LFO rates

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way that we can multiply the rate of an LFO within Melda?
For the time being I am using the Custom Shape to create multiple versions of the LFO shape.

As in clicking "Advanced" and setting Harmonics 1 to zero, adjusting for instance Harmonics 2 up to 100% to have the rate multiplied by 2 etc? Or did you mean something else?
werzel wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:34 pm Is there a way that we can multiply the rate of an LFO within Melda?
For the time being I am using the Custom Shape to create multiple versions of the LFO shape.

Gone soft wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:55 am As in clicking "Advanced" and setting Harmonics 1 to zero, adjusting for instance Harmonics 2 up to 100% to have the rate multiplied by 2 etc? Or did you mean something else?
No.
Let's use MChorusMB as an example. The maximum Rate is 20Hz. I want to abuse the plugin by moving the Rate higher than 20Hz (for sound design reasons). If the LFO controlling the Rate (bottom of the plugin) had a multiplier button so that we could choose to add 2x, 5x, 10x, 20x, etc. (?) to the Rate, then we could explore further without a workaround.
For now, I am using the Custom Shape tab in the LFO section and drawing out a multi-cycle Sine in order to increase the speed of the LFO beyond the 20Hz Rate.

You could make a custom curve with multiple cycles within one cycle. So lets say you're using a sine wave, switch it to custom curve and draw in a double cycle sine, so that it has two sine waves displayed. You can use the sine curve mode so it's an accurate sine wave.

That's one idea to try out.

I'm not telling you anything if you're just going to tell me to do what I'm doing, vector! :lol:

Now that I've been messing with higher LFO rates, I've come up with an even dumber idea:
Does anyone know of a plugin that can generate Ultra High Frequencies? And have any idea on how I could use them as modulators without breaking something?!

Audio rate modulation is there in MSoundFactory. It works really nicely and there is a cool feature "Follow note frequency" that makes the LFO rate match the input note.
Maybe Vojtech will add it also to the FX in future?
It wouldn't work to extend the range of the LFO rate, as this will break backwards compatibility. However, an "Audio Rate" switch would be nice. When active the LFO rate range would go from 20hz to 20,000hz.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Well, very high frequencies are usually rather bad idea for modulation, but it probably depends on what you want and what you modulate. In any case, the higher the frequency, the higher "Smart interpolation" in settings it should be, you'll probably Extreme. And at some point you'll probably need to use oversampling. And at some point you'll just get a whole madness of audio artifacts :D.

Edit: As jmg8 wrote, in MSoundFactory there is ultrahigh frequency modulation, but that's a very special case. It wouldn't work well for most effects.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

My latest experiments were done using Sytrus (the only plugin that I have that is capable of UHF generation that I know of). The operators there are able to be set at 9999.99Hz with a multiplier setting of 64x. It is definitely not pretty sounding, FMing at those rates, but very interesting! I am very curious to see if I can find ways to use those higher-than-audible sounds as LFO shapes for other types of modulation.
It is new and interesting to me and I'm trying to push the boundaries that I know of...something Melda always helps me to do. (artifacts aren't always a bad thing!)

Hehe yeah, well, I think it you are luck, all the artifacts may sound interesting, but it will be like once out of 100 :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

For what its worth, the LFO of Behringer's Neutron (hardware synth) goes up to 10kHz. Wave's LFO of H-Delay manages 6kHz (though "only" up to ~400Hz are fine grained).

I checked a few filter plugins and modulation plugins (AM/FM). They go up to 100Hz. Though chorus plugins often stop at 10Hz.

So maybe the LFO multiplier isn't such a bad idea after all.

Masi

Return to “MeldaProduction”