Linux is still not ready

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:04 am I almost wrote that he's there, up there. But then I saw it is stanlea. :oops:
Please no insults. I'm almost dead. :D
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:19 pm a minority pursuit for geeks who gain deep satisfaction from spending hours figuring out how to do stuff.
Will be fixed when Mr.Torvalds gains control over the universe:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/8/495
~stratum~

dellboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 am The strength of Linux is that there are so many distro's.

The weakness of Linux is that there are so many distro's.
Absolutely. When I was still using Ubuntu, I always hoped that some of the peeps working on other distros would join the Ubuntu team, so that they had the manpower like bigger OS's. But, if you think about it, it's pretty obvious, because there's a lot of "But... I can do it much better than anyone else!" attitude with Linux devs, which is kind of a common theme in the Linux community. Look at Torvalds giving the industry the middle finger. If they would be a bit more open to the industry and standards, then we wouldn't be holding this discussion, and Linux would be much bigger by now, on home PC's. I always say that their own ideology beats them.

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 pm
dellboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 am The strength of Linux is that there are so many distro's.

The weakness of Linux is that there are so many distro's.
Absolutely. When I was still using Ubuntu, I always hoped that some of the peeps working on other distros would join the Ubuntu team, so that they had the manpower like bigger OS's. But, if you think about it, it's pretty obvious, because there's a lot of "But... I can do it much better than anyone else!" attitude with Linux devs, which is kind of a common theme in the Linux community. Look at Torvalds giving the industry the middle finger. If they would be a bit more open to the industry and standards, then we wouldn't be holding this discussion, and Linux would be much bigger by now, on home PC's. I always say that their own ideology beats them.
Again, for many server side apps this problem doesn't really matter much because you can always rely on Mr.Torvalds and his attitude regarding the subject matter and be sure that at least the kernel works exactly as you expect, and then "chroot" or "docker" into your package which can contain whatever distro you like. :wink:
~stratum~

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 pm

This :tu:

stratum wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:15 pm [

Again, for many server side apps this problem doesn't really matter much because you can always rely on Mr.Torvalds and his attitude regarding the subject matter and be sure that at least the kernel works exactly as you expect, and then "chroot" or "docker" into your package which can contain whatever distro you like. :wink:
Server side apps - chroot -docker - kernel ?

Eh ?

I just want to make music.

dellboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 pm
stratum wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:15 pm [

Eh ?

Then don't do it with Linux.
The last time I had tried I couldn't even install maudio midi keyboard drivers. I'm sure there is a distro out there that already has them installed, if not, forget about it.
~stratum~

dellboy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:36 pm
stratum wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:15 pm Again, for many server side apps this problem doesn't really matter much because you can always rely on Mr.Torvalds and his attitude regarding the subject matter and be sure that at least the kernel works exactly as you expect, and then "chroot" or "docker" into your package which can contain whatever distro you like. :wink:

Eh ?

This. Most people want to "make dem beatz" in their spare time and just choose a tool that works out of the box, preferably is easy to use. They are even willing to pay more for a tool that does the job for them. It's quite the opposite of spending all your time on configuring the Linux and learning everything in first place. That sounds more like a job.

If everyone in the world wanted or even be able to handle Linux, IT engineers wouldn't be paid that much :P
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Linux hasn't been ready for 20 years back when I first tinkered with it. It's a time suck and a LIFE waster...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

InLight-Tone wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:13 pm Linux hasn't been ready for 20 years back when I first tinkered with it. It's a time suck and a LIFE waster...
It's running majority of the websites on the internet so I guess it's "ready", but it probably won't run your audio gear. Most of the time you run Linux when you already need to hire a system administrator for some other reason - i.e. a bank will have somebody who takes care of its website and database security regardless of whether it runs windows, macos or linux.
~stratum~

The audio "end user" on Windows or MacOS is probably a tech geek to the majority of Windows and MacOS users (less so on MacOS, where at least you don't need to know what "ASIO" means and "proprietary USB driver" means and how to configure Windows for real time audio).

Windows isn't ready for desktop, of course.

stratum wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:33 pm

It's running majority of the websites on the internet so I guess it's "ready", but it probably won't run your audio gear. Most of the time you run Linux when you already need to hire a system administrator for some other reason - i.e. a bank will have somebody who takes care of its website and database security regardless of whether it runs windows, macos or linux.
It should be self evident that we are discussing is, "is Linux ready yet to make computer music with", we all know about its use in servers etc.

The interesting bit is that I was able to download and install ubuntu studio to a usb stick and boot it live without a command line. I was then able to connect to the internet and download Reaper for Linux and install and configure it - all within 5 minutes.

I connected up my external synth and laid down a few tracks without the dreaded x-runs. I then even got my midi keyboard working and played the Reaper inbuilt synth. All this using only alsa sound with no dreaded q-jack thingy in sight (I hate that thing). The latency was very good too, much like asio.

All this without a command line. Progress is being made slowly.
Last edited by dellboy on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@stratum: You can't compare server and cloud application to Linux for home PC's. Linux on servers is sort of like Windows or Mac OS. It's driven by professional usage, and paid to be strange and reliable. Where it matters (a.k.a. where money is involved), Linux IS stable.

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:55 pm @stratum: You can't compare server and cloud application to Linux for home PC's.
I haven't made such a comparison. I said it works well on servers for this particular reason, and will not work that well for end users because the same conditions will not exist in the environment for home users.
~stratum~

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”