Zebra 3 feature suggestions

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fladd wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:14 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:29 pm The XMF filter is two filters in one. So 4 Z3 filters will actually be 8.
Yes, but I cannot use them entirely individually like I can with two individual filter modules.
Not entirely individually... but they are impressively versatile. 1 XMF will cover a whole lot of 2 filter situations.

It's an embarrassment of riches! The most sought after synths in history don't even approach 4 Z3 filters! No offense meant, but seems like you are getting somewhat caught up in the frenzy of always wanting more.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:58 pm seems like you are getting somewhat caught up in the frenzy of always wanting more
No

Dear Urs, tell me please, any chance in Z3 redesign unison mode (eg 16 voice and more complex/flexibility detune voice mode)? Or this feature only plan «edm oriented synth» as Hive? Thanks.

We'll have more unison/detune options in the oscillators.

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 am We'll have more unison/detune options in the oscillators.
Excellent! :tu:

Does Z3 land above Hive 2.0 on the roadmap? Or are their Z3 dependencies on Hive 2 that require the latter to be done first (thinking of the scripting implementation)? Or will development occur at the same time and whichever one is out first is out first?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:18 pm Does Z3 land above Hive 2.0 on the roadmap? Or are their Z3 dependencies on Hive 2 that require the latter to be done first (thinking of the scripting implementation)? Or will development occur at the same time and whichever one is out first is out first?
Hive 2.0 is nearly finished from a development point of view. It needs time for preset designers and UI design, plus a few fixes here and there.

Note, if it weren't for having-to-update-every-plug-in-with-the-new-browser-so-things-are-fine-on-macOS, almost the whole staff would have been working on Zebra3 since last year. But as it stands, we have more than a year of delay simply because updating everything with a new preset browser (plus tagged presets, and NKS while we're at it, and move to UTF-8 and also needs a redesign and and and).

We wanted to have our maintenance updates finished by Q2 2018, but now we have maybe another year ahead before all updates are out (which is why we did temporary fixes last week for some products that we haven't even touched yet). Z3 will stay aside until then, with occasional work whenever possible.

It's a bit depressing, but that's how it's been for the past few years, and then we run out of cash and need to quickly release something else in-between (a quick Pro-One emulation... dang, two years gone... some quick delay and spring reverb mini plug-ins... boom, another year... let's add wavetables to Hive...).

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:04 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:18 pm Does Z3 land above Hive 2.0 on the roadmap? Or are their Z3 dependencies on Hive 2 that require the latter to be done first (thinking of the scripting implementation)? Or will development occur at the same time and whichever one is out first is out first?
Hive 2.0 is nearly finished from a development point of view. It needs time for preset designers and UI design, plus a few fixes here and there.

Note, if it weren't for having-to-update-every-plug-in-with-the-new-browser-so-things-are-fine-on-macOS, almost the whole staff would have been working on Zebra3 since last year. But as it stands, we have more than a year of delay simply because updating everything with a new preset browser (plus tagged presets, and NKS while we're at it, and move to UTF-8 and also needs a redesign and and and).

We wanted to have our maintenance updates finished by Q2 2018, but now we have maybe another year ahead before all updates are out (which is why we did temporary fixes last week for some products that we haven't even touched yet). Z3 will stay aside until then, with occasional work whenever possible.

It's a bit depressing, but that's how it's been for the past few years, and then we run out of cash and need to quickly release something else in-between (a quick Pro-One emulation... dang, two years gone... some quick delay and spring reverb mini plug-ins... boom, another year... let's add wavetables to Hive...).
Understandable Urs. Hopefully the browser updates and polishing off Hive 2.0 run relatively smoothly from here on out. And let's also hope that Apple doesn't decide to throw another monkey wrench into the plans like, "hey, we're using our A12 chips in our Macbooks and PC's now, please rebuild everything for compatibility!" :dog:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:28 pm"hey, we're using our A12 chips in our Macbooks and PC's now, please rebuild everything for compatibility!" :dog:
Good thing I still insist on keeping the PowerPC code around. We could still build for G5 in an instant, should macOS move back to it (of course we can't build for Tiger anymore...). And from what I can see, as long as SSE and AltiVec are abstracted reasonably well, it'll be an easy task to port to Neon or whatever it's called.

A much better monkey wrench would be "iStore only" or "sandbox all over". Or "Cocoa gone, C/C++ too, Swift all the way now". These would actually make us move away from the platform.

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:04 pm We wanted to have our maintenance updates finished by Q2 2018, but now we have maybe another year ahead before all updates are out (which is why we did temporary fixes last week for some products that we haven't even touched yet). Z3 will stay aside until then, with occasional work whenever possible.
You mean there would be no work on Z3 until Q4 2019? :cry:
Urs wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:04 pm Hive 2.0 is nearly finished from a development point of view. It needs time for preset designers and UI design, plus a few fixes here and there.
Sorry for asking, but what about spring reverb?
Murderous duck!

Spring reverb is alive. :)

Murderous duck!

Getting old... Will there be a Hive 2 beta?

Will it be possible to lock whole modules (e.g. OSCs, Arp) in Zebra3 when switching presets?
And something like the module presets like in Hive?

Oh, and perhaps midi out? :)

I think per-lane keysplits would be a nice addition. Using Oscs1-4 for keysplits only works if you're using oscs for your sound source, which isn't always the case (thinking specifically of synth drum patches - trying to build up a kit).

Per module presets would definitely be nice, bonus points if we could even set default settings for modules (especially effects). The ability to copy/paste multiple modules or entire lanes would also be huge. Think of the use case where I want to combine the pad in lanes 1-2 in patch X with this cool EP sound in patch Y. So maybe I want to paste lanes 1+2 in patch X into open lanes 3 & 4 of patch Y. Layering could solve for some of that, but I beleive that was ruled out in the past.

I'll probably get run out of the thread for saying this, but sometimes I use Zebra and just wish it had a basic analog Osc bank. I've got an Osc preset I use with the basic waveforms, but it'd be easier from a workflow perspective, and more like a traditional modular, if there were an analog osc bank module in addition to the current wavetable based Osc (we've already got FMO, Noise, and other noise generating modules).

Return to “u-he”