Lamentation - 4 Part Chorale (SATB)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ChamMusic wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 am
JazzyClarinetMan wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:55 pm Sorry I forgot that I'd already listened to this one. I still liked i though.

I cannot work out how to delete this mistaken post.
Glad you enjoyed it a second time around!:0)

I don't think you can delete posts...just edit them.
Thank you for the advice, I think you are right. I will try to be more careful next time.

My son who is a professional musician and producer loves your music and asked if he could contact you about something. On here or using your email? I am supposed to ask this using a DM or something but I cannot work that out very well.
Jazz Clarinet Rocks - well sort of Swings anyway!

JazzyClarinetMan wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:33 pm
ChamMusic wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 am
JazzyClarinetMan wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:55 pm Sorry I forgot that I'd already listened to this one. I still liked i though.

I cannot work out how to delete this mistaken post.
Glad you enjoyed it a second time around!:0)

I don't think you can delete posts...just edit them.
Thank you for the advice, I think you are right. I will try to be more careful next time.

My son who is a professional musician and producer loves your music and asked if he could contact you about something. On here or using your email? I am supposed to ask this using a DM or something but I cannot work that out very well.
mark@chameleonmusic.co.uk is my email for music related queries - he can use it no problem at all! :0)

Yes, you should've used a DM (Direct Message) for this sort of communication, but don't worry about it at all.

NOTE...no point in trying to contact me via KVR in general as I'm not on here very much most of the time and I'm 99% certain to be closing my account down by the new year anyway.

You can't close your account! Literally, you cannot. There's a whole thread about it in Site Stuff. :)

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

jancivil wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:24 am You can't close your account! Literally, you cannot. There's a whole thread about it in Site Stuff. :)

If I can't actually close it down, then I will simply 100% deactivate it in terms of communication with the wider world...my account here is NOT me and if I leave, I leave!

Done!

miss you already

thought I would leaven the situation with the Hotel California reference
humor...

but fail

Hey, don't leave yet ! :)

I haven't gone through all the messages in this thread but I did give a critical listen to the original post.

It's both a very satisfying piece and at the same time rather frustrating. The frustrations first: The rhythmic simplicity was too much by the end of the piece, it seemed to weaken its force by overmuch repetition. The harmonic movement had a similar effect, but I suspected that that was intentional, that an overall placidity of motion was desired rather than a more forceful harmonic vectoring. The satisfactions: Excellent audio production, very good mix of the voices, and an overall fine musicality. (Yes, this a very subjective review.)

Two questions for the OP: What is the text ? and, Are you a singer ?

Best,

dp

StudioDave wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:56 am Hey, don't leave yet ! :)

I haven't gone through all the messages in this thread but I did give a critical listen to the original post.

It's both a very satisfying piece and at the same time rather frustrating. The frustrations first: The rhythmic simplicity was too much by the end of the piece, it seemed to weaken its force by overmuch repetition. The harmonic movement had a similar effect, but I suspected that that was intentional, that an overall placidity of motion was desired rather than a more forceful harmonic vectoring. The satisfactions: Excellent audio production, very good mix of the voices, and an overall fine musicality. (Yes, this a very subjective review.)

Two questions for the OP: What is the text ? and, Are you a singer ?

Best,

dp
Very sorry in advance for this awkward message as I have been politely bullied into leaving it on bhalf of chamusic who is working with my son on some music at the moment - I should never have mentioned your reply to them both - stupid! Anyway here is Mr cham's reply - his final entry on KVR:

Hi Dave, many thanks for taking the time to listen and feedback some thoughts...always appreciated, (not that I'll be too bothered on here after this)! :0)

Rhythmic simplicity - This might very well be because of the very slow tempo - rhythmic subtleties can disappear somewhat when everything is soooo slow? Otherwise, I don't really get this point for two reasons...

1) It's fully contrapuntal with each of the 4 parts a separate melody line in its own right....there's actually a lot of rhythmic variety in there at times....even the rhythmic repetitions have subtle variations.
2) The rhythm is based around JS Bach. As a starting point I took the 'rhythmic flow only' (no melodic notes) from one of his chorales and then created my own melodic ideas from these. There have been significant changes to the Bach rhythms as well in a number of places, but not so many that I would call it 'simple'! :0)

The harmonic movement had a similar effect - Here I deliberately restricted myself to a particular variation on the Locrian mode...yes, it's not meant to be harmonically adventurous in terms of modulation etc...more it's a little experiment in how much subtle, nuanced variety I could produce with a limited palette.

NOTE: It is clearly tonal, (in case anyone starts suggesting otherwise)! :0)

What is the text? Latin phrases created by me on the theme of 'lamentation'

Am I a singer? In the past I have sung in choirs of various sorts...everything from Byrd and Tallis to full on Bruckner and the oh so 'WTF' Berg (Wozzeck). I've never sung solo parts as such...I can hold a tune, no problem, but the timbre is not overly pleasant! :0)

AND THAT IS DEFINITELY IT ON KVR!!!

BIG thanks to Wags for all the great MUSIC CAFE conversations...if only there were more like you on here!

Thanks to Jan for all the deeply musicologist interactions on the Theory pages...between us we sorted out a few fuckwits!:0) NOTE: Your comment about 'you can't delete your account' did NOT annoy me at all, it just helped me move the departure forward by a few weeks. :0)

Thanks to Layzer / Frantz and a few others for genuinely helping me to improve key areas of my composing - greatly appreciated.

Cheers to - Tim, Crow, Vurt, John (Allomerus), Donkey and everyone who has commented over the last 12 years, (well most anyway...some can just f**k off)! :0)

I've also listened to an extraordinary amount of interesting music on here as well...maybe a bit too retro at times for some, but it never bothered me!

I've just had enough of it all...amongst all the great contributors like those above...sadly there are also...

Too many nasty people who ruin it. (Couple that with slack moderation, some of the worst I've ever come across, and it's not pleasant at times).

Some seriously awful, pile of doggy doo music that occasionally beggars belief...no problem as such, but it almost always come from those people who simply cannot take criticism, however constructive it is...hmmm, I wonder why their music is stuck in a rut full of shit..hmmm?

Too many idiots who have no idea what they're talking about.

They've all seriously started to annoy me and it's not a pleasure anymore.

It also takes up way too much time! :0)

Mark
Last edited by JazzyClarinetMan on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazz Clarinet Rocks - well sort of Swings anyway!

Yeah, I've been here too many times. I have developed the coping method I should have years ago about such a place (it's not unique at all. Yes, I'm not going to be "content" at any internet forum you can't just block someone absolutely like on Facebook): it's just so ridiculous. You have to laugh.

Easy to imagine a couple of the fuckwits at Music Theory being such a bad sign of a community's mental hygiene one would just want to stay away. The very fact of the internet encourages people with a little bit of information to believe they know it all. I was just thinking how absurd it is that I'm saying 'Dunning Kruger Effect' all the time now. :arrow:

It's a challenge to maintain the collegiality aspect which is a must in my estimation.

FTR: I'm a shite musicologist, albeit I know several whole areas of the mechanics of music well enough to go into it for a bit.

JazzyClarinetMan wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:07 pm
StudioDave wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:56 am Hey, don't leave yet ! :)

AND THAT IS DEFINITELY IT ON KVR!!!

BIG thanks to Wags for all the great MUSIC CAFE conversations...if only there were more like you on here!

Thanks to Jan for all the deeply musicologist interactions on the Theory pages...between us we sorted out a few fuckwits!:0) NOTE: Your comment about 'you can't delete your account' did NOT annoy me at all, it just helped me move the departure forward by a few weeks. :0)

Thanks to Layzer / Frantz and a few others for genuinely helping me to improve key areas of my composing - greatly appreciated.

Cheers to - Tim, Crow, Vurt, John (Allomerus), Donkey and everyone who has commented over the last 10 years, (well most anyway...some can just f**k off)! :0)

I've also listened to an extraordinary amount of interesting music on here as well...maybe a bit too retro at times for some, but it never bothered me!

I've just had enough of it all...amongst all the great contributors like those above...sadly there are also...

Too many nasty people who ruin it. (Couple that with slack moderation, some of the worst I've ever come across, and it's not pleasant at times).

Some seriously awful, pile of doggy doo music that occasionally beggars belief...no problem as such, but it almost always come from those people who simply cannot take criticism, however constructive it is...hmmm, I wonder why their music is stuck in a rut full of shit..hmmm?

Too many idiots who have no idea what they're talking about.

They've all seriously started to annoy me and it's not a pleasure anymore.

It also takes up way too much time! :0)

Mark
Just read this after being away for a few days with work. Poor show, as Mark is one of the good guys - knows what he's talking about in terms of both writing and production, and knows how to give advice in a constructive and friendly manner. I'm sure anything I say isn't going to change his mind about going, but it's a pity it's come to this. :cry:

"Mistah Cham, he gone."

Well, that sucks.

He may have left the building but he's certainly not forgotten. I appreciate that he took the time to reply fairly to my review, which got me to a second listen. I expressed myself poorly with "rhythmic simplicity" - I meant that the treatment of the text is largely syllabic throughout, though listening again I hear the larger-scale counterpoint (to my ears, more like Palestrina than Bach). Given his imposed constraints, it's a pretty successful piece. It kept my attention.

So long, Mr Cham, may you fare well. [insert virtual haka here]

dp

I'm back from a brief KVR hiatus and I'm very sad to see Mark (ChamMusic) is gone. :(

Very knowledgable guy whose feedback is always spot on and very helpful. I hope he returns at some point.

....and he makes them great tunes :tu:

We'll miss you 8)

Yes, sad to see you go...
But I understand!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

What happened? Why did Mark leave?

Return to “Music Cafe”