Merge Soundware and Samples forums?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know there *technically* is a difference, but in practice there is so much overlap that it’s essentially a tossup. Sample libraries are discussed and promoted in each forum.

It seems that it would make things a lot clearer for users if they were combined, or at least clarified somehow.

not really.... if someone is offering a sample set of say, drums or vocals in wav/sfz format, its not the same as a soundbank.

if ppl are wrongly cross posting, report them for spamming

There's an awful lot of soundware and sampling discussion that get posted in Instruments, too, so you could argue it could be merged with that...

(I'd argue people should post in the right place...)

Well in reality sometimes things do overlap, but there are enough clear enough cases here to still warrant the separation of sections, even if occasionally it means people get in a tizz over which box to put things as if it really matters.

I get that sampling and samplers are a different thing than presets or soundbanks, so maybe it’s a terminology thing.

I could not tell you the difference between “soundware” and “sample libraries” as a user. To me, it’s all sound food for my plugins. And if you look at just the first pages of each forum, you’ll see that I’m not the only one.

If I’m a sound designer who offers a sample pack in Kontakt, TAL and WAV formats, where does it go? If I sell a drum and bass pack that includes both Massive patches, reese bass samples and kick drums, where does that go?

Well as commercial entities many sample based libraries do get sold in Soundware too - but the samples forum isn't so much about selling them as sampling in general as a process (including use of samplers) and discussion of sample libraries (usage, tips and tricks, pros and cons). You might as well merge the sound design forum with soundware too if you want to go that way but I think they are distinct enough. Sound design and Samples are about the process, Soundware is for selling and advertising soundware products.

aMUSEd wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:21 pm Well as commercial entities many sample based libraries do get sold in Soundware too - but the samples forum isn't so much about selling them as sampling in general as a process (including use of samplers) and discussion of sample libraries (usage, tips and tricks, pros and cons). You might as well merge the sound design forum with soundware too if you want to go that way but I think they are distinct enough. Sound design and Samples are about the process, Soundware is for selling and advertising soundware products.
That makes sense to me. If that’s the case, then could we at least lose the “sample libraries” from the “sounds, samples and sample libraries” forum name? If you moved that over to the soundware forum, it would make things a lot clearer.

+ 1
And I would like that advertisement for sound packs in the wrong forum silently be moved to the soundware forum without link in the old forum...
I could imagine subforums in soundware... And an intelligent autoadmin which would automatically move a post where it belongs. If the title contains the word Kontakt move it to the Kontakt subforum, if its any u-he synth name move it to u-he etc...
Just an idea...

Using sample libraries (e.g. a drum kit) is different from using samples -- the Soundware forum is NOT suitable for discussing either activity, though. But +1 on moving all ads out of Instruments, Effects, Sound etc, into the appropriate place.

A sample library is soundware!
Anything which delivers sound without a need to program or record it myself but with the requirement of a host plug-in or hardware is soundware...
Anything which discusses how to create the sound myself and the the tools isn‘t...

That means any VST instrument is soundware if it comes with a set of usable patches...

If we're not careful, if I want to discuss using drumkits in a DAW, I end up with three separate conversations.

pljones wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:17 am That means any VST instrument is soundware if it comes with a set of usable patches...
Factory presets are only coming with a plug-in, they don't need a separate thread anyway, the discussion is about the synth, the factory sounds are examples what it can do... To distinguish these is extremely simple.
Its about the end user, there are two sorts of end users: Those who use tools to create their own sounds and those who never bother to do that and think I leave that to professionals.
Those who are only interested in creating their own sounds, the discussion about soundware is not interesting at all...
I am a lot interested in sampling, but not at all interested in sample libraries. Problem in the sampler forum about 80 to 90% of all threads is about what I call soundware...
If I would be interested in sample packs, I'd still find them easily in soundware...
pljones wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:17 am If we're not careful, if I want to discuss using drumkits in a DAW, I end up with three separate conversations.
It depends and is pretty clear as well:
If its about ready made drumkits, it belongs to soundware...
if I want to discuss using drumkits in a DAW, it belongs to the the hosts or the forum for a specific host (extremely obvious)...
If it is about how to organized drum sounds for a specific plug-in, its in instruments...
For the users who have questions its easy, as they choose the forum where they most likely find those who know about it.
More difficult for those who advertise their own work, they want to address as many as possible and there the problem could arise...

The line between samples and soundware is everything from black & white all the way to blurry and overlapping. I think it's great we're having different forums for them. I'm all for niched subforums. I've been trying to convince the mods to open a hardware only sales forum for ages.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:56 am The line between samples and soundware is everything from black & white all the way to blurry and overlapping. I think it's great we're having different forums for them. I'm all for niched subforums.
For me I can't see any line between samples and sound sets for synths (call 100% of all cases 100% overlapping). In the end - for users of soundware its irrelevant into what I have to load it (just need the plug-in that fits), its only relevant how it sounds! That is why all this is soundware. Unless I want to create the sound myself...
The majority of soundsets discussed in the sampler forum is for Kontakt, ready made to just load and play it - without any possible doubt soundware...
If I would search for that, the first place to look is in the soundware forum. It eases the process not just for me, it eases it also for the preset lovers...

If you go, look, right now, you can see that there is a lot of overlap. My suggestion was to maybe merge the two forums, but I concede that is not the best solution. Two things need to happen, we make it more clear what the distinction is between the two forums and then enforce the moderation.

Return to “Site Stuff”