Opinion on Dimitry Sches Diversion

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
chk071
KVRAF
17657 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:14 am

Delta Sign wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:12 am
I'm surprised people didn't like the presets. Dmitry is an amazingly creative sound designer.
I agree. His stuff is great.

recursive one
KVRAF
3764 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Opinion on Dimitry Sches Diversion

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:55 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:14 am
Delta Sign wrote:
I'm surprised people didn't like the presets. Dmitry is an amazingly creative sound designer.
I agree that Dmitry's own presets are very unusual and creative but I see why they may not appeal to people looking for bread and butter synth stuff. Also he seems to have preference to very harsh, almost ear-piercing sounds (this is even more apparent with Thorn factory presets). Actually when I tried Diversion for the first time I also decided that it sounds "harsh and digital in a bad way". Only when I started to proram my own patches I realized how good it can actually sound (No way I'd think that I'm better sound designer than Dmitry, I just prefer a bit different sound character)
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

Razzia
KVRist
141 posts since 21 May, 2016

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:52 am

recursive one wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:44 am
Razzia wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:47 pm
recursive one wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:36 am
IMO, it would be stupid not to buy it for 49 bucks
Read this comment and had my self a bit of a GAS episode. Sent my paypal info before I knew what happened, lol.
I'm sorry :shrug:
No, I owe you my thanks! I hadn't bought a new synth in a long time and this is a fantastic purchase.

It's funny, I remember looking over the controls on the interface of Diversion and thinking, "Looks like a regular synth. Pass." There are so many goodies hidden in little context menus and pop ups in this puppy. It's practically as deep as Avenger.

chk071
KVRAF
17657 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:14 am

recursive one wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:55 am
chk071 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:14 am
Delta Sign wrote:
I agree that Dmitry's own presets are very unusual and creative but I see why they may not appeal to people looking for bread and butter synth stuff. Also he seems to have preference to very harsh, almost ear-piercing sounds (this is even more apparent with Thorn factory presets). Actually when I tried Diversion for the first time I also decided that it sounds "harsh and digital in a bad way". Only when I started to proram my own patches I realized how good it can actually sound (No way I'd think that I'm better sound designer than Dmitry, I just prefer a bit different sound character)
The thing i liked about his presets is that it's actually stuff i'd use in music. Which is rare with factory presets. :hihi:

anomandaris1
KVRist
271 posts since 26 Nov, 2009

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 am

I've liked it, but it killed my CPU... so I had to pass back then...

teilo
KVRist
178 posts since 30 Mar, 2008

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Has anyone tried to install Diversion on macOS Mojave? It crashes every time I try to authorize it with my serial.
macOS | Ableton 10 | Bitwig 2.x | Reason 10
MPK249 | Scarlett 6i6 v2 | DX7 w/SER-7 | Adam Audio T7V & Sub8
U-he all | DSAudio all | All TAL synths | Komplete Ult. 11 | Serum | DUNE 2 | Arturia V 6 | Fabfilter Pro all | countless others

acYm
KVRian
789 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:34 pm

well now, let's see. last synth I got was predator 2, on oct 27 last year. hmm. I was supposed to "not buy any synths for a year", having gotten way too many new ones in a short time before that.

50 bucks for Diversion? looks like I'm gonna be two weeks short.

I'm liking the demo a lot, the Kore template is epic, and my new 8086k eats it for breakfast.

Bodhisan
KVRist
475 posts since 7 Aug, 2015 from H2O

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:02 am

It's very possible there is a glitch with the unison as it pertains to cpu. When I put the unison at 4 and detune, it sounds quite lush. Anything higher, and the cpu starts to spike (and to my ears, doesn't even sound much different at all - users should experiment with that). Too, incorporating one or three more of the osces, detuning and panning gives more than enough for "unison" - without the cpu spike. Just an easy workaround for those who avoid Diversion simply because of the high cpu hit using "unison" when wanting lush pads.

Rarely do users talk about the pretty handy and unique feature of manipulating a wav via all the means Sches gives you (check out the wavetable editor) - then recording it and throwing it back into an osc for further manipulation, including granular variables. You could spend all day just futzing around with that. Plus loading samples then manipulating...and the ability to use the two bus filters on down the line has given me way more than I was expecting...

But the cpu with unison - try the suggestions, and I think you'll see cpu is not an issue. But if you're still not happy with the lush pads in Diversion due to cpu, then use something else for that dime-a-dozen sound and capability. You've already got a synth that can do that - use Diversion for it's uniqueness (even though it can do "bread and butter" easily and handily).

Examigan
KVRAF
4454 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 am

recursive one wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:43 am
AdvancedFollower wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 am
Bought it when it came out, but I've never used it much. Found the GUI cluttered, the sound thin, harsh and digital in a bad way and the presets utterly lacking. I should probably spend more time with it since it appears I might have misjudged it.
Probably yes, the factory presets don't really do it justice, you may download the free Collaboration bank, which is better than the factory stuff imo.

https://dmitrysches.com/sounds/sounds-freeware

https://soundcloud.com/dmitry-sches/sets/collaboration
+1 :)

SynthRatings
KVRer
15 posts since 18 Sep, 2018

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Here's a (longish) video with my opinions of Diversion:

https://youtu.be/xDEMPLsqdxE

It's a little bit rushed, wanted to get it out before the sale is over so you have some more input on whether to pick it up or not while it's hot 8)
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0DfGT ... 66f8an--sg

surreal
KVRian
1038 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks every one for your input...

Ranoka
KVRist
132 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from The UK

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:47 pm

SynthRatings, thanks for the video. Started watching, definitely the sort of channel I'd like to watch during my commute :D

The 'wavetable' feature was really confusing me, I was trying to find how to adjust the Position/Index in the Wavetable - but after reading the manual, watching videos and re-reading the description on the website I realise that it's only one single single-cycle waveform. But in some ways they're less interesting than the build in waveforms because they can't be morphed with the x/y control. The controls in the Custom Wave Editor (better name) are really interesting, shame they can't be modulated in real-time (or even baked into a Serum style 'multi-cycle' wavetable).

I realise some of the design was restricted because it came out in 2012, really curious what DS has in store for us with Diversion 2! :D

Examigan
KVRAF
4454 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:18 pm

Here are some of the presets I made for it:

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/diversion-presets

escalona
KVRist
161 posts since 16 Jan, 2018 from Portland, OR USA

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Well, I just bought it after reading this thread and installing the demo, and just in case it helps anyone: it sounds so good, truly I have no complaints about the presets (I think they all sound really good, but I'm a guitar player mostly; just a neophyte regarding synths). The possibilities for this thing are mind numbing. You can mangle a sound in so many ways.
Another issue I read here is the CPU usage. To be honest, I was scared about this, but the truth is that it takes about 10% for one instance on Studio One 4 in my ancient 2010 Windows 7 PC build. It's still more than most of my plugins (except Acustica clearly) but it is not as bad as I thought it would be. For $49 right now I think this is a no-brainer (if you need a good synth as I do).
Thanks all for your perspectives. Cheers!

evilantal
KVRian
830 posts since 13 Mar, 2008 from Arnhem, Netherlands

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:16 am

Still on the fence about this one.
I might stick with Zebra and Omnisphere, but the prospect of a Diversion 2 coming is really tempting...
Demo work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com
Music for media: http://www.myendlessy.com

Return to “Instruments”