Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Debutante
KVRAF
2994 posts since 16 Jan, 2005 from Ottawa, Ontario

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Is it just me...or did plugin sales become extremely aggressive and cheap? I've bought more plugins in the last summer than I have all together. What funky deflation is this? Some of the deals going have been nuts this. I can't wait for Christmas

User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
2545 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Debutante wrote:Is it just me...or did plugin sales become extremely aggressive and cheap? I've bought more plugins in the last summer than I have all together. What funky deflation is this? Some of the deals going have been nuts this. I can't wait for Christmas
Same impression here. Think the market is overcrowded with sellers and developers.The second market is flooded. OTH the buyers have mostly what they need and become more and more reluctant to throw money onto the next emulation of a 60s compressor or a redundant super synth. IMO we see a clearance of the market where only the big and good developers will survive.

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

machinesworking
KVRian
1335 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Kurdish Mayfield wrote: Maschine has been able to "use the pads on the controller to write (midi) notes directly to your daw" since it came out in 2009. The update from 1.8 to 2.0 made it harder but still possible. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you
I can't tell if you're misunderstanding me, because I've never had any luck writing MIDI notes into any track in a DAW directly using Maschines hardware pads. Maschine on my system does not report MIDI out of Maschine, unless using Controller Editor and then of course it works, but mostly only because the DAW and Maschine both recognize Controller Editor as a MIDI source.

machinesworking
KVRian
1335 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 am

martinjuenke wrote: Same impression here. Think the market is overcrowded with sellers and developers.The second market is flooded. OTH the buyers have mostly what they need and become more and more reluctant to throw money onto the next emulation of a 60s compressor or a redundant super synth. IMO we see a clearance of the market where only the big and good developers will survive.
How about we keep a crowded market with dozens of choices at reasonable price points? :)

dzilizzi
KVRian
964 posts since 21 Sep, 2013 from California

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:08 am

martinjuenke wrote:
Debutante wrote:Is it just me...or did plugin sales become extremely aggressive and cheap? I've bought more plugins in the last summer than I have all together. What funky deflation is this? Some of the deals going have been nuts this. I can't wait for Christmas
Same impression here. Think the market is overcrowded with sellers and developers.The second market is flooded. OTH the buyers have mostly what they need and become more and more reluctant to throw money onto the next emulation of a 60s compressor or a redundant super synth. IMO we see a clearance of the market where only the big and good developers will survive.
I've also noticed that some of these really great sales are on products that are older. They may have run out of people who will spend money on their products. And their stuff doesn't get the talk that it used to, so a sale reminds people how good their stuff is.

But it is great for us buyers, with the caveat that we do spend a lot more money than maybe we should. I mean, how many equalizers does one really need? And after that last OT Group buy, I sure don't need any more guitars. Or pianos for that matter.... (wait, did someone say there was a new piano on sale?? :hyper: !!! :hyper: ??)

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
10230 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:58 am

What am I missing here?
https://www.bol.com/nl/s/algemeen/zoekr ... &view=list

512GB for 60EUR?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

machinesworking
KVRian
1335 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:What am I missing here?
https://www.bol.com/nl/s/algemeen/zoekr ... &view=list

512GB for 60EUR?
Probably that it's a micro SD and really slow. It's a good price if you have a need for a micro SD though.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
10230 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 am

machinesworking wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:What am I missing here?
https://www.bol.com/nl/s/algemeen/zoekr ... &view=list

512GB for 60EUR?
Probably that it's a micro SD and really slow. It's a good price if you have a need for a micro SD though.
It's micro SD that I'm after and only to store media for a cheap tablet. I wonder if it's fast enough to stream video (only SD). That can't be too strenuous can it? Worth a shot?

It's class 10 which appears to be at the upper end of the SD video range so suits me perfectly. Yay!
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Kurdish Mayfield
KVRist
82 posts since 9 Mar, 2011

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 am

machinesworking wrote:
Kurdish Mayfield wrote: Maschine has been able to "use the pads on the controller to write (midi) notes directly to your daw" since it came out in 2009. The update from 1.8 to 2.0 made it harder but still possible. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you
I can't tell if you're misunderstanding me, because I've never had any luck writing MIDI notes into any track in a DAW directly using Maschines hardware pads. Maschine on my system does not report MIDI out of Maschine, unless using Controller Editor and then of course it works, but mostly only because the DAW and Maschine both recognize Controller Editor as a MIDI source.
Are you "machinesworkinghardforyou" at NI Forum? If so you just got your answer. If not go there and read a latest post from moderator D One. This has been possible since 2009, no Controller Editor needed

machinesworking
KVRian
1335 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Kurdish Mayfield wrote: Are you "machinesworkinghardforyou" at NI Forum? If so you just got your answer. If not go there and read a latest post from moderator D One. This has been possible since 2009, no Controller Editor needed
Same, and there you go, like I posted in that thread when attempting this I made the basic and critical mistake of not noticing that the pads start at C3! doh!

Still curious about the MPC, my main gripe with Maschine remains, no variable time signatures in the sequencer timeline, and MIDI/program change messages have serious issues with dropping beats if you write varying time signatures in your DAW, even if you sequence each section time signature wise. I've gone over it with tech support for months, sent them a file etc. Beyond that one issue though, Maschine is a beast! :)

meldavid
KVRist
230 posts since 5 Jul, 2002 from Sydney

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:02 pm

Okay, Sonarworks Headphone Reference Edition will give me an upgrade path to Studio edition should I want to also calibrate my monitors, but apart from that, convince me why I need Headphone Edition over True-Fi?

If your headphones aren't accurate then wouldn't you want to run the calibrated profile all the time?

User avatar
mgw38
KVRian
1177 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:03 pm

meldavid wrote:Okay, Sonarworks Headphone Reference Edition will give me an upgrade path to Studio edition should I want to also calibrate my monitors, but apart from that, convince me why I need Headphone Edition over True-Fi?

If your headphones aren't accurate then wouldn't you want to run the calibrated profile all the time?
Reference comes with Systemwide which essentially does the same thing Tru-Fi does in a slightly more configurable package. The differences are not particularly massive. Reference gives you more options to fine tune, the ability to use it as a plugin (that's the way I use it) and the possibility to upgrade to the speaker calibration package (which is absolutely amazing, btw). Tru-Fi is consumer level whereas Reference targets professionals. I read somewhere that they are planning to release Tru-Fi for mobile devices. It will be interesting to see if Systemwide will go mobile as well.

The Sonarworks software is brilliant. The only issue is that if you switch between headphones and monitors a lot (which I tend to do in the mixing phase of production) you always need to remember to switch the profile as well. And that is where having that "switch" within the DAW through the Reference plugin suited my workflow better. For some reason I always forgot to switch profiles when I used Systemwide. But that is probably a very personal thing. Other people might not have any issues with that at all.

I am not a big fan of the Sonarworks license activation system. You cannot deactivate a license, so if you run out of activations you have to contact their support to give you a new license code. I hate that.

yellowmix
KVRian
784 posts since 11 Aug, 2012

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:14 pm

mgw38 wrote:I am not a big fan of the Sonarworks license activation system. You cannot deactivate a license, so if you run out of activations you have to contact their support to give you a new license code. I hate that.
You can deactivate licenses now via their "My Sonarworks" portal. This was announced to the beta community a few hours ago.

TheKid
KVRian
783 posts since 13 Aug, 2012 from it's all about location!

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi UncleE,

any chance that JRRshop will jump on the IMSTA Fest deals from Audiodeluxe? I always try to buy at your store first. <3 I'm sure you can figure something out (especially the Studio One 4 upgrade and IK Mesa Boogie deal is an instant purchase for me).

axb312
KVRist
173 posts since 25 Aug, 2017

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:20 am

Upgrade from Studio one Pro 3.5 to 4 is now 100 USD at Audiodeluxe.....Wait for black Friday for a better deal?

Also, what are the differences between the regular and HD versions of Sonnox plugins? Is the Sonnox inflator machine authorizable?

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”