Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:00 am
bundoo wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:03 am Back on track: with the UI flat is good. If done properly.

But the console in the mixer is one of the stupidest most inefficient things Cubase has had. They pandered like Reason to some SSL archaic mindset rather than saying we have EVERY possibility in the digital realm and we can make something fresh clean and useable. Nope...just something that is supposed to look like a 40-year-old room full of expensive knobs.
OK... We are in opposite fields, then. I "hate" flat GUIs (and all the "flat trend" in general) and I "like" the Reason mixer. I wish Steinberg did something like that.
Fair enough. I guess my point is that if you’re gonna do flat do it well, hyper realistic...make it awesome
I feel cubase is half baked.
Last edited by bundoo on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

The GUI needs more options to change it, its too damn dark in 9.5 and apparently 10 is even darker.

If I wanna see Cubase like I did in 6.5 which is what I liked, I should be able to set it that way. they allowed custom templates in V7 or 8 , but took it away, wtf are the smoking regards GUIs ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

You can make it lighter in the preferences

Sym links are great. Just make sure you keep a note if what you've done for any back up reinstall :)

MFXxx wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:05 pm Sym links are great. Just make sure you keep a note if what you've done for any back up reinstall :)
What about updates? Will the sym links work with the update installers?
Fernando (FMR)

Hi

Does someone know where to find the cubase 10 demo project ? ( i don't talk about the trial )

Thanks

??

fmr wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 pm
MFXxx wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:05 pm Sym links are great. Just make sure you keep a note if what you've done for any back up reinstall :)
They will, they will work with absolutely everything. Let's imagine that you have an installer that installs something into C:\Cubase and then you move everything from C:\Cubase into D:\Cubase instead. Then you create a symlink so that C:\Cubase leads to D:\Cubase. From this point on, everything inside D:\Cubase will be treated by your OS as if their location is C:\Cubase and likewise anything installed in C:\Cubase will be physically located in D:\Cubase. It also doesn't matter whenever you put anything into C:\Cubase or D:\Cubase, both will be treated as the same location.

This happens essentially in a level where you do not have to worry about anything. I believe only in server machines there are some additional layers to this in particular when it comes to privileges, but as long as you're the sole user in your computer, there will be no issues.

EDIT: Well, I was bit lying about "without worrying about anything". Technically speaking you still have to be careful about not symlinking anything accidentally and you probably want to remember where your symlinks are. For example, if you forget about the symlink and one day you find some installation where you wouldn't expect it to be and decide to delete it... well, that might be really bad news for you.
Last edited by Functional on Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clauclau wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:52 pm Hi

Does someone know where to find the cubase 10 demo project ? ( i don't talk about the trial )

Thanks
I don't think there is a demo project yet for Cubase 10.

Functional wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 pm
fmr wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 pm
They will, they will work with absolutely everything. Let's imagine that you have an installer that installs something into C:\Cubase and then you move everything from C:\Cubase into D:\Cubase instead. Then you create a symlink so that C:\Cubase leads to D:\Cubase. From this point on, everything inside D:\Cubase will be treated by your OS as if their location is C:\Cubase and likewise anything installed in C:\Cubase will be physically located in D:\Cubase. It also doesn't matter whenever you put anything into C:\Cubase or D:\Cubase, both will be treated as the same location.

This happens essentially in a level where you do not have to worry about anything. I believe only in server machines there are some additional layers to this in particular when it comes to privileges, but as long as you're the sole user in your computer, there will be no issues.

EDIT: Well, I was bit lying about "without worrying about anything". Technically speaking you still have to be careful about not symlinking anything accidentally and you probably want to remember where your symlinks are. For example, if you forget about the symlink and one day you find some installation where you wouldn't expect it to be and decide to delete it... well, that might be really bad news for you.
Fernando (FMR)

Np. Also, experiment first how the symbolic linking actually works so you'll understand how to drop them in.

Reefius wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:52 pm
clauclau wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:52 pm Hi

Thanks
I don't think there is a demo project yet for Cubase 10.
Ok thanks

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:37 am
I dunno, I find it really strange that a company with so much money can't design a decent unified GUI.
I don't know what you are seeing, but I completely disagree. Cubase 10 is very refined, beautiful to look at and clear in detail. Sure there are a couple of windows that pop out that give away it's age, but they've done a great job IMO.

Studio One has the flatest one dimensional GUI going, it's hard to distinguish elements. Kontakt fades right into the arrange view where you can't make out the border to click and move it, and my eyesight is excellent.
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

fmr wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 am
rollasoc wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 am I did finally remove 8 and 9 off my machine to make room for 10.
Plus moved all the content to another drive.
Can we move the content after installation? How?
Yes, there's actually an "official" way to do this and it's not Sym links. Steinberg has an app to do just that which installs with Cubase. So...

1. Exit Cubase - you won't be able to move all the content with it open
2. Open the "Steinberg Library Manager" - it's a separate application
3. This shows the Cubase content and has an option to move each library
4. In addition, there are two tabs along the top, one for Halion content, one for Groove Agent content
5. Select the library you want to move, click the move button, and pick destination location
6. And repeat as needed

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:13 pm
fmr wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 am
rollasoc wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 am I did finally remove 8 and 9 off my machine to make room for 10.
Plus moved all the content to another drive.
Can we move the content after installation? How?
Yes, there's actually an "official" way to do this and it's not Sym links. Steinberg has an app to do just that which installs with Cubase. So...

1. Exit Cubase - you won't be able to move all the content with it open
2. Open the "Steinberg Library Manager" - it's a separate application
3. This shows the Cubase content and has an option to move each library
4. In addition, there are two tabs along the top, one for Halion content, one for Groove Agent content
5. Select the library you want to move, click the move button, and pick destination location
6. And repeat as needed
Thanks. I thought the Library Manager was just for HALion and Groove Agent :tu:

I will check this first, and Symbolic Links too (may be helpful for other stuff).
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”