Hive update plan

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ohhhh... thanks dragon. i am the only admin, but that would make sense, i'll check it.

I'd suggest to take general question about scripting (bets free text editor etc.) into this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=511390

... or start a new one.

I'm quite busy with stuff but I will eventually get around to create a sticky thread with links to all .uhm resources.

I know you are busy and you don't even have to respond to this Urs. I like you Urs, a lot. I buy and use more U-he then anything. I was the biggest voice in your ear about adding new waves and features to Hive (which I also love). But, when I said "I think what people really want out of hive is new waves," I didn't mean this -> 1-2*(phase>0.5). nobody wants to type that every time they want a square wave... and guess what... they are. They are going to want to do it. everyone that owns hive is going to want to script it. If you think I am giving you hell wait until a 100, 000 MF that have never seen script or math before come after you. I'm giving you a small taste. I'm trying to make life easier on you. Would it be too much to ask that you add a machine language to the script that converts "1-2*(phase>0.5)" into "[SQR]", or would that be bloat? Does that make sense? Like I said, you don't have to answer, I know you see it.

It doesn't make sense because if you just write SQR there's nothing you can do to mess with the phase of that square wave and do interesting and weird stuff with it. You're completely missing the point.

Again - scripting is not for everyone, and not everyone will even want to write them - your assumption that everyone WILL want to do it is just that, assumption, nothing verifiable. All users of Hive will want to use the wavetables generated by those scripts, though, which is just as easy as loading a wav file. From the UI perspective, they are the one and the same - if the user doesn't dig through the Wavetables folder, he wouldn't even know what's a sampled wavetable and what's a scripted one (apart from them being in two separate folders). I mean... this is really a non-issue.

Also, this is nothing really new. Serum has thousands of users and it also has MATH IN IT (but this time actually as part of the GUI, in the formula editor, which is in stark contrast to how it's going to be in Hive). How many of Serum users is actually using it? Try to guess. It sure ain't all of them.

@dragon. I don't know about serum because i don't use it. maybe you are right though. all I can speak of is if I have access to scripting the engine I am going to want to use it as an end user. I am going to pull my hair out trying to experiment with it. you are right already about the difference between waves and scripts because i am floored by the wave tables already included. supremely advanced wave shapes. if that's the case what's the point of the scripts though? again, if it's available i auto assume everyone is going to want to use it like me... an end user.

I don't know how much bloat or how hard it would be, i'm not that advanced a coder, but would it make more sense as an object oriented script in version 2.0? i know this as fact as an end user, this -> "1-2*(phase>0.5)" is not going last, so start thinking of ways to get around it unless you want to make it a very specialized synth. i thought the point was to draw in as many people as possible tho. mabey i'm wrong about that.

double

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:18 pm everyone that owns hive is going to want to script it.
I own Hive. I have no interest in scripting it. All that interests me is using existing scripts and that they are well organized enough that this is fast and easy.

The great majority of people who use sample libraries in Kontakt do not make their own. They buy the libraries they want and use them.

This is still going on? Average users don't understand trigonometry, and this scripting language is much simpler to get results with than even the Serum formula editor.

No legion of users is waiting in the wood work to cry about the internal workings being available but out of reach. A couple of attention grabbing squeaky wheals might though... I see no meaningful endgame with this line of thought.

I think about what makes me get into something like this. It's never some grand plan to outsmart all of those sneaky devs, it's stumbling across something that the current system can't do, in a way I feel like I can describe clearly. I am writing some sort of script, daily. I understand the math too. I even made a few wave-tables with my friends and it was fun talking about fractal loops and what the variables mean. It should be fun, and it is. I also took some Bass recordings from my friends playing upright, unique yes but not broadly useful. But fun to do with friends.

I have been patching hive wave-tables for a couple of weeks every day, and I have no desire to add to the current factory list. I find it comprehensive, every waveform I have looked for I have been able to find. If something is missing that has wide appeal it is going to be a rare gem.

Being on the technical end of the average user bell curve, I think just about everyone will love this.

Last edited by ZeePok on Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:12 amall I can speak of is if I have access to scripting the engine I am going to want to use it as an end user. I am going to pull my hair out trying to experiment with it.
And out of every 100 users, one will be like you. People will go on using Hive exactly as they have been. Those who want to explore the scripting themselves will and those who don't wont. There is no problem.

I don't get Dasheesh's argument honestly. He starts out basically saying, "boo to scripting, keep it simple - just wanted more waveforms to use" then immediately follows it up with, "I'm not going to rely on just browsing wavetables, I'll want to write my own scripts." Well, which is it? Do you want simple additional waveforms to browse (keeping it simple) or do you want to experiment with writing your own scripts? The craziest thing is, Hive will allow for both and he's still unhappy!

If you don't want to learn scripting, then just browse the wavetables and treat them like extra waveforms! If you want to learn scripting, then don't complain!

we will see. don't come at me when you get bombed by folks who want to know how to script it the engine.

Yeah, it's like saying you won't use Reaktor because you don't understand core (which the vast majority of users probably don't).

The scripting is a cool addition for those who want to use it, but it doesn't even come up for the average user who doesn't want to use it.

The scripting language also isn't too complicated. Heck, even I can do stuff with it, so it can't be that bad :hihi:
I actually think it's rather genius how simple it is while still providing lots of flexibility.

If we end up in that Twilight Zone episode. Coming to you should be at the top of my list.
Dasheesh wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:54 am we will see. don't come at me when you get bombed by folks who want to know how to script it the engine.

Return to “u-he”