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:They are for the LFO - have a look at 4.4.1 in the User Manual.
ah, I see. I was looking at the Modulation section of the OBXa. I find it odd that I can't select the wave type. It seems the various presets are using different waveforms of a given synths OSC. So, unless something else is going on they do have the samples of different oscillator waveforms. Is that not the case?

SJ_Digriz wrote:push any of the waveform buttons like from sine to triangle or saw. For me the waveform does not change.
As DarkStar said and as you know by now, those waveforms are just LFO ones for Pan, Pitch and Filter modulation.

But I get your issue with Syntronik, which is mine also and easily explains why I'm not upgrading to Deluxe: There's no obvious way to go through the (original, sampled) OSC waveshapes of each instrument.

We're stuck with whatever the sound designer thought to be an interesting one to use for that preset and that's about it. All we can then change is 1 Filter type/model and Filter & Amp AHDSR envelopes + 1 LFO for modulation across all available "instruments".

No matter if the original had more than 1 filter, more than 2 OSCs, more than 1 LFO, etc.

I'm sure Syntronik might be extremely interesting for many that feel comfortable with the available presets, just looking for slight filter or modulation tweaks and be happy with that.

Not that useful or interesting if you're trying to understand the peculiarities of the original instruments, because you're at the mercy of the sampling & preset design teams as to what they considered as the best representation of each of the original instruments.

I felt the same when getting UVI's Vintage Vault, though in their case, I'm at least able to deconstruct or/and access the sample sets used through Falcon.
Also, they did provide Waveshape/Sampleset choices on some like the CS-M, Synthox, Vector or the one based around the Minimoog where they actually did provide 3 OSCs each with the (Sampled) waveshapes, which should be how all of these should be presented, IMHO.

So, I keep using emulations like u-he's, Arturia's, AAS, GForce, Korg, TAL, etc while keeping Syntronik and UVI's Vintage Vault as "inspirational references" (at least that's the excuse I keep telling me to justify keeping them) ...but, it's still hard for me to pay extra to upgrade to Syntronik Deluxe or Vintage Vault 2 while feeling like this about these products :/

@IK Multimedia: Sorry to post on this thread what might be considered as a bash/rant but please don't take it that way, since it's just 1 user's personal opinion, obviously.
Hopefully, you'll take it as yet another "customer feedback" to improve future iterations of the product :)
Last edited by Koshdukai on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

koshdukai wrote: @IK Multimedia: Sorry to post on this thread what might be considered as a bash/rant but please don't take it that way, since it's just 1 user's personal opinion, obviously.
Hopefully, you'll take it as yet another "customer feedback" to improve future iterations of the product :)
It's interesting in that the presets sound pretty good. I don't necessarily have an issue with that. It just seems odd that they went to all the trouble to sample 9 gazillion OSC, and for some reason not provide a drop down to select them. At a minimum it could be a simple list of combinations. But, it's goofy not to be able to do OSC 3 monkey business with a mini ... etc...

I'm not sure I'd take your comments as a bash/rant. It's just an honest statement of how the architecture works. That's fine by me and I doubt IK would be offended. I'm just trying to learn the thing and my brain couldn't accept the cognitive discontinuity. :D

SJ_Digriz wrote: I'm not sure I'd take your comments as a bash/rant. It's just an honest statement of how the architecture works. That's fine by me and I doubt IK would be offended.
I hope that too.

SJ_Digriz wrote: I'm just trying to learn the thing and my brain couldn't accept the cognitive discontinuity. :D
Yup, I totally get how you feel on it.

SJ_Digriz, shoot me a PM when you can and I'll walk you through some of the synths in Syntronik if you have any specific questions. When you can, also be sure to check out the videos section of the Syntronik product page for a walk-through/tutorial series of the different offered features/sounds. These should help you figure out how the different sections work together for each synth and why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN5cra9 ... e=youtu.be

koshdukai, no need to apologize we appreciate your feedback.

For those with concerns/questions on why we decided to use a hybrid engine with Syntronik. We do want to say we do appreciate the feedback here and we do understand either method could certainly be done. Our choice for this method was based on capturing the actual sound of the iconic synths in their most musical state and we found this method to accomplish this more realistically. Of course these sounds could be recreated with a modeled oscillator as you guys mention, but others like exmatproton mentions, have done this before. Now, since we do have extensive knowledge in sampling technology and how well it works with extensive round robin articulations. We decided to couple this with not only our analog modeled filters, but also our newly designed DRIFT technology. This allows us to reproduce the living, breathing, organic quality of analog synthesizers and not just play back layers and layers of samples from them. Once we tried this out, we saw a new life come to our sounds and we felt we had to purse this. We've found many to also like the outcome as well :)
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Ryan_IK wrote:SJ_Digriz, shoot me a PM when you can and I'll walk you through some of the synths in Syntronik if you have any specific questions. When you can, also be sure to check out the videos section of the Syntronik product page for a walk-through/tutorial series of the different offered features/sounds. These should help you figure out how the different sections work together for each synth and why.
Thanks for offer. Clearing up the OSC issue fixed my problems at least from an architecture standpoint. I was just battering my head looking for oscillator choices so I could make my own patches.
For those with concerns/questions on why we decided to use a hybrid engine with Syntronik. We do want to say we do appreciate the feedback here and we do understand either method could certainly be done...
I have no concern with the hybrid approach. I think the disconnect is that I am hardwired to start patch development with oscillator choice. So, once I figured out how Syntronik was put together as a plugin/sound generator, I went back and tried to create a preset of my own .. and of course hit a mental wall.

So really the only comment would be someone somewhere starts each patch/preset with a set of oscillator samples. It would be cool if there was an option to have a choice of those configurations so that we could develop our own from scratch. So for example, 2 Osc 5ths. You have a sample set of those somewhere because they are in a preset. Whatever voodoo on the backend can still remain. Just expose that as 2 Osc 5ths saw/pwm 45 .. or something like that. Obviously 10000 times easier to say than do I'm sure.

I wasn't complaining so much as I thought I was missing something obvious LOL.

Just a note that anybody interested in a deal on Syntronik Deluxe (including the upgrade) for 50% off, that promotion runs only through tomorrow

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:36 pm
tedannemann wrote:Is DAW automation without using a midi controller already possible yet?
At this time you'll need to use MIDI control for DAW automation in Syntronik Deluxe.
It's been a while. When will DAW based automation be possible without this cumbersome 90s way of MIDI learn?

Currently, we do not have any news on the topic of DAW specific automation (or "Track Automation") control for Syntronik. While using MIDI you can fully automate Syntronik in your DAW or in standalone. If you wish to control your Syntronik sounds via DAW specific automation and without MIDI, you can use SampleTank 3 CS. This is a free download in your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/) that can load all Syntronik sounds. I'll be sure to pass along your comments and interest in the meantime.

Note - Just install SampleTank 3 CS and your sound content should be 'seen' automatically.

Hope this helps!
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Return to “Instruments”