Loom II has landed!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Loom Classic Loom II

robotmonkey wrote:I absolutely love when a new product or upgrade is released and KVR turns into a disappointed bitchfest. The entertainment value is always so high. :hihi:
It's a bit like a relationship really. Once you've gone beyond bickering and arguing then you know it's doomed. The fact that the majority of us are upset is because we care about the product and about what version 2 could/should have been.

User pressure about GUIs does work sometimes. Arturia rebuilt everything from scratch after years of complaints. Let's hope Air see the light too.

It would just be nice if they were more like, say, u-he or Fxpansion, who had the foresight to see where things were going and the initiative to rework their GUIs without having to be repeatedly badgered about it. This might have something to do with them wanting to make artistic use of their own products of course :wink:

lnikj wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:I absolutely love when a new product or upgrade is released and KVR turns into a disappointed bitchfest. The entertainment value is always so high. :hihi:
User pressure about GUIs does work sometimes. Arturia rebuilt everything from scratch after years of complaints. Let's hope Air see the light too.
Oh boy, I still remember what a bitchfest that was! I probably contributed this to myself :hihi: 6GB of picture files for GUIs. Jeez.

I sincerely hope AIR won't copy Arturia on this one.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
lnikj wrote:
Oh boy, I still remember what a bitchfest that was! I probably contributed this to myself :hihi: 6GB of picture files for GUIs. Jeez.

I sincerely hope AIR won't copy Arturia on this one.
I guess the problem is vectorising vs bitmaps at multiple scales ? Harder to do skeumorphic with vector graphics.

lnikj wrote:
It's a bit like a relationship really. Once you've gone beyond bickering and arguing then you know it's doomed. The fact that the majority of us are upset is because we care about the product and about what version 2 could/should have been.
Exactly - it's not like people are saying it's crap, it's a great synth, one of my favourites, and totally unique, but I too am very disappointed not to see some things that I actually thought were promised (particularly drag and drop rearrangement of modules in particular for me is essential, greater polyphony is also very important)

I'm a bit unclear about the 5 sine module for organ sounds - v1 already has an organ module that I always assumed was sine based so what's the diff?

In general it's been very quiet from Air for a long time when it comes to new products, updates, etc. In all this silent time I would have thought they would work on new plugins or nice updates for the existing ones. I sure hope they will overhaul their existing stuff. I often use Mini grand and Strike, and I do like Loom, Vacuum, Hybrid, Xpand and the others. Velvet is another nice plugin I use some times and it sounds good and have all functions I expect of it, but larger GUI would make a world of difference.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Loom was/is interesting for me because I want to have one additive synth - but workflow will be an issue. Also, I need to buy Avenger first, because that one is a dream for me in terms of workflow.

Main problem I see in Loom is the non-resizable UI and exposing information, also, modulation ease of use. So much has happened, see Avenger or Serum, display of curves, LFO ranges on knobs, current LFO positions... Ease of use of modulation is also there. Or see the Unfiltered Audio modulation system... A pleasure to use. And they are (i guess) successful on a high price tag. EUR 100 for effect plugins...

I'm sorry, it is as it is, as a customer, I am expecting such convenience from new plugins now.
Aloysius wrote:
EnGee wrote:...Anyway, I suggest you take a full frontal and send it to their support or directly to Simon (sbangs_air) by PMing him first.
:-o
That kind of things has been a valuable currency at all times :)

:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Hmmmm....

I bought Loom "Classic" and really feel the potential in it, but stopped using it, as it was crashing my Logic project (LX_10.3.2 at that time), after an initial stretch of not recalling presets correctly (which Vacuum was also doing so I stopped using that too). I waited ages for any kind of tech support on that and after the first reply I heard nothing more. It's now been months and I've given up. Thoroughly underwhelmed by the "support" at Air....

I tried the Loom II demo this afternoon, wondering if it might be worth it, if Air were maybe going to drop support/fixes for Loom 1, and Loom II would be more stable. I used it for about 15 minutes in an empty Logic project and it crashed Logic 10.4.0 whilst auditioning presets :-C

Not looking good....?

Shame, as I do see the potential in Loom and there are not that many additive AU synths around...at least that I know of?
Mac Pro 12-core•48GB RAM•10.12.6•Logic 10.4.0•Soundcraft 12 MTK•NI_Softube_Tone2_Spec's_FabFilt_EWQL_PSP_Waves_UVI_Slate etc

KevAquarian wrote:Hmmmm....

I bought Loom "Classic" and really feel the potential in it, but stopped using it, as it was crashing my Logic project (LX_10.3.2 at that time), after an initial stretch of not recalling presets correctly (which Vacuum was also doing so I stopped using that too). I waited ages for any kind of tech support on that and after the first reply I heard nothing more. It's now been months and I've given up. Thoroughly underwhelmed by the "support" at Air....

I tried the Loom II demo this afternoon, wondering if it might be worth it, if Air were maybe going to drop support/fixes for Loom 1, and Loom II would be more stable. I used it for about 15 minutes in an empty Logic project and it crashed Logic 10.4.0 whilst auditioning presets :-C

Not looking good....?

Shame, as I do see the potential in Loom and there are not that many additive AU synths around...at least that I know of?
What about NI Razor or Logic Alchemy?

This one worth a look at.
https://audre.io/revival/
Here's a quote form them site: "Drawbar additive synthesis, harmonic modifiers, and vintage effects".
Re: Loom 2, had the exact same crash while scanning/editing some presets (Logic too).
Wrote to support.
Lets stay calm and resist to write what I think atm.

Thanks for the suggestions - I have Razor and Alchemy. I have not investigated Razor that much - I should take some time to do so.. So many synths and not enough time to play around.... While I'm working to deadlines I just have to go with tools I already know. I have not spent time with the additive side of Alchemy either... ;-C

Re. Revival

Thanks - will check out.
Mac Pro 12-core•48GB RAM•10.12.6•Logic 10.4.0•Soundcraft 12 MTK•NI_Softube_Tone2_Spec's_FabFilt_EWQL_PSP_Waves_UVI_Slate etc

Folks if upgrade to II the then v1 still able to use ? (I mean it will compatible license ?)

I think Loom 2 will overwrite the Loom 1 files, so only Loom 2 will be available.

Schmidi wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:03 am I think Loom 2 will overwrite the Loom 1 files, so only Loom 2 will be available.
No no, i mean - if i uninstall v2 and install v1 again, if it will need (during use already v2 license on ilok) - v1 will still run ok ?

I would be very careful in dealing with Air Music Technology and in particular with the purchase of Loom 2. Up until the release of Loom 2 which was almost a year ago I'd had no problem with them. In the past I have purchased Transfuser, Hybrid, Strike 2, and the original Loom. There were no problems installing any of them (into Reaper). As a big fan of the sonic capabilities of the Kawai K5000 synth I'm always interested in additive synth plugins such as Loom, Harmor etc. Loom is capable of producing some very good sounds and the Tapestry soundset is in my opinion quite excellent.

So I was quite excited to see the arrival of Loom 2. I obtained my discount code and proceeded with the download and installation process. The installation appeared to go ahead quite smoothly and the installer gave me an 'Installation successful' message at the end of this process. I loaded up Reaper and fully expected to see an indication that it had found 'Loom 2.dll' whilst it loaded up and quickly scanned for newly added plugins. But no mention of Loom 2. After Reaper had fully loaded I checked and Loom 2 wasn't in the list of installed plugins. So tried a reinstallation, as you do. Once again things appeared to proceed smoothly and I got another 'Installation successful' prompt - but as before still no Loom 2 in Reaper. The original Loom is still there, fortunately.

I subsequently have discovered that the installer did set up a folder on the hard drive that contained the Loom 2 manual and all the extra presets that Loom 2 comes supplied with. The installer prompts you where to put the Loom 2.dll file but when I check the contents of the VST folder there is no Loom 2.dll file. The original Loom.dll file is still there luckily. In fact I have searched the entire contents of the hard drive and there is no Loom 2.dll file to be found anywhere on it. Which kind of explains why Reaper doesn't find it.

So I put all this in writing to Air Music Technology (AMT). At first there was a response but their first suggestion didn't resolve the problem. Second time around person A told me to contact person B in the organisation to take it further. I knew I had problems when having contacted person B they informed me that person A was the best person to deal with the issue.

On November 21 I e-mailed AMT to ask them if it would be possible for a refund of the 48 GBP it had cost me, to which there was no reply. On 20 December I resubmitted this same November e-mail. To this day there still has been no reply. How long does it take to e-mail a reply of yes/no to a customer? 15 seconds?- maybe 30 seconds? So until they do reply I'm sworn to never purchase anything from them ever again - it's just a small and probably slightly childish way of getting my own back. I suppose I should be thankful that I didn't pay 148 GBP for it as there would still be nothing to show for the purchase.

So tread carefully in your dealings with them.

Return to “Instruments”