Illusion - new reverb from LiquidSonics

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Illusion

https://www.liquidsonics.com/software/illusion/

I can not understand what is the root difference from Seventh Heaven :?

Seventh Heaven is IRs from a Bricasti M7

Theres seems to be no indication on the site what hardware they sampled for Illusion.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 am Seventh Heaven is IRs from a Bricasti M7

Theres seems to be no indication on the site what hardware they sampled for Illusion.
reads like they have modelled the process based on Fusion-IRs
"A suite of highly advanced reverberation technologies synthesise Fusion-IRs to your precise specifications without the use of an external library of sampled impulse responses."

don't have the money for this one but Reverberate is pretty good so I wold try this out if I were a bit richer

Right, so they have another technology theyre coining 'Fusion-IR | Synthesis'

Not to be confused with 'Fusion-IR'

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 am Right, so they have another technology theyre coining 'Fusion-IR | Synthesis'

one could be cynical about it :) but I am going to think they have learned from experience and this reverb is probably the best so far

woggle wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:47 am
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 am Right, so they have another technology theyre coining 'Fusion-IR | Synthesis'

one could be cynical about it :) but I am going to think they have learned from experience and this reverb is probably the best so far
Then I must haz it !

(I need another verb like I need another delay or compressor)

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:49 am
woggle wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:47 am

Then I must haz it !

(I need another verb like I need another delay or compressor)
me too! as a safety precaution I have no intention of even trying it

Yes, first it seems that Illusion is not limited to the simulation of a specific hardware of the past, so it should be regarded as the successor to Reverberate 2 (and not to Seventh Heaven).

Second, the IR samples are not really present in a library, but they are recreated artificially on the fly (synthesized).

I really wonder if it is really worth the money in my case, since I have already (or will probably have soon) both Reverberate 2 (with real IR) and algorithmic reverbs known for creating realistic simulation of real spaces well, like 2CAudio Aether and Acon Digital Verberate. I'm curious to see how will it perform if compared to these two. Let's see.

If you own Reverberate 2 and Seventh Heaven Professional you can get Illusion for under $95 before 1 December!
Look like I may have to eat my own words :hihi:

Well is sounds lovely.

Comparing it with 7th Heaven, Reverberate and HD Cart (which has a much louder output than the others incidentally) it sounds completely different.

Cant be tweaked realtime though as need to update its 'calculations' which takes a few seconds.

Setting the Spectrum Analyser to default to off doesnt seem to work (win10 64bit).
Just want to see if it lowers CPU a little as closing the GUI shaves off 1%.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm Well is sounds lovely.
Thank you
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm Cant be tweaked realtime though as need to update its 'calculations' which takes a few seconds.
Some stuff can be done live such as the filters, but certainly some of the more structural changes need that time to update.
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm Setting the Spectrum Analyser to default to off doesnt seem to work (win10 64bit).
Just want to see if it lowers CPU a little as closing the GUI shaves off 1%.
The 'show spectrum analyser' setting in the settings menu just changes the default view not to be the spectrum analyser. So it doesn't turn it off as such, it changes the view you'd see when the plugin is loaded up.

This seems like it is similar to H-Reverb, no? Reading in between the marketing, which is thick with this tone for sure, they seem to be synthesizing Fusion-IRs and then using those IRs in the reverb, no?

Would have rather seen these developments go into Reverberate 3

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:05 pm This seems like it is similar to H-Reverb, no? Reading in between the marketing, which is thick with this tone for sure, they seem to be synthesizing Fusion-IRs and then using those IRs in the reverb, no?
Waves' tech in H-Reverb is not to be confused with Fusion-IR Synthesis which is fundamentally different in a number of key ways to do with the reverb generation and modulation, though I don't want to offer a blow-by-blow comparison of a competitor product of course as it'll just come across as me saying x y and z is better when it's best for people to decide if they prefer it or not themselves.
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:18 pm Would have rather seen these developments go into Reverberate 3
The majority of features in Illusion can't be applied to sampled impulse responses, so Illusion and Reverberate 2 cannot be combined in this way into a Reverberate 3. It would seriously over-complicate an already complex beast which for most people would really detract from the new capabilities on offer which is why I did not consider going down that path.

liquidsonics wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:32 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:05 pm This seems like it is similar to H-Reverb, no? Reading in between the marketing, which is thick with this tone for sure, they seem to be synthesizing Fusion-IRs and then using those IRs in the reverb, no?
Waves' tech in H-Reverb is not to be confused with Fusion-IR Synthesis which is fundamentally different in a number of key ways to do with the reverb generation and modulation, though I don't want to offer a blow-by-blow comparison of a competitor product of course as it'll just come across as me saying x y and z is better when it's best for people to decide if they prefer it or not themselves.
I'm sure, but, the differences were not my point so much as the similarity is. You are generating IRs on the fly and then using those IRs in a convolution reverb, no?

I'm making no judgement to sound quality here, only commenting on the similarity because it does impact usability. Moreover, the ability, of this reverb to be of sonic interest like H-verb, comes down to how well you can generate/simulate those spaces. My comment about H-Verb was just a first shot at categorizing this reverb in terms of where it fits in the reverb spectrum. Of course there are going to be differences, but, to be clear, one of the reasons that I like Reverberate 2 is that it loads Waves IRs and I use it much more as just an IR verb that is super flexible as I do a Fusion-IR verb.

I understand that any firm has a need to capitalize on their technologies as best as they can with respect to what kinds of products the market has shown a willingness to buy, but, these kinds of generative IR products are less interesting to me than either pure algorithmic reverbs or more traditional IR reverbs. I too would have preferred to see Reverberate 3 as opposed to this approach.

Return to “Effects”