donkeyt - Stop me if you think that I'm a bore

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would pull the bass down a bit ... its really dominating the current mix. Otherwise ... good song and performance. I love the jangly guitars.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:50 pm I would pull the bass down a bit ... its really dominating the current mix. Otherwise ... good song and performance. I love the jangly guitars.
Good call. I've turned it down a bit - new version now.

sjm wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:58 pm I've always been an arse.
Can you smile about it now, but at the time it was terrible....

I like that a lot better. When you have a narrow field on your important guitar it doesn't effect the center vocal when it's there and acts as lead instrument when the vocals drop out. Sounds great for a Donkey.

Be careful with subtle ideas though. For me...when I have an effect that I like I usually push it where I want it then pull back a few because I'm obviously bias. Not the case on a effect/main part. If it is a main part...like in this case the contrasting difference of the backing vocal and effects...which I love by the way. Don't be swayed by the effect/to much effect personal formula. It's a main part...push it. But I do understand what your talking about... This song to me is to simple not to push everything you have forward. You only get one listen usually...Maybe they will listen again some day but get all your ideas present first. Subtle is for subtle...not vocal parts.

DT, how does the Variax 12 string stack up?
Did you mic your amp, also?
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Tbase2000 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:37 am Be careful with subtle ideas though. For me...when I have an effect that I like I usually push it where I want it then pull back a few because I'm obviously bias. Not the case on a effect/main part. If it is a main part...like in this case the contrasting difference of the backing vocal and effects...which I love by the way. Don't be swayed by the effect/to much effect personal formula. It's a main part...push it. But I do understand what your talking about... This song to me is to simple not to push everything you have forward. You only get one listen usually...Maybe they will listen again some day but get all your ideas present first. Subtle is for subtle...not vocal parts.
I can see what you're saying, and if it was something I was doing in order to try and go for some kind of commercial success then it would probably be a good idea. Since I'm doing this stuff just for fun then I like to push the boat out a bit in terms of effects etc, as if I like it, it's good enough!

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 am DT, how does the Variax 12 string stack up?
Did you mic your amp, also?
I would say it's 'ok'..I've used it for backing parts and you'd never tell it isn't a real one. However, for any kind of picking stuff I use the real one because you can hear the Variax is using pitchshifting, and you also don't seem to get the same, err, swirlyness. Of course it does a lot of other things (e.g. Tele, Les Paul, Strat, semis etc) really well, but I wouldn't get one if the 12 string is the main reason. The banjo on the other hand... :hihi:

Didn't mic up the electrics on this, although now you've mentioned it I may have a f**k about putting them back through it and see what I can come up with. I used Klanghelm MJUC kompressor (for that OTT picking accentuation) and the plug and mix 'American' and 'California' amp sims, which don't seem to get a lot of love, but I like because they do really good jangle.. :love:

DT, thanks for the info, I'm going to take the time to listen to your past stuff, Donkey vs Truck, etc.

I find your offerings reminiscent of Peter Gabriel, good stuff. I think you could become commercially viable.
It intrigues me, do you have room treatment?
I agree with the plug and mix stuff.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Haha! Nailed the Smiths impression, although as another poster noted your vocal delivery is a bit less moody. The basslines and jangly guitar tone were particularly good.

If you're going for a more "authentic" vintage-sounding mix, this might actually be a bit too wide in the stereo field. As a standalone piece of music it works though.

nineofkings wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:21 pm Haha! Nailed the Smiths impression, although as another poster noted your vocal delivery is a bit less moody.
I wrote the lyrics about 10 minutes before doing the singing and was still chuckling to myself about my own cleverness in rhyming, 'farce' and, 'arse'.. :hihi: Probably should have had half a bottle of gin or something to get in the morose self-pitying frame of mind . :scared:

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:37 pm
It intrigues me, do you have room treatment?
Sorry, never answered this..

Errr, I've got yellow walls. :o Never bothered with any of that stuff to be honest - seems like hard work and science type stuff. Bit of random ambience is ok with me, plus I think I've been lucky in that the room where I record is a bit of an odd shape due to the previous old fan heating system, so there's probably not so much bouncing around. The real issues are the dickheads with mopeds in the car park/random neighbours arguing/the reggae lads downstairs etc etc. It's a 'colourful' area.

Oh, and I also found that recording acoustic guitars with a small diaphragm condenser seems to work a lot better for rhythm backing stuff (where you're wanting to capture more of the percussive side of it - the plectrum hitting the strings) than using a large one which you'd generally use to get an overall sound. Just a cheapo Behringer one, seems to do the trick.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:57 pm Probably should have had half a bottle of gin or something to get in the morose self-pitying frame of mind . :scared:
The hot drinks machine at the office usually does the trick for me, it's cheaper too.

Great song, and the mix was terrific. Lots of clarity, and a nice warm sound. Those guitars sound great here.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:59 am
donkey tugger wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:57 pm Probably should have had half a bottle of gin or something to get in the morose self-pitying frame of mind . :scared:
The hot drinks machine at the office usually does the trick for me, it's cheaper too.

Great song, and the mix was terrific. Lots of clarity, and a nice warm sound. Those guitars sound great here.

Good work :)
Cheers! Jangly guitars are easy (I've had a fair bit of practice....). The sinthesisers...not so.. :scared:

Return to “Music Cafe”