Will VST3 be enforced and make my abandonware useless?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

electro wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm The compatibility solution is Metaplugin by DDMF, an awesome must buy utility
https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/
Bidule is better, more stable and supports VST3 presets, Metaplugin doesn't.

When will VST7 get here? I hear it currently is only supported on iWindows OS 4.2.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Blaster wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:27 pm Anyway if DAWs would not support it anymore, somebody will probably create a vst3 wrapper that can host vst2s like what is happening with 32bit and 64bit.
These already exist. I use BC patchwork to use sidechained vst2 plugins in cubase without the dumb workaround. This would work for all types of scenarios. I wouldn’t worry much about it. I’d be more concerned with people not officially supporting older versions of Windows.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:41 pm
mumpcake wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:32 pm No DAW developer could get away with a VST3 only offering as long as NI products are still on VST2.
NI are far too dependent on VST2, they should have realised long ago they could box themselves into a corner over this.
I’d love to see a vst3 Kontakt. Having access to multiple midi ports would be rad. Even hosted in VEP or Patchwork or Bidule, the plugin version does not show its other 3 ports to its host.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 pm
electro wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm The compatibility solution is Metaplugin by DDMF, an awesome must buy utility
32bit bridging?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I accidentally posted in this thread, but it's actually relevant here.

There seems to be a generalized attitude that things must progress. The top synths drive the market, and the best have already been at the top of the product rankings for years now. Technology matures and so do markets. Trying to drive the market by cutting an interface that created the current top synths is foolish and does not reboot the market. VST2 is pretty much the best and only standard other than ASIO going on for Steinberg. They don't have anything going on and it's pretty easy to see they are trying to shake a shiveling tree for fruit that is almost gone. People want to make the best music, quickly, easily, simply, and with the nicest gui. This is so true now that there is almost no money in music whatsoever than having a great marketing angle. Also, you can't punish people who don't have the money or interest to perpetually uodate their gear and simply assume they will or must. Some people just throw in the towel or move onto cheaper platforms like mobile, further drying up the customer base.

Steinberg did us one unintended favor that I can see. To break the complacency and stagnation of the developers. Possibly pushing this market as a whole to reinvent itself and breathe a second life into it. It will mean a whole new level of music production with even more ease, song generation within an entire synth, and live song generation online in parallel with others on the fly with anonymous easy collaboration (just the music). It will be innovation for this market, or stagnation into a tailspin
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

electro wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:34 am
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:52 pm
32bit bridging?
No but I've never got the bridging in Metaplugin to work properly anyway.

carrieres wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:39 pm imho, the problem is more related to your hardware, does your soundcard is still supported by WinXP ?
who cares, the hardware i have now (3ghz intel core duo) runs XP lighting fast in 3gb of ram with my maudio 1010LT.

having newer hardware only gives you more speed and more ram
people think that more speed and ram makes your music better.
but in reality, its your composition and mixing skills that do. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:58 am
carrieres wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:39 pm imho, the problem is more related to your hardware, does your soundcard is still supported by WinXP ?
who cares, the hardware i have now (3ghz intel core duo) runs XP lighting fast in 3gb of ram with my maudio 1010LT.

What i was saying is that your soundcard may die and you will not be able to buy a soundcard supporting WinXP

thats what ebay is for ;)

matter of fact i been shopping ebay for a second 1010LT to get 20 audio in channels for all my outboard synths and modules :idea:

... and when your pc dies and the new components need win7 or 10 or above?

layzer wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:46 pm thats what ebay is for ;)

matter of fact i been shopping ebay for a second 1010LT to get 20 audio in channels for all my outboard synths and modules :idea:
Have a 1010LT Will most likely never use again also the 4x4 and 2496 from maudio. All my new machines are small form factor so I went all usb for audio io

This is not true for very many use scenarios. Anybody using large amounts of samples needs more ram than that. I know people who were using more ram than that in a rack full of hardware samplers long before xp ever came out. The amount of data throughput that 3GB of ram provides can also be a bottleneck for high track counts which can be extremely useful in many applications.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:40 pm

This is not true for very many use scenarios. Anybody using large amounts of samples needs more ram than that. I know people who were using more ram than that in a rack full of hardware samplers long before xp ever came out. The amount of data throughput that 3GB of ram provides can also be a bottleneck for high track counts which can be extremely useful in many applications.
make your music with whatever tools you wish, with huge amounts of samples.... still wont guarantee it will sound good.

Layzer taking the time to speak sense to the disillusioned!
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Instruments”