One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ModulAir

574X wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:32 pm
If it sounded slightly different then aren't we in the territory of very limited granular synthesis?
So then something like this should be perfectly fine?
https://youtu.be/__y9U6k8I-w
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

schiing wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:31 pm Try putting some fixed formant with a bit of LFO through the Audio S/H module and tweak around - I've got some Martian conversation going on like that :)
You should try modulating a filter with some Resonance by a 100Hz LFO and feed that into other modules or combine it with AM with a second LFO close to audio rate. The sad thing about most Modular Synths Emulations is - and I'm sorry to say Modul Air is no exception - that they distinguish control voltages from sound voltages. In a true modular system I could plug anything into the Filter freq mod plug, even another real audio rate OSC. I know only of very rare software emulations like Sonice Cores Modular system based on Sparc DSPs which does not distinguish...but anyway, it's fun to do this filter fm ;-)

Frostline wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:20 pm
574X wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:32 pm
If it sounded slightly different then aren't we in the territory of very limited granular synthesis?
So then something like this should be perfectly fine?
Who!? What!? Why? America? Great...Again!?

Actually this is the trick that I have used in the Fathom Challenge, but Fathom requires quite some amount of fiddling to make it work. Even for a single word it needed 4 Wavetable OSCs with 16 slots each ;-)
This is where Modul Air is different, because a.) it's single cycle is rather long 2048 samples compared to Thorn, zebralett and fathom... and b.), that is in my eyes the most prominent diffference, it can load samples of arbitrary lenght while it does not "compress" them into a single cycle, but "interpret" them as a sequence of single cycles of lenght 2048...

BUT: Why not go like this. Let's say it's only allowed to use the Samples that Forstline has used in his example. Only those 4 sample not a single sample more. We can load them unchanged in Modul Air and only use Modul Airs modules to shred them.
So let's make it a "liars" round...I mean more because of Trumps words, he he he ;-)

Single cycle waveforms are ok. I updated the OP.

Thank you for the following links:
574X wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:15 am Here's a single cycle waveform generator and editor for you.
http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/editor.html
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:39 am As for ready-made single cycles you could check out the famous Adventuer Kid collection: https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/

:? Help me out folks, I've never done anything much with single cycle waveforms or wavetables so if someone would be kind enough to explain a bit I would really appreciate it.

So we can load a single cycle waveform into the wavetable module... I got that bit :) That's just like a custom oscillator shape, right? So not a sine or saw but some little slice of 'whatever'...

But then wouldn't a wavetable be like a long series of these single cycle waves that you modulate through? Is that bit OK? I'm feeling embarrased to ask tbh as I'm confused and feel like I must be missing something or like people might think I'm just being awkward - trust me this is a genuine confusion!

So, but... a long series of different (arbitrary) single cycle waveforms... uh... isn't that like... a sample? Man I am confused!

Someone put me out of my misery!!

zarf wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:04 pm :? Help me out folks, I've never done anything much with single cycle waveforms or wavetables so if someone would be kind enough to explain a bit I would really appreciate it.

So we can load a single cycle waveform into the wavetable module... I got that bit :) That's just like a custom oscillator shape, right? So not a sine or saw but some little slice of 'whatever'...

But then wouldn't a wavetable be like a long series of these single cycle waves that you modulate through? Is that bit OK? I'm feeling embarrased to ask tbh as I'm confused and feel like I must be missing something or like people might think I'm just being awkward - trust me this is a genuine confusion!

So, but... a long series of different (arbitrary) single cycle waveforms... uh... isn't that like... a sample? Man I am confused!

Someone put me out of my misery!!
Yeah Zarf, I think you got it right. I think since ModulAir can load pretty large tables, it is crossing over into one shot territory. I don't mess with wavetables much except if I'm using something like Serum, so I am probably wrong. The Adventure Kid library that Peter pointed out is a classic when it comes to a bazillion waveforms.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Thanks TNS, good to have something that suggests I'm not losing my mind. (any more than normal).

On further reflection, and after your input, I can refine my current confusion:
Z' and 574X seem to be talking about scanning through wavetables, (e.g. 'finding the sweet spot' of modulation with wavetables) (which appeals to me), but the official OK-ing of 'single cycle waveforms' doesn't seem to clarify when that is OK and when it isn't - in fact it seems to imply that we can only use the wavetable module as a static, one slice, 'single cycle' but not scan through them - which is not what everybody seems to be talking about doing!

Is this right:

Load a single cycle into the wavetable module and use as oscillator: Fine
Load a wav into the module as a wavetable and scan through it in creative ways: Fine, except:
Don't use this to recreate 1-shots like kick drums or vocal samples (like Frostline example and Peter's previous track vocal trick) : This is not in the spirit, don't do it...

Is that where we are at?
Last edited by zarf on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://soundcloud.com/zerothefox/modul ... ip/s-ZfwFw

Just trying things out. This synth scares me. Probably not even gonna attempt to use the wavetable oscillator =w=
It's very tasty, I swear!

zerofox97 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:08 pmThis synth scares me. Probably not even gonna attempt to use the wavetable oscillator =w=
:D Good point. Nice tune!

Zarf, I was taking it like single cycle=yes, table=no. Seems we need clarification of the clarification! Subtractive is so uncontroversial, I'm gonna stick with that lol

censored
Last edited by 574X on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
quick, _ake what you want in life

Frostline wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:20 pm So then something like this should be perfectly fine?
I know that reverb ! (click the question mark in gui :wink: )

Just a quick heads-up: I exported my first mixdown this morning. Everything sounded fine in my DAW, but it turns out I had to go through all my hard attack patches and increase the attack from 0 to 10-20 to avoid clicks in the output file.

Quite predictable, really - but I figured that as long as it sounded fine in the DAW...
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

rghvdberg wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:57 am
Frostline wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:20 pm So then something like this should be perfectly fine?
I know that reverb ! (click the question mark in gui :wink: )
Nice one! Looks like you reigned in the good stuff of FreeVerb3. Is that the GPro algo? Nice, clean interface too. GPro and Hibiki were always very usable imo. Not as "lush" as some others out nowadays (or even then), but they have a boldness to them that I always liked. I'll be using Dragonfly for sure. Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”