VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AudioRealism Bass Line 3 (ABL3)

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:18 pm
ilhouse wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:01 am
Kr3eM wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 pm
ilhouse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:50 pm The clicks only appear, or at least are audible, when theres several gates that are off next to each other?
Sounds weird, is VCO Phase Reset activated? What's the GATE TRIM set to ?
I tried everything but nothing removed the click. As previously mentioned, I read that this issue was fixed, and the problem just came up out of nowhere so it didn't make sense. And from my understanding, the clicks were at the end of the steps when it jumped back to step 1, not on the other steps, so wasn't 100% convinced it was the vst. I decided to reinstall vst and moved all my tracks to a new project and that fixed it. I deleted the old file but now I'm thinking I should have kept it to see if it was the vst or DAW causing the clicks :dog: As of now, it's click free :phones:
Can you upload the pattern ?
See if it happens over here
Sorry I ended up changing the sequence earlier, as I was busy for a week, came back to sequence and tbh sounded like doodoo lol but I recall it happening with any section that had 5 or 6 back to back gates that were off. Im pretty sure it was something with my DAW or files because I haven't encountered the problem since the reinstalls.

ABL3 combines really, really well with Cytomic's "the Scream" distortion plugin, by the way.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm I'm really annoyed that swing was removed from V2 and has never been added to V3. I bought it expecting it to show up eventually, but it's been so many years I've given up. How can it be so difficult to add swing when the previous one already had it?
It's really inexcusable.

Have both like both. Phoscyon has Phoscyon sound and ABL3 has the sound you want (ie what you use to distort it).

There is no swing and internal dist , simply because the og didn't have one either .
Abl 3 is meant to be as close as it can get to the original
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:39 am There is no swing and internal dist , simply because the og didn't have one either .
Abl 3 is meant to be as close as it can get to the original
Fine but the previous version had swing. You can add distortion externally. You can not add swing and use the internal sequencer, which is a big part of the appeal. Also, did the original have a graphical sequencer? Nope, but it’s very useful because the original sequencer was annoying. So you can’t really use that argument for removing swing. I can not fathom the thinking behind a newer version losing that feature.

It's about the raw sound ,
Whether you turn a knob or a slider , the interface has nothing to do with the generated output .
But , yeah I would applaud a feature like per step delay , this way we can make our own swing settings .
But a Mike has said numerous times , abl3 is meant to sound as close as possible to the orig.without any bells /whistles .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I don't have abl3 but from what I see here it seems like it would benefit from a similar system to audiodamage tattoo where you can drive the sequencer by sending a midi note for every beat and then do whatever you want with that midi.

it already does, doesn't it?

yes.

oh, it does? that's nice. so then it has the best of both worlds: no swing knob on the interface for the purists, and the most versatile kind of swing you can possibly get.

Haven't had much time to really use abl3 lately but man when I use it, this thing rocks! Loaded a techno preset, used the notes it had, and used those for a random pattern. That randomizer is handy. As far as getting ABL3 to output midi notes, can't figure it out on Bitwig, but so far just use the pattern bank and use notes to trigger it. So far that's been working good but would be cool to get minor swing. And speaking of the lack of swing to emulate original; this thing features a ton of stuff that TR303 didnt have so.... lol. But as far as sound...jeez, this vst really puts out some fat warm sounds. Great purchase. I swear, I can listen to 303 baselines all day.

Any tips on making good sequences? I noticed a lot of songs use C/C#, F#, A#, E in -1/+1 range. Just putting those parameters in randomizer yields great stuff.

Yeah, the original 303 only had 3 a octave range, so you want to set the randomizer thingy to a -1/+1 range, if you want to generate patterns close to the original. Also turn off the vibrato in the setup menu, as the original obviously didn't have that.

As for scales, it depends on what you want, really. Phrygian works well for classic acid sequences, which would be C, Db, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb in C.

Delta Sign wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:31 am Yeah, the original 303 only had 3 a octave range, so you want to set the randomizer thingy to a -1/+1 range, if you want to generate patterns close to the original. Also turn off the vibrato in the setup menu, as the original obviously didn't have that.

As for scales, it depends on what you want, really. Phrygian works well for classic acid sequences, which would be C, Db, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb in C.
Cool man, thanks for tip on notes and vibrato setting. Took a closer look at the other settings and moved the gate trim to zero and that worked really well for vibe of track. I set it to zero and the notes seem to come out smoother, whereas the default gate setting gave more of a constant pumping sound that threw the groove off. Lowering gate gives it a smoother sound. It is more noticeable with sawtooth waveform. Not sure why exactly but I guess thats the joy of messing around with all the settings; discovering new things :)

Quick question on the tuning/key of the device. Lets say I play a G#, I check on an analyzer and the first small peak around 100hz is G#, but the louder peak around 200hz, is D#. Would that mean I should think of that bass note as a G# or D#? Have been going by ear to see what sounds good, but was curious about the tuning.

Return to “Instruments”