Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Shiek927
KVRist
443 posts since 14 May, 2014

Post Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:12 pm

I completely agree they should have just gone the Korg M1 Legacy Collection route and just released the 1080 with ALL of the expansions automatically onboard. What they are doing right now is just forcing users to have to convert and do it themselves anyway ^^;. It's what I plan on doing once the JD990 plugin comes on in the next decade (xD) with the SRX dance cards since I love the filter on that thing.

One nice thing at least is that they apparently are not going in chronological order after all. So those waiting on the V-Synth (which honestly has had more of my attention lately) or those really late 90's/2000's legacy products don't have to wait an eternity. It may very well be the next thing released for all we know.

The rate of releases they are doing are painfully slow and I have little to no interest in their "Flavr", "Anthology" or pretty much anything else they are doing.

Atlatnesiti
KVRer
13 posts since 3 Apr, 2018

Re: Roland Cloud

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 am

beely wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:04 pm
As mentioned, they weren't downloadable, and the payload size was only 17KB, so was obviously just a glitch - but it shows at least that they are likely working on more SRX stuff, which is good news.
I’m a longtime member of Roland iCloud, but there is nothing available from what you mentioned.
Are trolling?

ghettosynth
KVRAF
11420 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 am

SLiC wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:42 am
ghettosynth wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm
SLiC wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:56 pm
This is turning making music in to an accountant course, music isn’t a value proposition to me....if I like it and it inspires me I buy it, no calculator needed 😉
Roland is counting on your inability to do a trivial post-hoc value analysis. That's how grifters have been taking your money since the beginning of time. You point has no teeth, you can't justify a lesser value by arguing that you don't care about value. That just means that the conversation isn't important to you. I suspect that you're not being entirely truthful though.

I suspect that most of us have purchased gear on impulse, we probably regret some and don't care that much about others. Truth be told, I bought K5 on impulse. But to say that some amount of money doesn't matter to you, and that's all that you're saying, I doubt, for example, that if you were inspired by Abbey Road Studios that you could afford to purchase it, that doesn't negate the argument that the same amount of money matters to others, nor does it negate the fact that others may prefer to get more value for that money.
But I already OWN Komplete Ultimate, so are you saying I should not buy any more plug ins because they are lesser value?
Nope, we all do that. I'm not arguing that you should or shouldn't buy anything, I'm arguing that any attempt to justify the value of the vast majority of subscription plans by comparables leads to the conclusion that subscriptions are, in general, better value for the vendor than the consumer.
Most of us have purchased gear on impulse because the gear is good and the sale is good and then not use it as much as we though we would....you then sit on it or sell it for a loss. With rental you can just pay 20 bucks a month, no buyers remorse, if you dont use it, stop paying, if you want to use it again, start paying again (its that easy).
Nobody is arguing that there aren't some advantages to subscription models. There are and if you don't like a product then only spending a month or two of subscription prices is probably cheaper than the loss of selling used. It doesn't take very long though before that's not true. That doesn't mean that there isn't buyer's remorse though, it just manifests differently. You probably won't experience it until after you've subscribed for some period of time and then realize that you haven't used the product very much. I've seen people express exactly that sentiment in terms of, e.g., the Slate subscription.
I still think RC has SAVED me money as I was going to buy a system 8 (for 1000+ bucks) and getting the software version killed the desire top paying.
LOL! Save that justification for the old lady. That's a bit like saying how much money I save on hookers and blow by being into music.
....it also gently injects me with new surprise toys periodically an acts as methadone to my GAS :hyper: :tu:
That you pay for.

Use whatever justification makes you happy. I pay $5 a month for my xbox gold. I don't give a shit that other people think it should be free, I just like racing online and that's worth $5 to me. But I'm not going to try to convince you that it's better value than, e.g., playstation or some other model that doesn't charge you. I like the Forza games and no amount of discussion is going to get me to switch to Gran Turismo.

That's all I'm saying. Comparatively, subscription models, so far, are all bad value in the long run.

One thing that I think that is good about them is that one can jump in and jump out for low cost. But that's like renting a movie and if I go into it with that attitude I'm ok with the idea of renting software. If I really wanted to use the Roland analog models (I don't) for a project then I could get the cloud for two or three months, finish the project, and move on. If I were to make a prediction, I think that's where this will go. Subscribers WILL get buyers remorse and they WILL start doing the same math and they WILL recognize that they are often better off to just use vendor specific subscriptions on a temporary basis. Expect pushback though, just like other subscription services. That's not how they want you to use their product. They want you to buy into the the grief from loss of access. As their catalog gets bigger, it becomes more like East/West where it may make sense to rent for a few months to complete a project.

If too many customers do that, Roland will drop you like a hot potato. They will start trying to adapt the model to make it harder to just come and go.

This idea is better for instruments, I think, than it is for basic mixing tools, e.g., Slate. Especially niche instruments like Roland. Yeah, those of you talking about whether the SC stuff sounds meaty or not aren't in this camp, you guys are addicts. The SC stuff was all shitty from back to front and side to side. If you love that crap, you have a fetish for it and you best keep your credit card properly aligned. I think that the majority though, will say that it only makes sense to rent for a month to render some client's midi files with a SC. For that, software rental is an advantage because who the f**k wants to BUY a software sound canvas?

I'm going to stay out of rentals for music software for now, but I'm interested in where it goes in the future for the POV of whether it does become a good choice wrt value for the consumer.

beely
KVRAF
1608 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:27 am

Atlatnesiti wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 am
I’m a longtime member of Roland iCloud, but there is nothing available from what you mentioned.
Are trolling?
If you read the thread, you'll see that before you replied, someone already contacted Roland Cloud to ask them, and they then fixed their error, which is why they were no longer visible when you looked.

cloudytoday.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shiek927
KVRist

Post Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:05 am

beely wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:27 am
Atlatnesiti wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 am
Are trolling?
If you read the thread, you'll see that before you replied, someone already contacted Roland Cloud to ask them, and they then fixed their error, which is why they were no longer visible when you looked.

cloudytoday.jpg
Oh snap :O

If that really is a sneak-peak at what comes next, that's not so bad! I was hoping they'd do the Dance Cards :D. With any luck, they're putting both the "Platinum Trax" and "Supreme Dance" cards into one plugin instead of two.

czsynth
KVRer
6 posts since 27 Jul, 2018

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:13 pm

Roland Cloud update Play2-4Life

db3
KVRAF
1912 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm

czsynth wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:13 pm
That's much more like it. $199 for a couple of "permanent" licenses. 8)

Purchase a one-year subscription to Roland Cloud for $199. Enjoy our suite of synths and drum machines like the TR-808 and the newly released JX-3P. Plus, access new instruments as soon as they become available. The best part is, even if you don’t renew, keep using TWO instruments* for as long as they’re available in the catalog.

Only disappointment is the "as long as they’re available in the catalog" wording, as it could be abused, and no mention of being able to update your selection in that eventually.

*edit
Actually as I read this again...It says you get to choose 2 if you don't renew. So if you do renew you might completely lose the ability to claim those 2 in the future. Hopefully it means if you don't renew at any time in the future.
Last edited by db3 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-dthree-

beely
KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm

And confirmed you need to stay a "member" to use the permanent licenses, meaning the authorisation scheme is likely what we all conjectured it to be.

SLiC
KVRAF
3035 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:48 pm

That’s very cool, twice what was promised and it will be hard for most people to argue that two if those VSTs are not worth 199 PLUS you get the. All for a year!

Nice one Roland
i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

sinemotor
KVRist
141 posts since 24 Dec, 2015

Post Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Their "Loyalty Program" seems to be up. I logged in to rolandcloud.com and found out that I could get rewarded with 2 instruments.

cocoazenith
KVRian
543 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Blue Crest, Eastern Europe

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:53 am

beely wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:44 pm
And confirmed you need to stay a "member" to use the permanent licenses, meaning the authorisation scheme is likely what we all conjectured it to be.
i think that means not closing your account. i am currently a member with an inactive subscription.

tiktok
KVRer
3 posts since 7 Jul, 2017

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:52 pm

db3 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 pm
czsynth wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:13 pm
That's much more like it. $199 for a couple of "permanent" licenses. 8)

Purchase a one-year subscription to Roland Cloud for $199. Enjoy our suite of synths and drum machines like the TR-808 and the newly released JX-3P. Plus, access new instruments as soon as they become available. The best part is, even if you don’t renew, keep using TWO instruments* for as long as they’re available in the catalog.

Only disappointment is the "as long as they’re available in the catalog" wording, as it could be abused, and no mention of being able to update your selection in that eventually.

*edit
Actually as I read this again...It says you get to choose 2 if you don't renew. So if you do renew you might completely lose the ability to claim those 2 in the future. Hopefully it means if you don't renew at any time in the future.
If one of your reward instruments is removed from the catalog, then you'd be able to pick a replacement.

Everyone who had a paying subscription prior to the launch of the holiday promotion will get two instruments when they reach 12 loyalty credits. Everyone who signs up for the holiday promotional offer gets two instruments right away.

beely
KVRAF

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:08 pm

The next SRX *plugin* is available: Dance-Trax.

https://www.rolandcloud.com/home/news/srx-dance-trax

Shiek927
KVRist

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:33 pm

beely wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:08 pm
The next SRX *plugin* is available: Dance-Trax.

https://www.rolandcloud.com/home/news/srx-dance-trax
And I love it! :D

I am a tad bit disappointed because I thought the name "Dance Trax" implied it was a combination of both Dance SRX cards: Supreme Dance and Platinum Trax. Apparently it's just the former.

Even so, it's one definite thing I was hoping for. Fantastic that it's here! :D

czsynth
KVRer
6 posts since 27 Jul, 2018

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi, I think this vsti is mix of Supreme Dance and Platinum Trax.
Specs
Specifications
Maximum Polyphony 128 Voices
Part 1 Part
Waves Standard: 1083 Waves
SRX: 1159 Waves NOT ORIGINAL 818 WAVES!

Return to “Instruments”