Zebra 3 feature suggestions

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New thread for Zebra 3 feature requests.
Last edited by Hanz Meyzer on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bring them on! :)

It needs to be able to make tea for Howie! And me! :lol:

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 pm It needs to be able to make tea for Howie! And me! :lol:
THIS!

:3 Nah, ok I guess everything was written already and then lost in noise. Will work on some ideas then and post it in a complete singlepost.

For layering sounds, some ideas:

- Being able to transfer an OSC waveform from morph to blend mode forth and back instead two separated modes, so you can use the blend mode as a key following eq/filter for your morph waveform. And apply this filter to all the morph waveforms.
- Steep LP / BP / HP filters, flat/edgy types like butterworth 4p++ or similar, that can act precisely with keyfollow
- 3 or 4 band EQ as module, being able to keyfollow, so per note. Falcon has this now and it is really nice to color sounds like a sample.
- 8 mixer slots instead 4, horizontal size could be limited a lot? Some more vertical slots, too. So 8 OSCs and modules, too.
- More modulation slots, like 24
- Mixer module with separate gain for base/side instead cross fading. Then it also could act as a simple gain module. And panning for both.
- Noise module also with steep filters, or being able to be edited by spectral editor

Other feature ideas

- Being able to restart a LFO via automation, like switch from 0 to 1 is restart
- Changing the OSC waveform only, without switching the other parameters (maybe possible already?). So kind of shortcut? in the OSC selection menu? Or checkbox "lock parameters"
- Unison spreading curve parameter concav to convex, or a drawable curve
- copy/paste/duplicate everywhere
- Ringmod with gain controls
- Sine, pickup and softclip modes
- Bonus: drawable shaper fx, just like melda mwaveshaper

But I guess you already doing a complete new Zebra which will be more modular, so maybe my post is obsolete but maybe there is some idea in it you did miss :P

Sample synthesis. :)
<List your stupid gear here>

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:30 pm - Being able to restart a LFO via automation, like switch from 0 to 1 is restart
+1

With the implementation of MPE, there are incredible sound design opportunities. Being able to perform an electronic instrument in a similar fashion to a real world instrument means that each preset is truly its own unique instrument. I would love to see the ability to create custom curves for each aspect of MPE. I own three ROLI keyboards, so I am very biased when I say that it would be awesome if Zebra 3 had modulators for Velocity (Strike), Pitch Bend (Glide), Aftertouch (Press), Slide (Vertical movement on y axis of each key), and release velocity. Basically it would be great if Zebra 3 took a page out of ROLI's book and improved upon the Equator VST's "Transfer Curves" where the user has the ability to draw 4 custom curves for each of the five "Dimensions of Touch" with the ability to map them to any desired parameter. If this were to be implemented, Zebra 3 would need to have far more than just 24 modulation slots (I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I don't know if this goes against Urs' personal philosophy of not wanting infinite options when it comes to sound design or making music, but I can say that as someone who uses these functions in Equator I think they would be masterful additions to a more powerful soft synth. Anyone have any MPE related suggestions or better ways of implementing what I am requesting?

Edit: I forgot to add that the "dimensions of touch" are not exclusive to the ROLI. As far as I know, the other popular midi controllers use the same ones. I am just approaching this from the perspective of someone whose only MPE controller is ROLI, and I think they have done the best job of pushing MPE in to the mainstream.

Feature requests for the already almost perfect ultimate creative soft synth:
- Most important and currently most frustrating lack for me : please please MORE POLYPHONY if at all possible.
- MPE, natch.
- Some kind of super-smoothed aftertouch option (poly and channel) - one of the frustrations of using after touch is that the 7 bit midi res really steps once you go over a pretty small range - since there's no way to do 14-bit aftertouch in midi an internal smoothing of this would be awesome. Of any control where stepping is audible for that matter, but with aftertouch there's no workaround so it's the most problematic, at least for me.
- Audio rate range option for LFOs.
- More comb filters. One of the best modules in 2.x
- An external midi control resolution in between semitone/integer and fine (equiv to 10 bit?)
- Support for multiple custom midi control maps.
- OSC control support.
- Multiple audio outs eg ability to have each lane output audio from the plugin.
* 2-4 more lanes.
- Ability to do FM with the regular OSCs (but keep or expand the FMOs!!!)
- Selectable and/or user-definable response curves for velocity and aftertouch.
- ZebraHZ and/or Polymood/PS-3100 style resonator but polyphonic and stereo! (even if just in HZ 3.0)
- Some sort of mechanism for doing feedback in patches (even if limited) without sacrificing the fantastic lane/matrix architecture.
All of this is WAY more interesting/important to me than more diva filters, wavetables, sample support, etc.
But even if the only new feature was one of these I'd be thrilled to upgrade.
filmmaker/composer - http://www.brookhinton.com

milesmaker wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:26 amit would be awesome if Zebra 3 had modulators for Velocity (Strike), Pitch Bend (Glide), Aftertouch (Press), Slide (Vertical movement on y axis of each key), and release velocity
Zebra 2 already has 4 out of 5 of those (for "slide" you use CC 74, IIRC). It's only missing release velocity, it has all the others. But the way voice engine works doesn't support MPE, so that will be overhauled in Z3.

You can use modmappers for "transfer curves". It's all already in there, years before Equator happened. :P

bhinton wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:32 am- Some kind of super-smoothed aftertouch option (poly and channel) - one of the frustrations of using after touch is that the 7 bit midi res really steps once you go over a pretty small range - since there's no way to do 14-bit aftertouch in midi an internal smoothing of this would be awesome. Of any control where stepping is audible for that matter, but with aftertouch there's no workaround so it's the most problematic, at least for me.
This is already possible in Z2 if you use modmapper in "Map Smooth" mode and assign ATouch as modulator for the modmapper...

From there, right-click in the modmapper table, create a ramp shape then make it unipolar. Or just draw a curve that you want to use. Quadric or root also work nicely. You can then set "alt-drag" mode to "warp" and tweak the curve furthrer.

Zebra is amazing.

Another vote for MPE optimisation with (some) presets optimised/configured for MPE as in Falcon, Cypher etc.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

MPE is going to happen for Z3 for sure. I saw a Rise 49 in u-he offices. I actually wanted to steal it, hahahah :)

Hehehe, thanks for these!

Yes, MPE is going to happen. Pretty much anything about curves, smoothing, AT whichever is gonna happen too.

I am however quite opposed to making Z3 structurally more complex. For instance, the Mod Matrix will get double target slots like Hive instead. The Grid will stay at 4 lanes, Z3 will stay a "4 of each" synth in general.

There are two structural concepts which will be more complex, but which make day-2-day tasks more simple: We'll detatch pitch control from voice parameters and wrap it into special modules. The other thing is treating gates and triggers as equals to modulation sources. This opens amazing possibilities, both for performing musicians and producers.

Individual modules will become more complex. Some will be simplified. For instance, the LFOs will drop custom waveforms, but they will get some mighty good feature additions. Oscillators will (optionally) become FM-able, naturally at the expense of CPU.

New modules will include per-voice spectral processors (EQ/Modal Synthesis/Resonators), West Coast inspired modulators and very dynamic mixing/routing modules.

I'm not fond of OSC or any such protocols (wasn't there something called Copperlan once?).

Last but not least, I do not like Sampling in synthesizers. It's the one thing I don't think I'll ever add to Zebra. There'll be .wav import for sure, but merely for stuff like wavetable/room/body extraction. Maybe not. We'll see.

In any case, Zebra3 will likely start with fewer modules than Zebra2. Simply because we'll never finish if we need to catch up first.

- U

Urs wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 amI'm not fond of OSC or any such protocols (wasn't there something called Copperlan once?).
OSC is seeing a lot more usage compared to cLAN. It's not a bad idea to support it, although there are very few plugins that do (Reaktor, Falcon, as far as I know).

Return to “u-he”