Cakewalk Gets zplane élastique in build 2018.09 Build 25

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:31 pm no reason at all to bring their forum issues here, completely off topic derailment. Please no one pick up on it
While I would agree with that because we could go back 5 years on any daw forum that allows it and dig up software issues, for the most part the responses to those users argue against the point he thinks he's making. It should also be noted that a much larger percentage of users having technical issues show up at the CW forums because they want help. The larger silent majority are busy making music in CbB. :)

:tu: I agree with you, starise!
well said. Found lots of helpful advice by people from some threads - and of course there always will be in any forum technical probs, which are special / individual / not easily to be solved / workarounds etc.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

ruslan.st wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 am I use original Mercury theme, without any edits. When I switch back to Tungsten, result is the same - no velocity bars visible.
May be related to graphic drivers or some undiscovered settings, don't know. I have two laptops. On Lenovo Cakewalk is ok, shows velocity in both themes. On Dell there is this glitch :) But I haven't experienced any graphics related problems on that Dell neither in other programs, neither in VST plugins and in few other DAWs I demoed on it.
If it works well on one of your machines but not on another, I'd say with 96% certainty that this is a video driver issue, since you almost certainly installed and configured it the same way on both machines. Unlike Cubase, Sonar doesn't need Aero or any other "eye candy". If your ATI or NVidia card has any extra software running, you may want to turn those things off to save resources. And that alone might also end up resolving this issue. I can't reproduce this problem either, and I'm just using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 video system.

Do the invisible velocity bars move as you scroll back and forth in the window, and/or do they become visible if you shrink or enlarge that section?

The only "transparency" feature Sonar has is for overlaying some screens on top of others. You can change the "X-ray" settings in the preferences, under Customization : Display. X-ray isn't used for the velocity bars, but it does take advantage of some of the graphics card's capabilities. Maybe turning it off (or on) might help.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

DeBro wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 pm
planetearth wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:17 am

That's great to hear! How about a link to the page? :wink:

Steve
Sure, here's the link by first logging into your Facebook account. The successful project was just a matter of uploading and retrieving the project file on the Cloud.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

For those who do not have a Facebook account, here's a direct link to the audio file. Even if you're not into this genre of music, the song showcases that Cakewalk is a well capable music production software.

https://app.box.com/s/o2bn1vi05ztgup2ea7b4qove45alk3m5
I wasn't too familiar with Nyabinghi reggae rhythm before I heard the track, but like many of the other people who posted comments said, you have a cool groove there. And any time you get a chance to work with someone named "Isaac Newton", you'd better not pass it up! ;)

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:13 am
ruslan.st wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 am I use original Mercury theme, without any edits. When I switch back to Tungsten, result is the same - no velocity bars visible.
May be related to graphic drivers or some undiscovered settings, don't know. I have two laptops. On Lenovo Cakewalk is ok, shows velocity in both themes. On Dell there is this glitch :) But I haven't experienced any graphics related problems on that Dell neither in other programs, neither in VST plugins and in few other DAWs I demoed on it.
If it works well on one of your machines but not on another, I'd say with 96% certainty that this is a video driver issue, since you almost certainly installed and configured it the same way on both machines. Unlike Cubase, Sonar doesn't need Aero or any other "eye candy". If your ATI or NVidia card has any extra software running, you may want to turn those things off to save resources. And that alone might also end up resolving this issue. I can't reproduce this problem either, and I'm just using the Intel HD Graphics 4600 video system.

Do the invisible velocity bars move as you scroll back and forth in the window, and/or do they become visible if you shrink or enlarge that section?

The only "transparency" feature Sonar has is for overlaying some screens on top of others. You can change the "X-ray" settings in the preferences, under Customization : Display. X-ray isn't used for the velocity bars, but it does take advantage of some of the graphics card's capabilities. Maybe turning it off (or on) might help.

Steve
Thank you for explanation. I tried to resize, move, scroll window and velocity lane separately, but velocity bars do not appear. Other CCs - modulation, expression - can be drawn and are visible. X-Ray settings change and turning it on/off doesn't make velocities visible. There is quite generic Intel HD 520 video card on my Dell, no much fancy options in it. Tried to tweak screen resolution, scaling, but nothing happens. Seems that due to some reason Cakewalk decides not to draw specifically velocity bars for unmarked notes, while it can draw all other elements of UI and note rectangles in piano roll, which in essence are just rectangles with the same color as velocity bars should be.

Check the velocity display options in the Notes menu above the PRV.

scook wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:30 pm Check the velocity display options in the Notes menu above the PRV.
:dog:
Checked and here it is: "Show velocity on selected notes only". It was switched on :)
Didn't know such option exists, but somehow on one of machines it got turned on.
Thank you :)

starise wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 pm The larger silent majority are busy making music in CbB. :)
That is the truth for so many things.

That said though, Sonar X1 was the most buggy DAW i have ever tried out. Sorry, it just was. And i didn't even make much with it.

Fair enough, I can't discount your experiences nor would I want to try to invalidate what happened to you. FWIW as was already mentioned, X1 was the first iteration of the new GUI and there were some bugs in that early cross over from 8.5 version. Later updates to X1, subsequent X2 and X3 culminated in making this one heck of a fine and stable daw. Things started to settle down after X1. I never had any showstopper incidents even in X1, but I understand many did.

There was a twofold dilemma during the X1 update because there were so many users who didn't want 8.5 tampered with. I for one am glad Cakewalk didn't change their direction and updated the GUI. The floating screens and resizable windows make it nice all round' IMHO, in addition to having shell choices.

I would suggest that anyone who is using an "X" version of the program take advantage of the free update to CbB through the Bandlab app. Platinum users will want to keep it installed alongside CbB which will see all of the 3rd party goodies.

ruslan.st wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:52 pm
scook wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:30 pm Check the velocity display options in the Notes menu above the PRV.
Checked and here it is: "Show velocity on selected notes only". It was switched on :)
Didn't know such option exists, but somehow on one of machines it got turned on.
Ah, yes. I didn't notice if you'd mentioned that the notes weren't selected. That makes a difference. :wink:

Steve

ruslan.st wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:52 pm
This is the kind of thing that makes many people start crying "bug!!!". This is a deep program, and it is being constantly updated, even now that it is presumed dead :roll:

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:57 pm
starise wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 pm The larger silent majority are busy making music in CbB. :)

That said though, Sonar X1 was the most buggy DAW i have ever tried out. Sorry, it just was. And i didn't even make much with it.
It was a horrible, cataclismic change. A lot of users, me included, were appalled. At the end of the tunnel, it was for the better, but X1 was a tough one to swallow. I went to Live until things got better, circa X3. Anyway, it was Roland who actually destroyed Cakewalk's public image, IMHO. Gibson put it back in the right track, but then it went bankrupt by itself. The devs, with Noel leading, have been doing a terrific job these years in spite of all, and they deserve to be supported, especially for the price.

Just diving deeper into Cakewalk right now. Midi only - as that's why I have chosen it (for multiout stuff) - but to be on topic I think it's great, that this program is still developed and gets extras like elastique!
The audio department seems to have gotten lots of good credits, so a timestretch algo is a good extension.

I like how cakewalk is layed out. After some weeks of learning now I'm beginning to get into a state of walking instead of crawling. :)
Fun so far :tu:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

JoseC. wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:57 pm

It was a horrible, cataclismic change. A lot of users, me included, were appalled. At the end of the tunnel, it was for the better, but X1 was a tough one to swallow. I went to Live until things got better, circa X3. Anyway, it was Roland who actually destroyed Cakewalk's public image, IMHO. Gibson put it back in the right track, but then it went bankrupt by itself. The devs, with Noel leading, have been doing a terrific job these years in spite of all, and they deserve to be supported, especially for the price.
"Horrible"? "Cataclysmic"? Hyperbole, much? :roll:

Roland didn't start courting bankruptcy lawyers after selling off Cakewalk (and many of the other things they bought and didn't know how to market). That was Gibson. And they're still not in the clear. On the other hand, Roland it doing just fine (thankyouverymuch) and came out with the plug-in versions of their classic synths that many musicians have been clamoring for for years.

Gibson ousted their CEO, sold off (or is in the process of selling off) many of the other music-related companies they bought (and couldn't figure out what to do with), and will hopefully be able to recover from all the missteps they've made over the years.

Again, I am no Cakewalk/SONAR fanboi. In fact, I haven't said much to defend SONAR in a couple of years, despite the attacks from people who just couldn't be bothered to try to learn it. But when people go over the top with their "horrible, cataclysmic" stories, well...I'm sorry. But no. :dog:

Steve

Most of the issues that people have with these DAWs is a result of user error :help:

Instead of blaming the software,people should start learning about the tools they are working with...

Reading the manuals or the help files is a pretty good place to start when you have a problem :wink:

Weak people always try to shift the blame away from themselves so that they never have to deal with the real issues :!:
No auto tune...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”