UVI Plate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plate

otristan wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm Well, unfortunately you both fail on the demo front: UVI's demo seems to crash Logic projects that include it, upon reloading. And you seem to think that inserting 6 seconds silence regularly is conducive to prospective sales :scared:

Wallet = Safe! :tu:
If you have a crashlog, please don't hesitate to send it in P.M.

Thanks !
'PM' Sent :tu:

cjwseven7 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:32 pm Ok, are you able to explain why you chose the material sequence Steel-Gold-Silver-Titanium-Aluminium, like in PA1? These are by no means standard materials for a plate reverb. There are thousands of materials and compounds to choose from. Why those?

Also, the ranges of the control knobs are surprisingly similar to PA1. Why are you letting the area to go up to 6m^2? That's again a non standard size for a plate reverb unit. Same goes for the tension, from 0 to 2000. By the way, I don't think you implemented these features correctly. You don't give physical units on the plate. Also, on your website you are measuring the plate area in metres, not square metres. The tension has no units, which is weird. Also, it is false to claim that the tension raises the frequency of the highest modes ... it should raise the frequency of all the modes, if implemented properly.

There are a number of things that look a little unclear, and I think they would deserve a better explanation.
Harry Truman said once: If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Hopefully this is not what you are trying to do here...

You can contact UVI Plate developer (which is not me) directly through our support channel. He will be happy to answer your questions.

Thanks !
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

otristan wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 pm

All the controls in those screenshot are pretty generic given a physical plate simulation...
*lol*

So could you hint us at other Plate emulations using a similar set of controls? If they are so generic that should be very easy for you.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

otristan wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:39 pm

You can contact UVI Plate developer (which is not me) directly through our support channel. He will be happy to answer your questions.
Actually it looks like that is exactly what you are trying to do now - I for one think you got busted wide open...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Whatever I would say would make me guilty to you so honestly I won't bother to convince you.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

Jesus F. Christ - let's please not _AGAIN_ let a product topic derail into this nonsense.

Always the same trolls too, ffs.

yep, thought that too

UVI/Tristan:

Another feature request:

Plate works extremely well as a natural small room simulator when disengaging the damper, friction and air filters and just working with the Band Decay. The frequency curve/plot is however laid out so that it's extremely difficult to make changes in the very low range of decay times where single pixel changes have very big effects on the sound. It would be great if the Band Decay curve had drawing/line tools and/or something that makes an operation like for example raising all points from 150ms to 300ms easier. Currently this is very annoying. This could also be fixed with automation/vst paramater control of the band decay points.

I urge everyone to check out the sound at 100% WET with the speaker and microphones on exactly the same point on the plate. Extremely transparent and natural reverb possibilities here.

Will forward this to the dev

Thanks !
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

cjwseven7 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:32 pm Ok, are you able to explain why you chose the material sequence Steel-Gold-Silver-Titanium-Aluminium, like in PA1? These are by no means standard materials for a plate reverb. There are thousands of materials and compounds to choose from. Why those?

Also, the ranges of the control knobs are surprisingly similar to PA1. Why are you letting the area to go up to 6m^2? That's again a non standard size for a plate reverb unit. Same goes for the tension, from 0 to 2000. By the way, I don't think you implemented these features correctly. You don't give physical units on the plate. Also, on your website you are measuring the plate area in metres, not square metres. The tension has no units, which is weird. Also, it is false to claim that the tension raises the frequency of the highest modes ... it should raise the frequency of all the modes, if implemented properly.

There are a number of things that look a little unclear, and I think they would deserve a better explanation.

Thanks !
I'm sorry Olivier, but I don't think this is a very satisfying answer. Please understand I am not trying to confuse anyone, let alone the people of this thread. I am pointing out things regarding your product, which are of interest to the end user. Particularly, things on your website that look very unclear, if not wrong, as well as a whole set of very peculiar features which appeared originally on a different plugin, and that show up unchanged here. Physical modeling is a difficult thing, I think it is important to understand what is going on here, for everyone's sake. Any more specific details on the issues I raised will be greatly appreciated!

why would i, as a user, care about units in which tension is measured? i think they could've gotten away with not displaying units for plate area either (and in fact, those are pretty much arbitrary, as the promo video has mentioned that they are auto-adjusted under the hood to be equivalent for different materials to make comparisons easier). so i'm sorry, but while it may be a curious coincidence that the materials in R1 are exactly the same and in the same order, and plugins more or less share the same set of simulation parameters, i don't think one can fault UVI for not mentioning units in which they measure tension.
Last edited by Burillo on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

jens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Actually it looks like that is exactly what you are trying to do now - I for one think you got busted wide open...
Butsted wide open borrowing interface and sound ideas from other products to make a different and they hope better product - another word for which is "innovation".

I am all for plugn companies borrowing from each other to create newer better cheaper products. In fact, I can't think of a plugin I have, and I have many, that is 100% unique.

Valhalla was the first reverb I saw using the concept of metals/materials for different plate characteristics. I wouldn't necessarily credit Physical Audio for that idea.

You are barking up the wrong tree here. As per usual. :phones:

otristan wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:28 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:22 pm Yeh, OK, but aside from the same materials in the same order, the same controls, the same ranges, the same 8 band control, the same moving pickups how is it even similar ;-)
10 band control for ours ;-)
And cross platform :tu:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

cjwseven7 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:20 pm I'm sorry Olivier, but I don't think this is a very satisfying answer. Please understand I am not trying to confuse anyone, let alone the people of this thread. I am pointing out things regarding your product, which are of interest to the end user. Particularly, things on your website that look very unclear, if not wrong, as well as a whole set of very peculiar features which appeared originally on a different plugin, and that show up unchanged here. Physical modeling is a difficult thing, I think it is important to understand what is going on here, for everyone's sake. Any more specific details on the issues I raised will be greatly appreciated!
I'm afraid I will be unable to answer your specific questions, so I will let Remy, Plate DSP developer, contact you.
He is at the AES in NY right now, you can probably find him at UVI booth if you are there as well.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

It is a shame the PA1 is not for Windows as well as then we could have some competition :)

As for the rest - that is for experts to investigate

Return to “Effects”