PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

fmr wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:22 pm It kind of works, but it's not the same thing, and we loose an oscillator in the process.
No problem in software.
Just set the number of voices higher, or spawn a 2nd instance and stack.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:05 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:52 am pulse width modulation is possible with some trickery
-Set both osc's to square , and same tuning
-only osc 2 is enabled in mixer
-enable first sync mode
-set pitch envelope for second osc to 5
-set pitch envelope to invert mode
-PLay with pitch envelope attack/decay stage

Voila ..true pulse width
Not sure I understand why the pitch envelope is necessary for that. The envelope execution in such simple synths is a single iteration.
So, what exactly is happening based on the above instruction?
Second oscillator is synced to first oscillator. When the second oscillator changes tune (controlled by the pitch envelope), instead of tune drifting (will not happen because it is sync'd the first oscillator), that will cause a kind of phase modulation (which will sound similar to PWM because we have square waves here).

At least that's how I understand it. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:05 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:52 am pulse width modulation is possible with some trickery
-Set both osc's to square , and same tuning
-only osc 2 is enabled in mixer
-enable first sync mode
-set pitch envelope for second osc to 5
-set pitch envelope to invert mode
-PLay with pitch envelope attack/decay stage

Voila ..true pulse width
Not sure I understand why the pitch envelope is necessary for that. The envelope execution in such simple synths is a single iteration.
So, what exactly is happening based on the above instruction?
Well , if you have 2 square osc, same pitch , osc2 slaved to ossc 1
Both waveforms have the same duty cycle , both have the same +/- dc component >
If you raise the pitch of the slaved osc. it's duty cycle will beome shorter but the pitch is still determied by osc 1 ,iow :typical sync sound
But if you slightly lower the pitch of osc2 ( slaved one ) it will have a longer duty cycle , the dc component of the slaved square wave is longer , but still being reset buy osc 1
Result is a pulse wave
If the pitch of slaved osc 2 is too low , you will only hear that positive dc component while still being reset by osc 1 , result will be silence .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 am Free synth. Discontinued. LOL. :D
I get that free synths aren't exactly money-makers for the developers and that they're eventually discontinued. :wink: I just didn't see anything from Martin on this so far this year, so I didn't know if he'd really stopped developing it. Of course, I can understand if he has, and I wouldn't ask him to fix the problem if the synth really is discontinued.

I was also wondering if anyone else had noticed this issue. It's very easy to reproduce: just turn on the portamento in a patch, save the project, close and re-open it, and open the plug-in. It will still show that portamento is on (including wherever you set the time slider), even though it isn't now. And turning it back off and on doesn't solve the problem. Even re-loading the patch doesn't solve the problem. But if you mess with the portamento settings long enough and keep hitting keys, you can get it to alter the tuning even after you release the keys. It may then work for a few keystrokes, but then it's off again.

If the synth is discontinued, that's fine, and I get it. But has anyone else had this problem?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Ive never used portamento on pg8x so cant help you sorry. But I can try and see if I have the same problem. I'll get back to you.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:30 pm Ive never used portamento on pg8x so cant help you sorry. But I can try and see if I have the same problem. I'll get back to you.
Thanks. I never used it before, either. But after a friend told me about the issue, I tried to see if it would happen on my system. Sure enough, it did. And we were using different DAWs and different versions of Windows.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:14 am
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:30 pm Ive never used portamento on pg8x so cant help you sorry. But I can try and see if I have the same problem. I'll get back to you.
Thanks. I never used it before, either. But after a friend told me about the issue, I tried to see if it would happen on my system. Sure enough, it did. And we were using different DAWs and different versions of Windows.

Steve
It happens on my end aswell, so def a bug.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 am

Steve
That's what I thought. Thanks for taking the time to try it.

Steve

planetearth wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:46 am
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 am

Steve
That's what I thought. Thanks for taking the time to try it.

Steve
No problem :)

i realy love the skin of this synth :)

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Can I ask you all a question, today I purchased your Espen Kraft - Roland JX-8P / PG-8X - 32 Retro Synthwave Presets, I use the PG-8x but I am unable to load them. I copied the folder that comes in the zip file and nothing, I then copied the patches into the main PG-8X which is in the mail Steinberg VST folder, PG-8X can only see the default presets. Do you have any idea how to make PG-8X see all presets? I even tried load button under "program" but it's not seeing them. Picture is for attention: https://i.postimg.cc/LSvbnvvw/pg.png (https://i.postimg.cc/LSvbnvvw/pg.png)
Synth version on website is PG-8X_2.0.13_Win64 while when I open the plug in it says it's 1.0.0.0

Cubase 9.5 Pro on windows 10

I think you can put the presets folder anywhere you want.
Then you click on Load in the PG8X and go to that folder wherever you put it. It will remember the location the next time.

Please delete my thread, I made a mistake, put the wrong patch. :oops: I need to really sort my master patch folder. :oops: :dog:

Is there such thing as an editor that can convert single .syx patches into one .PG8Xbank bank file? I tried to follow instructions but am quite lost at how to do this inside the synth. I loaded the first patch and saved it as .PG8Xbank but would like to add rest of them into this bank.

darkprojekt wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:54 pm Can I ask you all a question, today I purchased your Espen Kraft - Roland JX-8P / PG-8X - 32 Retro Synthwave Presets, I use the PG-8x but I am unable to load them. I copied the folder that comes in the zip file and nothing, I then copied the patches into the main PG-8X which is in the mail Steinberg VST folder, PG-8X can only see the default presets. Do you have any idea how to make PG-8X see all presets? I even tried load button under "program" but it's not seeing them. Picture is for attention: https://i.postimg.cc/LSvbnvvw/pg.png
Synth version on website is PG-8X_2.0.13_Win64 while when I open the plug in it says it's 1.0.0.0

Cubase 9.5 Pro on windows 10
Not to take this off-track, but Espen's selling presets? I didn't see or hear any mention of this in his videos. Where did you find them?

Steve

Return to “Instruments”