Some questions for Mastering engineers !

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AnX wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:55 pm
ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:47 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 pm you need a mixing engineer, not master.
I am speaking about stem mastering.
doesnt matter
Are you a troll ?

ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:54 pm Now, why do some people say "you need a mixing engineer" ? Why should I go with a mixing engineer, if a mastering engineer can do the work with stems mastering ?
because its not his job, and he will charge you extra for doing it.

do you know the difference between the two?

ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:56 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:55 pm
ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:47 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 pm you need a mixing engineer, not master.
I am speaking about stem mastering.
doesnt matter
Are you a troll ?
are you an idiot?

jancivil wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:56 pm Ok, if you literally can't hear it, you probably need some advisement. I'm saying, and others are telling you this is a MIXING question. Mastering doesn't enter into it unless you simply find that more amenable in terms of finding an individual to do the job.

I agree with you.

Let say a cymbal is harsh in the mix, but the vocals are okay.

If the Mastering Engineer cut the highs on the cymbals, it will affect the vocals, the snare, etc. too.

So it is not ideal, and the problem, yes, have to be done during the mixing process.

BUT ! If the mastering engineer is doing stems mastering, he just have to cut the highs on the cymbals stem, and everything is okay, right ?

If the ME is allowing stem mastering, it is because he is okay to work on some MIXING issues.

I am right ?

AnX wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:58 pm
ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:54 pm Now, why do some people say "you need a mixing engineer" ? Why should I go with a mixing engineer, if a mastering engineer can do the work with stems mastering ?

Of course I know the difference.

"because its not his job, and he will charge you extra for doing it. "

=> this is called stem mastering. And I am okay to pay the extra for that.

What I ask is : can the results be good with stem mastering ?

Here is what I read in the website of a ME :

"Stem mastering is a hybrid between mixing and mastering.Stem mastering uses groups of “like” instruments such as drums, synths, guitars, bass, vocals, brass section etc. It occasionally uses automation, but not always. It allows the mastering engineer more flexibility and control to improve the end result if there are any doubts or insecurities about the mix down"

From what I understand stem mastering is making possible to correct tonal balance issues accurately ?

Quick answer: stem mastering is mixing performed by the mastering engineer prior to them then mastering the same project.
For example, read:
https://www.sageaudio.com/stem-mastering.php

Hint: if you know what mastering is, then you realize why you can't actually master stems. There would be no point.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what that off topic semantic squabble is about.

You wanted someone to check your high end elements before the track is mastered etc.
I think it is a good idea to answer your original question.

Also, make a dummy mix yourself then compare your mix with the mix ('mastered stems') by the mastering engineer so you can see how affected your hearing actually is for future decisions.
Last edited by dark water on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dark water wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:08 pm Quick answer: stem mastering is mixing performed by the mastering engineer prior to them then mastering the same project.
For example, read:
https://www.sageaudio.com/stem-mastering.php

Hint: if you know what mastering is, then you realize why you can't actually master stems. There would be no point.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what that off topic semantic squabble is about.

You wanted someone to check your high end elements before the track is mastered etc.
I think it is a good idea to answer your original question.

Also, make a dummy mix yourself then compare your mix with the mix ('mastered stems') by the mastering engineer so you can see how affected your hearing actually is for future decisions.

Okay !! Very interesting !

So, the problem is about my title, I should write "stem mastering" instead of "mastering".

So, in order to have a concrete answer, yes stem mastering engineer could correct my high end to perfection ?

I'd definitely say it's worth a try.

Failing anything else, it always helps to have a second pair of ears (and in a more trusted professional environment) for any project.
Money and one's ambition for a project are the only possible considerations against this that I can see.

TBH, there's some excellent mastering engineers who frequent KVR (in addition to the ones that have got good reputations more broadly on the internet), who I'm sure you could come to a good deal with. Search around.

FWIW, I'd definitely give it a go this time if I were you. If nothing else, use it as barometer to see how your hearing and mixing stacks up.

I have also previously used a mastering engineer to do both the mastering work and also to mix ('master') my stems.
There are advantages to having the same person do both separate jobs: usually it is cheaper than two different people, and also they will perhaps be more invested with the project.
The disadvantage is that (in theory) there is a good argument for mixing and mastering a project in different studios with different ears, although this is a throwback to a few years ago and arguably not the done thing any more in this day of digital (and very proficient) home mastering capabilities etc.

ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:02 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Of course I know the difference.

"because its not his job, and he will charge you extra for doing it. "

=> this is called stem mastering. And I am okay to pay the extra for that.

What I ask is : can the results be good with stem mastering ?
if every single sound has its own stem, yes.

something familiar about this thread
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

dark water wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:26 pm I'd definitely say it's worth a try.

Failing anything else, it always helps to have a second pair of ears (and in a more trusted professional environment) for any project.
Money and one's ambition for a project are the only possible considerations against this that I can see.

TBH, there's some excellent mastering engineers who frequent KVR (in addition to the ones that have got good reputations more broadly on the internet), who I'm sure you could come to a good deal with. Search around.

FWIW, I'd definitely give it a go this time if I were you. If nothing else, use it as barometer to see how your hearing and mixing stacks up.

I have also previously used a mastering engineer to do both the mastering work and also to mix ('master') my stems.
There are advantages to having the same person do both separate jobs: usually it is cheaper than two different people, and also they will perhaps be more invested with the project.
The disadvantage is that (in theory) there is a good argument for mixing and mastering a project in different studios with different ears, although this is a throwback to a few years ago and arguably not the done thing any more in this day of digital (and very proficient) home mastering capabilities etc.

Thanks for this detailed answer !!

So you think it is definitively a good choice ? Do you think the ME could make any fix with the stems ?

(I am sorry my english is bad)

ClassicTrance wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:53 pm
Thanks for this detailed answer !!

So you think it is definitively a good choice ? Do you think the ME could make any fix with the stems ?

(I am sorry my english is bad)

Certainly I'm sure most serious, competent mastering engineers would do that for you if you told them that you were happy to pay for this in addition to the final mastering :)

FWIW, I went with a ME who I tracked down on the internet specifically because he loves and makes dub reggae track, and my project was dub reggae.

However, he was a bit expensive and I think you might be able to get a cheaper - but just as good - an ME here at KVR. For example:

viewtopic.php?t=458606

The advantage of going via an internet webpage ME is that they (always?) list their previous clients and studio setup (although I'm sure any ME on KVR would be only too happy to tell you about their achievements and setup too).

Good luck :phones:

Hink wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:40 pm Image

something familiar about this thread

Ohh, ze bellz, zze bellzzz!!!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”