Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Around 1:45, this is an FM bass, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhkb2eR1SGY

I'm currently in the middle of a playlist with a lot of Trance tracks that don't start with the typical DJ kick intro. These are quite diverse. The only thing in common is they all start rather softly but not all with no melody.

Intros range from...

Soft pads
Sound FX
Percussion
Vocal samples

After the intros, the formulas pretty much follow the video I watched. But some of these intros are out there. So it appears there is room for experimentation as long as you keep it relatively subdued.

you said you checked out some BT already, but focus on the album ima. it's the foundation of both what then became known as trance and prog house. it answers a lot of the questions you have.

just as an aside, the album's gear list:
IBM ps/2 running voyetra
DAT
boss 8track mixer lo-hi 2band eq
akai s900
roland tr-909
roland d70
korg 03rw
roland mks-50
juno 106
quadraverb
zoom multi fx belt pack

acYm wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:08 am you said you checked out some BT already, but focus on the album ima. it's the foundation of both what then became known as trance and prog house. it answers a lot of the questions you have.

IBM ps/2 running voyetra
DAT
akai s900
roland tr-909
roland d70
korg 03rw
roland mks-50
juno 106
quadraverb
zoom multi fx belt pack
There was this site where was listed all the gear of artists and what they used in making track X.. Would anyone happen to know/remember what it was?

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:52 am
acYm wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:08 am you said you checked out some BT already, but focus on the album ima. it's the foundation of both what then became known as trance and prog house. it answers a lot of the questions you have.

IBM ps/2 running voyetra
DAT
akai s900
roland tr-909
roland d70
korg 03rw
roland mks-50
juno 106
quadraverb
zoom multi fx belt pack
There was this site where was listed all the gear of artists and what they used in making track X.. Would anyone happen to know/remember what it was?
I think it was equipboard.com, chk071 loves it :)

Wags is discovering psyprog :party: :phones:

Check out these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKK2oq2NdH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7n_7Ts_S8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr5SPRzrgac
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 am I think it was equipboard.com
Answer to second part, thanks :tu:

But there was also some place where was that were used in making a certain track.. Not all of their tracks but most famous etc.

recursive one wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:52 am

IBM ps/2 running voyetra
DAT
akai s900
roland tr-909
roland d70
korg 03rw
roland mks-50
juno 106
quadraverb
zoom multi fx belt pack
I think it was equipboard.com, chk071 loves it :)

Wags is discovering psyprog :party: :phones:

Check out these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKK2oq2NdH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7n_7Ts_S8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr5SPRzrgac
Wags is discovering a lot of stuff. It's like a whole new world has been opened up to me. Everyday I look forward to hearing new things.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:06 am
Wags is discovering a lot of stuff. It's like a whole new world has been opened up to me.
:tu: :phones:

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:06 am Wags is discovering a lot of stuff. It's like a whole new world has been opened up to me. Everyday I look forward to hearing new things.
Maybe now it's a good time to introduce to you... www.di.fm

93 different styles of electronic music in one place :tu:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:44 am
wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:06 am Wags is discovering a lot of stuff. It's like a whole new world has been opened up to me. Everyday I look forward to hearing new things.
Maybe now it's a good time to introduce to you... www.di.fm

93 different styles of electronic music in one place :tu:
Sure, because I don't have enough to do in my day already. :lol:

Nice track. Here a guy breaks down Superstring of Cygnus X (rank1 remix) from 0:37-1:00 he plays the different parts:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FXNsg9-3elM

Every morning I go downstairs and hit the treadmill while putting on a CD. The last 2 days I've been listening to Spamalot. When I hear stuff like that it makes me realize how little talent I really have.

Oh well, trestleboard day today.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 pm I'm currently in the middle of a playlist with a lot of Trance tracks that don't start with the typical DJ kick intro. These are quite diverse. The only thing in common is they all start rather softly but not all with no melody.

Intros range from...

Soft pads
Sound FX
Percussion
Vocal samples

After the intros, the formulas pretty much follow the video I watched. But some of these intros are out there. So it appears there is room for experimentation as long as you keep it relatively subdued.
I'm not sure what the context here is, this thread is too long, but, there's a whole thing with certain genres of trance, notably psy-trance, where the intros are spacey and not DJ-friendly. I remember a long winded argument on nw-raves back in the day about whether or not good psy djs need to be able to beat match or not. I've been to more than one event where it didn't matter because all of the mixing happened during those spacey intros/outros.

Do whatever you want in terms of intro/outro. The only reason that you need to have DJ-friendly mixes is if you want your tracks played in a DJ set where the mix is continuous across the beats.

I love intros in psytrance (spacey, beatless etc). Overall, I think a good psytrance track must be more than just a disposable product for DJs, it must be self-contained and tell a story and an intro often greatly helps in that.

Mainstream trance is different, it's build about a main theme (the drop) and everything else is used just to introduce this theme.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:38 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:49 pm I'm currently in the middle of a playlist with a lot of Trance tracks that don't start with the typical DJ kick intro. These are quite diverse. The only thing in common is they all start rather softly but not all with no melody.

Intros range from...

Soft pads
Sound FX
Percussion
Vocal samples

I'm not sure what the context here is, this thread is too long, but, there's a whole thing with certain genres of trance, notably psy-trance, where the intros are spacey and not DJ-friendly. I remember a long winded argument on nw-raves back in the day about whether or not good psy djs need to be able to beat match or not. I've been to more than one event where it didn't matter because all of the mixing happened during those spacey intros/outros.

Do whatever you want in terms of intro/outro. The only reason that you need to have DJ-friendly mixes is if you want your tracks played in a DJ set where the mix is continuous across the beats.
So not having a DJ friendly intro won't have people going "That's not Trance" and dismissing it?

Return to “Production Techniques”