TAL Mod

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Mod The Shining Stars Soundset

Great to see that TAL has released another promising synth. I suppose this is a NoiseMaker's bigger brother? I like how it sounds but there are some things that I can't quite get a grasp of.

For example, what is the purpse of those ADR shape knobs in ADSR envelopes? In the manual, it is stated that "They turn the envelope curve from concave to convex or the opposite. Turn the shape knobs to the middle for linear ADSR’s."

As far as I can tell, they only let you make ADR sliders' function shorter/longer? If that's their only purpose, then I can't see any advantage of having them. In fact, I'm not fond of TAL-Mod sliders: they are too narrow, too fast and need to be moved quite a bit to make a change to the sound. For example, if I want to create a simple, long evolving pad, the Attack slider turned all the way up is still too fast. I have to reach for Attack shape knob and turn it almost all the way to the right. Why would I need to adjust two knobs instead of one Attack slider, like on any other synths? Am I missing something here?

Also, if I was to map all ADSR envelopes to my MIDI controller, I would normally need 12 knobs for three ADSR envelopes. But now, I would need 9 more knobs on my controller for ADR knobs.

And another thing. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but my laptop's display resolution is 1366x768 and this is as far as I can resize the GUI in Reaper: https://i.imgur.com/nvmELMj.jpg

I would like to make it just a bit bigger, but I can't resize it any further than that. TAL-Sampler, on the other hand, can be resized (if I want to) so much that it is actually too big for convenient use: https://i.imgur.com/Ti5u3pA.jpg

I agree with you Sidom, in his attempt to make the envelopes flexible, he's actually just made them more frustrating to use. The values are extreme, as you've pointed out, the end resulting being entering 2 envelopes (one via the sliders, the other via the knobs) to create what you normally would do with just one.

They change the shape of the envelope stages
Amazon: why not use an alternative

TAL Mod is the only plugin by Togu Audio Line which I don't own (yet)...

Anyway, I like when I can control the A-D-R stages' shape. I like to think to the linear behaviour as if the A-D-R stages move at constant speed; then, by changing the shape, I can slow down or accelerate each stage (while keeping the same total time as before). For example, it's very effective on filters (make a "pluck" sound with a very short attack and play with the shape: you'll see the importance of this control over the envelope)...

On some synths you can recursively modulate the adsr to get similar results (it's a tecnique I learned years ago, I don't remember in which manual, and I still use it).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Sidom wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:08 pm And another thing. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but my laptop's display resolution is 1366x768 and this is as far as I can resize the GUI in Reaper: https://i.imgur.com/nvmELMj.jpg
I would like to make it just a bit bigger, but I can't resize it any further than that.
Try to edit the configuration file and set the value for scale manually, for example:

<VALUE name="scale" val="0.81"/>

File location on Windows: %appdata%\ToguAudioLine\TAL-Mod.xml

mholloway wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 pm I agree with you Sidom, in his attempt to make the envelopes flexible, he's actually just made them more frustrating to use. The values are extreme, as you've pointed out, the end resulting being entering 2 envelopes (one via the sliders, the other via the knobs) to create what you normally would do with just one.
Some softsynths only have a linear attack phase , talmod gives us 3 possible options for every envelope stage , which imho is a good thing . :tu:
The envelope knobs crossfade between exponential (fully left ) , linear (middle pos.) and log. ( fully right ) .

So yes , the decay anwill be shorter when the knob is turned fully left , this has the same effect as multiplying 2 envelopes , hence exponential >

But there is more to it , patrick said that the envelopes are modelled on the behaviour of diodes .
All that being said , I do think the envelope sliders need an overhaul , the resolution just seems a bit off , sometimes it's verry difficult to find that sweet spot .
Also when you move a slider say from 0.32--->0.33 ( display read out ), there are values in between that are not shown but do have an effect , just hold down CTRL for fine tuning .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Ah yeah another major annoyance >
While the modulation envelope is able to do triplets by just dividing the overal length of the window by 3
Since the envelope poinst are freely adjustable and not snapped to a grid , we can divide it by any number we like ..it's a bit hit and miss but doable
But this is not the case when the mod.envelope is set to step mode , since the window is divided by 2 , and multiples of 2 ..and snaps to these subdidvisions , trippletse are not possible ins step mode
Eyeball exchanging

planz wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:39 pm Try to edit the configuration file and set the value for scale manually, for example:

<VALUE name="scale" val="0.81"/>

File location on Windows: %appdata%\ToguAudioLine\TAL-Mod.xml
Tried it, and it didn't work. The scale value won't change any higher than "0.71<...>" no matter what. Guess I will have to send Patrick an email.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:36 am Some softsynths only have a linear attack phase , talmod gives us 3 possible options for every envelope stage , which imho is a good thing . :tu:
The envelope knobs crossfade between exponential (fully left ) , linear (middle pos.) and log. ( fully right ) .

So yes , the decay anwill be shorter when the knob is turned fully left , this has the same effect as multiplying 2 envelopes , hence exponential >
Ok, I see now. Maybe those ADR knobs are not that bad after all. I guess, if I want to control envelopes only with sliders, without needing to touch the shape knobs, I could adjust all ADR knobs on all three ADSR envelopes to my liking and then just save the values as default.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:36 am All that being said , I do think the envelope sliders need an overhaul , the resolution just seems a bit off , sometimes it's verry difficult to find that sweet spot .
I agree.

Latest version 1.3.2
Osc 3 has a new place on the gui , awfully mis alignment/placement
I already contacted patrick , it's just a matter of swapping osc3 with value read out box
This looks verrry unprofessional

How it should be

Eyeball exchanging

Yes, even the display looks better when placed at the center imo

Agreed. Rsp
sound sculptist

Can we adjust the gui ourselves?

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:45 pm Can we adjust the gui ourselves?
I don't think so. But I also support this changing proposition.
Fernando (FMR)

You can change the colour of the background/text /sliders ..and that's it
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:30 pm Latest version 1.3.2
Osc 3 has a new place on the gui , awfully mis alignment/placement
I already contacted patrick , it's just a matter of swapping osc3 with value read out box
This looks verrry unprofessional

How it should be

In that case the cables would hang all over the display...

Plus, osc 3 seems to be more limited than oscillators 1 and 2, so setting it slightly apart is ok in my view.

The more central location of the display is better now as the eyes don't have to wander that much.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”