Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

I won't be surprised to see Steinberg applying a "grace period".

@S0lo did it work, even if you sent it after Oct 1st?

bkej wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 am @S0lo did it work, even if you sent it after Oct 1st?
I got mine signed way before Oct 1st. I was talking about davidguda.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

@S0lo do you remember how many hours/days it took to have the signed document back via email?

I think it was around 2 weeks. Sent to info(at)steinberg.de. There is another address mentioned in their pdf form, that didn't seem to work.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Literally only just read about this! Might have to try sending off anyway and hope there's a 30 day grace period...

bkej wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:32 am @S0lo do you remember how many hours/days it took to have the signed document back via email?
It was about a week for me, in September.

A few days, but within Germany...

Well... shit.
I just learned about this last week and sent and e-mail with documentation to Steinberg.
Their reply was "we no longer give VST2 licenses".

You’ll have to stop making them then? Isn’t that what they wanted all along?

davidguda wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:02 pm I saw this thread just now after not reading KVR and such for a while. Does this mean I'm forever incapable of releasing a plugin that supports VST2? I'm about a month away from being able to release my product I've been working on for over a year or so.
I will still be able to release AU and VST3 I suppose.
Is it ok to release VST2 if using VST3 sdk ni compability? I've never looked in to that, I've never even released a VST3.
I'm using JUCE if that matters.

IIRC, Juce has its own VST2 code so you shouldn't need Steinberg's license. That said, I'm no laywer and have barely cracked the door open with Juce myself so you should probably get the word from those more knowledgeable. I believe that this is commented on earlier in this thread and was going to be my back door if Steinberg wouldn't sign my license for whatever reason. In any case, mine came back after about two+ weeks as others have reported here.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:49 am IIRC, Juce has its own VST2 code so you shouldn't need Steinberg's license.
That used to be so, but Roli also recently had to yield to Steinberg's demands. The JUCE implemented VST2 code was removed and temporarily replaced by the Steinberg headers in the JUCE repo, obviously making it necessary for developers to get the VST2 license agreement accepted for their JUCE based VST2 plugins. (Roli was granted a special license by Steinberg to allow them to temporarily distribute the VST2 headers, it usually wouldn't have been possible.)

Incidentally, I've been waiting for over 2 weeks to hear anything sensible back from them. I did send the license agreement on the Friday before October 1st...

Xenakios wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:30 am
ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:49 am IIRC, Juce has its own VST2 code so you shouldn't need Steinberg's license.
That used to be so, but Roli also recently had to yield to Steinberg's demands. The JUCE implemented VST2 code was removed and temporarily replaced by the Steinberg headers in the JUCE repo, obviously making it necessary for developers to get the VST2 license agreement accepted for their JUCE based VST2 plugins. (Roli was granted a special license by Steinberg to allow them to temporarily distribute the VST2 headers, it usually wouldn't have been possible.)

Incidentally, I've been waiting for over 2 weeks to hear anything sensible back from them. I did send the license agreement on the Friday before October 1st...
Thanks for posting. This could prove to be one of the most interesting threads of 2018. I hope you get your license soon, I like your work. I'm glad I jumped through the hoops, but, I also hope (mostly in vain) that this pushes the industry a bit and something unlikely emerges.

Fortunately got VST2 and VST3 licenses on time :)

Xenakios wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:30 am Incidentally, I've been waiting for over 2 weeks to hear anything sensible back from them. I did send the license agreement on the Friday before October 1st...
You haven't gotten a reply from them either? I snailmailed it to the the last week, and it should have reached them before the 1st October, but haven't received anything in return either. Let's hope the're just swamped with requests.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”