Tech Preview: Hive Wavetables

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

It is a joy to work with the new tables, wonderful work guys!! :tu:

-yes, about the renamed tables: it would be good to get a text file what was the old name or
what is the new name for those uhm files from the FM and Karpus thread.

No worries. We're actually going to let Hive find the Starter Pack ones for presets done with the WIP ones.

We have a list, I might just post it here later.

Urs wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:58 am No worries. We're actually going to let Hive find the Starter Pack ones for presets done with the WIP ones.

We have a list, I might just post it here later.
That would be good. I have found a few of the renamed wavetables, but some are not obvious.

Will this install over my current Hive install? Because I've got a bunch of projects using a much older version, that I'd prefer were left alone. So if I could install this and use my current version of Hive that would be preferable. As it is, I've got thousands of wavetables (around 3000+) I created myself in Serum, using maths and resampling, as well as various offline editors. Throwing them into Hive, which is my workhorse synth that get's used on everything, will be a blast, especially since the filters on Hive are better and there's an arp which Serum unfortunately lacks. Lots of potential there already.

Also, Urs, if you manage to catch this, could you ask your guy Viktor to contact me please. I sent your company a bunch of links to my patch design work as well as all of Serum and Hive patches for you all to play around with, as a speculative pitch, about two months ago, since I'd heard about you being interested in creating a wavetable synth. Viktor said he'd get back to me, but I think he's kind of busy what with him and his wife having a baby, so...
It would be good to get some feedback on this. I'll also download this version and start experimenting. See what I can come up with.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

yemski wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm Will this install over my current Hive install? Because I've got a bunch of projects using a much older version, that I'd prefer were left alone. So if I could install this and use my current version of Hive that would be preferable. As it is, I've got thousands of wavetables (around 3000+) I created myself in Serum, using maths and resampling, as well as various offline editors. Throwing them into Hive, which is my workhorse synth that get's used on everything, will be a blast, especially since the filters on Hive are better and there's an arp which Serum unfortunately lacks. Lots of potential there already.
Yep, it does install "over" your existing one. It is pretty safe to do though, we have next to no reports on any kind of big issue.
Also, Urs, if you manage to catch this, could you ask your guy Viktor to contact me please. I sent your company a bunch of links to my patch design work as well as all of Serum and Hive patches for you all to play around with, as a speculative pitch, about two months ago, since I'd heard about you being interested in creating a wavetable synth. Viktor said he'd get back to me, but I think he's kind of busy what with him and his wife having a baby, so...
It would be good to get some feedback on this. I'll also download this version and start experimenting. See what I can come up with.
Yes! We talked about it in a meeting. I was under the impression that we did not have any examples yet and wanted to request some. I'll send Viktor a link to your post, maybe he can get back to you shortly.

yemski wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm ...could you ask your guy Viktor to contact me please. I sent your company a bunch of links to my patch design work...
Hi Yemski,
very sorry, didn't mean to ignore you, but I have my hands full indeed. :)
Could you write to me again at the Support address? I assume that's where our original conversation took place.
Viktor

@Urs Just updated Hive now and noticed on the first instantiation on BlueCat Patchwork a random click on the attack on the left channel when using the supplied wavetables. Strangely this went away !!!! The same thing happened with some imported wavetables but disappeared? Weird huh.

Not a phase related issue as reset didnt cure it and it was random
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:01 pm
yemski wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm ...could you ask your guy Viktor to contact me please. I sent your company a bunch of links to my patch design work...
Hi Yemski,
Could you write to me again at the Support address? I assume that's where our original conversation took place.
Viktor
Cool. Just going to bed in a moment but will send all links and neccesary materials again sometime tomorrow afternoon, since I've got stuff in the morning.I totally understand about being busy. With a young child now in the family, you aren't going to be able sleep again for a long while :)
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

WoW !!!

A big compliment to U-He for Hive, it sounds cristal clear and the quality of imported wavetables which I use in Serum is much better as in Serum. The GUI is absolute great because its easy to use with a fast overview over the soundstructure.
Hive is yet not for high sofisticated sounds, for this there is Zebra 2 (3) but for many many other.
I will buy it this year.

Two questions about updates.
Will there be 2 MSEGs for wavetables in Hive in v1.2 or v2.0 and could there be softer filter (ladder or so) and maybe a comp-filter.

MorpherX wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:51 pm WoW !!!
Thank you!
Will there be 2 MSEGs for wavetables in Hive in v1.2 or v2.0 and could there be softer filter (ladder or so) and maybe a comp-filter.
I would not like to speculate too much. We certainly can't sacrifice as much screen estate as Serum if we want to avoid tabbing. At the same time we don't want anything overly fiddly, or overly redundant and complicated. So yeah, we're thinking of adding an "evolving element" besides the built-in sequencer to Hive. We will need a lot of experimentation, as we're not happy with anything we've seen elsewhere (and we've seen it all).

From my experience with modular synthesizers, I would rather seek to be able to derive multiple modulations from one such source than crowd Hive with things that make it tedious. We have some pretty cool ideas for that, but nothing has been tried out yet.

A comb filter is not very likely at this point - if then only a simple one, and nothing like Zebra's. A new engine with a different filter is a possibility, but I can not promise anything just yet. What's wrong with the ladder filter already inside ("Normal" engine, IIRC)?

Have to admit. The .uhm tables you guys have included so far are seriously good. Wild stuff. Advanced waves shapes.

Is that zebra version also is suitable for normal usage?

The unshushable Coktor wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:01 pm
Hi Yemski,
Viktor
Hi Viktor, no worries. I've sent the neccesary links via the support address about Friday or so. The links are for archives that contain my original Hive set, (released a while back, some of the Arp patches play back with problems on later versions, 90+ percent are exactly the same though, something I only found about recently, I'll make a set of replacement patches to replace these soon for all my paying customers). All my patches for Serum are available via this link, including some yet to be release ones, representing 530 patches in all, give or take.
Hope to hear from you soon on this.

Also, for anyone interested, I'm putting out 338 free wavetables created in Serum, using a combination of maths, resampling, and single cycles generated in other application and chained together to make wavetables, again in Serum. Some of it is stuff I released already , to promote a set for Serum called Pitch Mutation, but there is also a load new stuff in addition to that. I also be putting out a further 200+ Wts in a few days, after they're edited for any possible glitches.

Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79f8gv5rmxpxt ... e.rar?dl=0

Enjoy.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:52 pm Is that zebra version also is suitable for normal usage?
It does everything the regular Zebra2 does, plus some more on top.
You can use it as a direct replacement for Zebra2 if you wish, there are no features in Zebra2 that are not in ZebraHZ (...that I would know of).

Edit: Whoops, sorry, got my threads mixed up and thought this was about ZebraHZ.

Theoretically yes, this version of Zebra2 is just the regular Zebra2 plus the new wavetable features, and it seems to be stable so far, but it is still to be considered a "beta". It was our main priority to get an impression of the wavetable features out into the public in order to harvest feedback, not to publish a rock solid new release build. So although I haven't heard of any major showstopper bugs with this version, it may not be desirable to use it in a productive (i.e. non experimental) environment.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

Return to “u-he”