DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

moss wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 am
svervs wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 am Thanks Moss. I've watched this before and again now, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem?

I need no Bitwig function to be assigned, and simply use the Midi coming from the controller for mapping knobs.

I think even the "Generic Midi Keyboard" script would be sufficient, but it doesn't send values back to the controller.
Sorry, but I do not understand what you are after. What other than a function in Bitwig do you want to control? Write an email? :hihi:
It's probably just toooo simple ... :hihi:

I want to map knob, using the Mapping function. And get the values to show up on the Fighter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

svervs wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am
moss wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:17 am
svervs wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:00 am Thanks Moss. I've watched this before and again now, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem?

I need no Bitwig function to be assigned, and simply use the Midi coming from the controller for mapping knobs.

I think even the "Generic Midi Keyboard" script would be sufficient, but it doesn't send values back to the controller.
Sorry, but I do not understand what you are after. What other than a function in Bitwig do you want to control? Write an email? :hihi:
It's probably just toooo simple ... :hihi:

I want to map knob, using the Mapping function. And get the values to show up on the Fighter.
Not to take away from Moss' great work (I love it for my Push 2), but if you want to use an MidiFighter Twister in this way, may I suggest you find the *other* controller here for the Twister, written by Pawnbroker? For starters it has a useful set of control mappings spread across 3 different pages of the Twister. And to answer your specific use case, the entire 2nd page is "blank", with 16 knobs waiting to be manually assigned to any control in Bitwig. The LED values will light accordingly when you do this.

Basically, you use the TL, BL, and TR side buttons to swap among the 3 controller pages. Or you can simply use the ML and MR side buttons to scroll through the 4 pages manually. If you're on the TL page (#1), you can press the MR side button one time to get to the empty bank of knobs. And then press the ML side button to get back to the main #1 page.

And yes, you can have both Moss's controller script and Pawnbroker's MF Twister controller script installed in Bitwig and operating together at the same time.

Yokai wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:34 am Not to take away from Moss' great work (I love it for my Push 2), but if you want to use an MidiFighter Twister in this way, may I suggest you find the *other* controller here for the Twister, written by Pawnbroker? For starters it has a useful set of control mappings spread across 3 different pages of the Twister. And to answer your specific use case, the entire 2nd page is "blank", with 16 knobs waiting to be manually assigned to any control in Bitwig. The LED values will light accordingly when you do this.

Basically, you use the TL, BL, and TR side buttons to swap among the 3 controller pages. Or you can simply use the ML and MR side buttons to scroll through the 4 pages manually. If you're on the TL page (#1), you can press the MR side button one time to get to the empty bank of knobs. And then press the ML side button to get back to the main #1 page.

And yes, you can have both Moss's controller script and Pawnbroker's MF Twister controller script installed in Bitwig and operating together at the same time.
Thanks for the hint about the Pawnbroker script I'm looking into it.

Unfortunately the problem also applies to my old Beatstep, where I want to have the pads as On/Off switches that need to light up accordingly.

Tom's Bi-script was the only one, I think, that allowed this, but I can't rely on them anymore.

svervs wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 amI want to map knob, using the Mapping function. And get the values to show up on the Fighter.
I think this is just a communication problem we have here. You can exactly do that with the GenericFlexi. But you just need to think the other way round: You first choose the knob or button, which you want to use to control something (move or press it). THEN you select what you want to control, e.g. the volume or a device parameter. For each mapping you can decide if you want to have the current value sent back to your device to e.g. light up a pad.

moss wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:00 pm
svervs wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 amI want to map knob, using the Mapping function. And get the values to show up on the Fighter.
I think this is just a communication problem we have here. You can exactly do that with the GenericFlexi. But you just need to think the other way round: You first choose the knob or button, which you want to use to control something (move or press it). THEN you select what you want to control, e.g. the volume or a device parameter. For each mapping you can decide if you want to have the current value sent back to your device to e.g. light up a pad.
Oh! I see now. (Just re-watched the video.) If I were to set up my MF Twister with Moss's Generic Flexi, I'd simply leave one page blank (or a half of a page unassigned via the Flexi assignments). That way, you could simply use a *blank* (not assigned) knob for just-in-time manual assignment as needed.

Remember, you can page back and forth through all 4 pages of the MF Twister by pressing the middle side buttons on left and right side of the Twister. So you could fill up page 1 with Flexi assignments, but leave page 2 blank. And then if you need a manual JIT assignment, just press the MR button to flip over to your blank 2nd page on the Twister. Then flip back to page 1 with the ML button when you're ready to start using your Flexi assignments again.

REVISED DRASTICALLY:

It took some experimentation and mis-steps, but I finally discovered that the Flexi controller can be used fairly well with a Midi Fighter Twister with a few not-so-intuitive gotchas to consider.

The key thing to understand is that you have to configure the Twister's firmware template correctly using the Midi Fighter Utility itself. (And unfortunately you must constantly disable the Bitwig controller panel before you can fire up the Midi Fighter Utility and vice-versa. They cannot both talk to the Twister at the same time.)

The next key thing to understand is that many types of desirable control behaviors will require you to configure an encoder knob in the MF Utility for the special ENC 3FH/41H Encoder MIDI Type. For example, if you want a Twister knob to scroll back and forth through your track list, you must:

1. In Bitwig settings, disable the Flexi Controller so you can fire up the MF Utility app.
2. In the MF Utility, the knob's Encoder Settings > Encoder MIDI Type to ENC 3FH/41H.
3. Click SEND TO MIDIFIGHTER to push the new setting into the hardware.
4. Close the MF Utility.
5. In Bitwig settings, re-enable the Flexi Controller.
6. In Bitwig settings > Flexi Controller, twiddle the knob from Step 2, then click Add.
7. Scroll to the new slot and set the Knob Mode to Relative (1-63 increments, 65-127 decrements)
8. Close settings and test your new knob behavior.
9. Repeat this process for other knobs that you want to perform scrolling/selecting behavior.

Now, for OTHER control assignments that has a fixed range of absolute values (such as Track Selected: Set Volume Track), You must instead set the MF Utility's Encoder MIDI Type to CC, and in Bitwig's Flexi Controller you must set the Knob Mode to Absolute.

Finally, there is no way through the Flexi script to push track or shortcut colors over to the Twister's big "indicator" lights under each knob. By contrast, the dedicated MF Twister controller written by Pawnbroker does manage to dynamically push selected track/shortcut colors, etc. over to the Twister's indicator lights under each knob.

Oh, and I tried to run both Pawnbroker's controller extension and the Flexi controller extension at the same time, but they conflict with each other over more than a few typical controller functions. It's best to choose one or the other and make it work for you.

Yokai wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:32 pm It took some experimentation and mis-steps, but I finally discovered that the Flexi controller can be used fairly well with a Midi Fighter Twister with a few not-so-intuitive gotchas to consider.
Were you able to make a simple mapping, AND get the values to update on the Fighter?
I'm out of ideas ... :cry: I'm sure I've tried every possible way, including .

- removed all controllers in the dashboard
- deleted all other scripts from all folders
- deleted Bitwig prefs
- reset MidiFighter

Bitwig 4.2.1
DrivenbyMoss 3.30

doublepost

Sorry! Figured out the issue
Last edited by oivivio on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Moss

when I select the sequencer mode, in the LPP and press play , nothing happens
when I watch your tutorial video I do exactly what you do
but the sequencer or the rainbow sequencer doesn't start

what am I doing wrong

cheers
Kev
Last edited by turbo_kev on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

Hello Moss,

Looks like there is a problem with OSC integration :

- Only connecting to 127.0.0.1 seems to be working (changing the IP address and restarting the extension only adds a new UDP connection to 127.0.0.1). This renders the extension unusable if working with a distant open-stage-control server.

- A new UDP connection is added each time the extension is restarted, the old one is never shut down. (ie: If you restart the extension 10 times then you'll have 10 more UDP connections to 127.0.0.1). Those connections will stay open until Bitwig is restarted.

That is on Bitwig 2.4.1 / Linux Debian / Last iteration of the OSC script.

edit : is that related to https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMoss/issues/44 ?
Last edited by gelabs on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

svervs wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 pm
Yokai wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:32 pm It took some experimentation and mis-steps, but I finally discovered that the Flexi controller can be used fairly well with a Midi Fighter Twister with a few not-so-intuitive gotchas to consider.
Were you able to make a simple mapping, AND get the values to update on the Fighter?

- deleted Bitwig prefs
- reset MidiFighter

Bitwig 4.2.1
DrivenbyMoss 3.30
Honestly, for the Midi Fighter Twister you're FAR better off right now using Pawnbroker's controller extension for that. Then just use the 2nd page (Middle Right button press) to get an empty bank of 16 assignable knobs. The other 3 pages have default controller assignments, are generally useful, and have great visual feedback and colors.

Moss's Flexi controller cannot provide the color feed back or other types of feedback indicators (yet??).

Matjoe wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:44 pm Hi Moss,

So I'm using the Launchpad Pro and I noticed a couple of stuff I thought could be useful to mention here. I suspect this to be more API related but you never know...:

- the Launcher region does not move relative to the Launcher orientation when using the arrows to scroll.

- the Drum 4 and Drum 8 modes are not working. They are not sending midi notes, no lights (not filling the 4 or 8 pads or bitwig drum machine slots with yellow like the drum 64 do).

-I does let me draw blue lights on the pad though :hihi:

Yokai wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 pm
svervs wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 pm

- deleted Bitwig prefs
- reset MidiFighter

Bitwig 4.2.1
DrivenbyMoss 3.30
Honestly, for the Midi Fighter Twister you're FAR better off right now using Pawnbroker's controller extension for that. Then just use the 2nd page (Middle Right button press) to get an empty bank of 16 assignable knobs. The other 3 pages have default controller assignments, are generally useful, and have great visual feedback and colors.

Moss's Flexi controller cannot provide the color feed back or other types of feedback indicators (yet??).
Haven't had the time to try it out so far, especially as I'm looking for a more universal solution wich works with the Beatstep as well. But thanks anyway ... :tu:

Hi Can somebody please do an idiot guide / video of how to use the sequencer mode of the launchpad pro
I have managed to sort of get it working, but im just pressing pads and not really knowing what I'm doing

cheers
Kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

Return to “Controller Scripting”