u-he ACE vs Oddity2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This mode generates a special way of playing.
A limitation that is fully creative and really different from poly and mono.
Try it on the Oddity 2, it's striking by its evidence.
Last edited by Julien Unison on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

There's a great, detailed explanation at SoundOnSound, including duophony as it applies to the Odyssey. It really comes down to having two pitch CVs that are directed separately to the individual oscillators. It can sound like crud but you can also be really creative with it, depending on the patch.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/duophony

But - you couldn't switch it off though (not sure what the software versions allow).

I never really appreciated how brilliant the legato mod was on the Moogs until I owned one. Without velocity, you could still be so expressive - especially for bass patches. The ARPs are such different beasts - I can't imagine, at that time when you really devoted your time to the particulars of one or two instruments, developing a playing style for one, then switching to the other.

Apparently, according to the article, the Octave CAT could do something else entirely (I worked with an engineer who was once a roadie of sorts for Bob Moog, then went on to work for Octave). Too bad everyone was so busy suing each other :)

I think u-he's free Tyrell can actually do duophonic.

jacqueslacouth wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm
Julien Unison wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:09 pm Duophonic mode is really more than simply an extended mono mode.
It generates a very special sound harmonically speaking.
Like really simple but powerful chords (like "power chords" in the guitar world) where 2 notes are turning around each other in spiral.

A very vibrating sound. Like when you play only two strings on an electric guitar, that generates vibrating simple chords, and where the speed of the vibration is depending on the gap between the 2 played notes.
Is there something special about a duophonic mode in doing this that makes it any different from simply playing 2 note chords on any other polyphonic synth?
Duophonic is not the same as 2 voice...

Here is an example of Duophonic mode
https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/repsun.mp3

Sounds cool! You get intermodulation with the ring mod. It sounds pretty dissonant at certain intervals. Fourths, fifths, sus, and octaves sound cool though. With osc sync it's not a problem though.

Oddity is parameter accurate to Odyssey so patch sheets works. Duophonic mode is also good in Imposcar, very unique synths great for leads.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

This seems like an odd comparison, 2 very different synths.

What's a patch sheet?

djmino02 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:49 pm What's a patch sheet?
It's what us old people used 40 years ago.

djmino02 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:49 pm What's a patch sheet?
Paper preset memory (or preset memory on paper) :hihi:

Looks like this: Image
Fernando (FMR)

Oh okay. I bet those came in handy

I think I'm going to have to download the demo of Oddity2. It looks and sounds like it's a whole lot different than ACE

the odyssey was never a huge favourite with the masses sadly.
it had a sound of its own that made it a niche thing, users of it loved it though for that very reason :)
the oddity is quite faithful.

so yes, while they can both do similar sounds, when pushed a little further both can be great additions to any paint box of sound.

I think Oddity2 definitely has a more "instant gratification factor" than ACE.

Ace requires a bit of love in understanding how to program it using cables. Both are good, both sound nice, but they are very different to program.
:borg:

pdxindy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:31 pm
jacqueslacouth wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm
Julien Unison wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:09 pm Duophonic mode is really more than simply an extended mono mode.
It generates a very special sound harmonically speaking.
Like really simple but powerful chords (like "power chords" in the guitar world) where 2 notes are turning around each other in spiral.

A very vibrating sound. Like when you play only two strings on an electric guitar, that generates vibrating simple chords, and where the speed of the vibration is depending on the gap between the 2 played notes.
Is there something special about a duophonic mode in doing this that makes it any different from simply playing 2 note chords on any other polyphonic synth?
Duophonic is not the same as 2 voice...

Here is an example of Duophonic mode
https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/repsun.mp3
I'm wasn't disputing that it was different, I was genuinely enquiring as to what the difference actually is. Anyways, thanks for the example, I've done a bit of reading and TBH, I'm really none the wiser which would suggest that at my level of (non)expertise, I will probably get through the rest of my life with no real understanding of the concept... :shrug:

jacqueslacouth wrote: I'm wasn't disputing that it was different, I was genuinely enquiring as to what the difference actually is. Anyways, thanks for the example, I've done a bit of reading and TBH, I'm really none the wiser which would suggest that at my level of (non)expertise, I will probably get through the rest of my life with no real understanding of the concept... :shrug:
Let me see if i can help.

The main difference is this:

- With 2 polyphonic voices, and 2 oscillators making sound, both voices will always play both oscillators at the same time. So if you hold down say C3 plus C4 you get two oscillators playing C3 (voice 1) and two oscillators playing C4 (voice 2). Totally normal for a polyphonic voicehandler as its designed to do just that.

- With duophony its different since engaging the second voice in effect decouples the second oscillator from the first voice. So if you play a second note while the first is still held then only the second oscillator will change its pitch according to the additional note youve pressed. (Which is impossible with a standard polyphonic voice architecture.) When you let go of the second key, first still held, then the second osc will simply 'snap back' to the pitch of the first keys note.

And thats pretty much it. It also explains why you cannot play duophonically with polyphonic synths.

Return to “Instruments”