The Synth You Had The Most Fun With This Year

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Harmor, as it is every year. I'm consistently finding new things it can do. Been taking advantage of the easy copy/paste directly to/from image editor functionality a lot this year.

VCV Rack

The 3 ones that stood out for me last year are:

Repro for its excellent, rich, authentic analog sound. Eye opening
at where circuit modeling can achieve

TAL sampler for its incredible lo-fi sounds.

Granite for its incredible granular soundscapes.

at first I didn't think there was anything new for me this year. But I realized I got much more familiar with Reaktor Kontour this summer.

It's a fantastic instrument, though great fun I don't know about. It's tetchy, by which I mean it's very sensitive to touch or automation changes.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:51 pm I smashed a Yamaha SY85 to pieces. It was great fun.
Yeah, but what did it sound like? Please tell me you captured it's dying sounds.

Too late now but excellent idea. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

DUNE 3.

Grain in Reason. So much fun and so easy to create good unique sounds.

Omnisphere 2. It's really all you need. At least for me.

... until v3.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

U-he Repro

Zebra 2. Barely getting hang of interface but it's been a blast learning little by little how to use a synth. Demo'd a few and chose this one. Glad I did!

Software: Thorn. It just really nails that "throw a nice waveform into a good overdriven filter and then modulate some things" subtractive workflow. I really like the ability to add harmonics to basic waveforms with the scan knob. Ironically the feature I use the least is the spectral filter which is meant to be its USP: it steps too much under modulation and many of the settings kills the lower harmonics, which needs to be planned ahead and compensated by transposing.

Hardware: Plaits. I started some Eurorack this year and my current rack is basically Plaits + modulation. Especially enjoying the waveshaper and FM modes which have a lot of range under modulation while nearly always sounding good.

TAL noisemaker

Yorrrrrr wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:14 pmDUNE 3.
+1 :)
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”